This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Front End Clunk

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16426
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Super A
1958 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub Front End Clunk

Postby Ironlegs » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:53 am

I fully restored a 1958 Farmall Cub about a year and half ago. I use the unit for mowing a new evergreen "plantation" (one acre). The Cub runs great and performs the mowing fine. But, I noticed a "clunk" noise recently when I begin to back the unit into my building. I've jacked the front end off the ground and pulled and pushed on the front wheels and axles and am not able to produce the clunk. The steering box and tie rods are reasonable without slack but not tight. I've tried to wobble each front tire/rim but could not find any looseness. The axle pivot pin is in good condition and without looseness. Have any of you had this condition? If so, please tell me where else to look for it and how to remedy it. My current thinking is that the clunk may be caused by the toe-in of the front wheels...when I change from forward motion to back motion, the front wheels may flair and cause the noise in the steering system.
Ironlegs John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Re: Cub Front End Clunk

Postby Eugene » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:18 am

Check rear wheels for loose bolts, rim to hub and hub to axle shaft.

Mower deck wobbling?
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:19 am

Ironlegs wrote:The axle pivot pin is in good condition and without looseness.

Did you also check for end play at that pin (axle tube able to move front/rear)?

Eugene wrote:Check rear wheels for loose bolts, rim to hub and hub to axle shaft.

If you have wheel weights, check them too.

Chris D
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23027

Postby Chris D » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:08 pm

Check for spindle movement in the vertical housing where the spindles pivot from. Try grabbing the bottom of the spindle by the hub and move it front to back.
48 cub with full cultivators
48 cub all original 6 volt, hand crank, muffler, front + rear wheel weights, and fast hitch and a 1000 loader :)
Left hand plow, right hand plow, disc, grader/snow blade, lots of cultivator stuff, woods 42, and a few others

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:00 pm

More than likely you are missing a washer in between the axle pivot and the lower bolster housing, there should be one in the front and one in the rear. As Jim Said
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:31 pm

In addition to the other things listed, also check for loose bolts holding the finals to the transmission. Only one guess as to how I know this. I was hearing the forward reverse clunk and while looking for it saw a fender rock forward.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Postby Dale Finch » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:17 pm

You might also check the clamp tightness on the front axle if you have an adjustable one. I recently found one side of mine a tad loose by noticing the hole with the pin being wallered out slightly.

If not that, I agree with Jim and Boss on making sure you have enough shims on the front axle pivot pin.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1958 Farmall Cub

Re: Cub Front End Clunk--Post Mortem

Postby Ironlegs » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:02 am

I found the source of my Cub's front end "clunk"! The Cub has an adjustable front axle. The clamps (left and right) that lock the front axle center tube to the telescoping outer spindles were loose. The clunk came from the outer (right side) spindle turning until the vertical locking pin was contacted, one way when going forward and the other direction when backing-up. While inspecting for the source of the clunk, I found the steering box pivot arm a bit loose so I tightened this too. The clunk was found by driving the front of the tractor back and forth over a bump in my concreter driveway apron. I probably got 1-1/2 to 2 turns on both of the axle clamp bolts on each end of the axle tube.
Ironlegs John

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:04 pm

Some guys would pay to have the front axle loosen up that easily.

Todd

Groove Critter
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44045
Tractors Owned: 1948 cub (Sophie)
1949 cub Loren
1954 cub Nussie

Postby Groove Critter » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:53 pm

My last tractor has the front axle stuck in the tube. The last owner tried using heat w/o succes. Advice on treating that would be good to hear.
Dave
ps I dont suppose using coca-cola (like on a froze up engine) would help?
The glass is half full
the upper portion is wasted material
the content is delicious, cold and refreshing!

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:10 pm

Groove Critter wrote:My last tractor has the front axle stuck in the tube. The last owner tried using heat w/o succes. Advice on treating that would be good to hear.
Dave
ps I dont suppose using coca-cola (like on a froze up engine) would help?

I was very patient with mine - Days of Kroil. The one side came out well. The other side was not put in greased and was stuck. I used Kroil for a week.....then heat and a locust block. Check out this post for another idea

Ken

Ironlegs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1958 Farmall Cub

Postby Ironlegs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:43 am

All the pointers and advise from forum members was really helpful in leading me to the fix for my FCub clunk. I also own a Super A that I wanted to change the tire width about a year ago. Boy, the SA spindles were a real bear to loosen. I first tried to pull them outward by parking with the front axle between two large trees (used for winch anchor points). I had 3000 pound pull winches tethered between each tree and each spindle. I maxed-out the winches and lubed and banged all over the telescoping portions without success. I ended up taking the front axle to a commercial welder who used the better part of a whole acetylene tank to heat the outer tube before it would release. I didn't have a lot of paint prep to do to re-finish the parts once apart!

Our small IHC's are very handy machines to assist in caring for property. Although they (mine) require regular maintenance to keep in good working order, the many attachments and the overall way they're set up (hydraulics, PTO, tire options and variable stance, drawbars, plows/blades, etc) makes these units really useful. I have learned a lot about engines and mechanical power equipment by working with these units over the years. I hope the manufactures continue to make and have available good parts.

Thanks to all, again, for your good advice and direction in this matter.
Ironlegs John

Return to “Farmall Cub”