This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Parade Wagon/Trailer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27527
eBay ID: billy1135
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88
Circle of Safety: Y

Parade Wagon/Trailer

Postby Bills49Cub » Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Everyone...

So, I am pretty new to this forum and have, just today, retrieved my username. I have a '49 Cub and '51 H. I have been searching all the nooks and crannies and have had the hardest time trying to find the perfect trailer/wagon to pull behind my Cub. So far I think I have decided that I like the 4 wheel wagon type trailers. I do not have a farm, just a little one acre lot, but I live in a golf community. I have become known as the guy who take his son around on the old tractor. Since then, I have added one more child to my family and would love to start taking them in local parades (4th, Halloween, Thanksgiving/Christmas, etc.) Here is a list of all the websites I have found that have, or can make, the trailer style I am looking for. If any of you have any thoughts on either the website or trailer style, I would really appreciate it. Personally, I have become more attracted to the trailer on the Dutchcrafters website. I really like the Pioneer, but it will be almost 4000.00 delivered, whereas the Dutchcrafter trailer will be around 2000.00 or under delivered. Thoughts an opinions are appreciated!

http://www.countrymanufacturing.com/wagons.htm
http://www.pioneerfarmequipment.com/
http://www.ruralheritage.com/nutrail/
http://www.shadylanewagons.com/wagons.html
http://www.dutchcrafters.com/Amish-Made ... on/p/40917

Thanks everyone.

Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Parade Wagon/Trailer

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:14 pm

I got one of these a couple years ago. Wait for a $30 off sale then use one of their discount coupons to get the price down more. I had to make a few modifications to suit me and to make it hold up better, then built a flat rack for it. I'm happy with the results. It is probably on the light side of the ones you are looking at.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_47661_47661

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:54 pm

Bill - I too am "new" here and I've already posted some ridiculous amount of reqeusts for help...and all have delivered exceptional results. These guys are really super and I think, like me, you'll see that this forum is very information rich. To that regard, thanks for the links! :{_}: I've been keeping my eyes open for wagons myself and these links are helpful. I haven't seen these yet.

I've been eyeballing some used wagons. There was a wagon made specifically for the Cub that you may keep an eye open for. It's a perfect match. My neighbor also has a neat modified manure spreader (properly cleaned of course!) made by Mill Creek that is about 5' wide and 8' long with 15" AG tires on it. The gears and drive chains for the spreader have been removed and it makes a wonderful parade wagon. He bought it for $300 and put about $100 worth of paint into it. It looks super!

You might also consider buying a used utility trailer and modifying it. A lot of guys do that and it also is a lot of bang for your buck. I'm sure some of the others will chime in. These are just my thoughts.
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

nwfan1
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby nwfan1 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:59 pm

I have always thought that a baggage cart (the single level type) that the airlines use to haul bags around the airport would be the perfect size for a Cub to pull. They must surplus them somewhere - though they might be pretty used up by the time they get rid of one. Anyone know of a source for used airline baggage carts?
'54 Standard Cub #185939
'55 Standard Cub #192323
'55 Loboy #732 with IH 1000 loader
'55 LoBoy #1937
"No holes in my hoods!"

frederick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95125
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub hi-crop

Postby frederick » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:02 pm

Bills49Cub wrote:Thoughts an opinions are appreciated!

trailers do take up space. I restored a single axle rig that was farm built
50-60 years ago and designed a removable buckboard seat that easily fits
two adults or three kids with room in the bed for several more wrapped
up in pillows and blankets for christmastime tours.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67128#p558339

nice thing both it and the cub fit in the garage in a single car space.
I've fixed electrical problems with a hammer

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Found Some More links for tips!

Postby Bills49Cub » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:43 pm

I have found a couple more from another forum! These seem nice too. The Kory people have already been very responsive. I am eying the 300 with the metal frame, so all I would have to do is add my wooden bed to the metal frame and make it the height and style that works best for me. I believe the Kory people also had advertised some airline style carts too...but I think they are primarily based on this 3000 frame. Mama bear might also like the price too...she wasn't so keen on dropping $$$'s!

http://www.koryfarm.com/products/home-h ... l-3000.php

http://www.e-ztrail.com/racks.php

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:47 pm

As you all can see, I am trying to find something that is high quality and heavy duty if I am going to be toting my family around in it....I don't want top pull something trashy looking behind a fully restored cub...and detract from it. Also, I am looking for this style as I feel the 4-wheel style trailer would compliment the Cub

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:10 pm

I don't know what part of the country you are from, but around here many times light duty used running gears show up a farm sales and consignment auction (usually billed as "ma chinery sales" aka the social event of the year. If you are at all handy/mechanically inclined, an old running gear can be rebuilt, tightened up, etc pretty easily. They may be too far gone for use behind modern tractors or pick up trucks, but would be fine for a Cub. Good luck. John

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:35 pm

One thing you need to take into account is that a Cub has marginal brakes at best. Some of those frames start out pretty heavy and by the time you add wood and people, you may be pushing the Cub's ability to stop the wagon on any downhill stretch.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:One thing you need to take into account is that a Cub has marginal brakes at best. Some of those frames start out pretty heavy and by the time you add wood and people, you may be pushing the Cub's ability to stop the wagon on any downhill stretch.

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes...I have definitely thought of that. There is no downhill stretch in my area where I would not take the time, or lose much time by going into a lower gear. Many of the places where I would be taking any people are pretty flat to begin with. So, I am not terribly concerned with the brake effectiveness. And before I go out anywhere I would tote the trailer without any cargo just to make sure I don't get involved in something that could end with any injury or accident.

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:39 am

This is what I have come up with. Now, I am by any means am architect or draftsman...but these are my basic layout plans to help me get an idea for measurement and materials. I plan on putting it on a Kory 3000 runnign gear, as I feel it is worth the money to get a good runnign gear. ANy thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks

Bill
Attachments
Top View.jpg
more color
Top View.jpg (91.04 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Side.jpg
with some color
Side.jpg (63.8 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
Side View.jpg
blue prints
Side View.jpg (70.38 KiB) Viewed 1835 times
TOP view 2.jpg
Prints
TOP view 2.jpg (57.3 KiB) Viewed 1835 times

frederick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95125
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub hi-crop

Postby frederick » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:29 am

Bills49Cub wrote:ANy thoughts or ideas would be appreciated!

if that's true, a better idea of what you have in mind might help (me anyway).

a sketch showing us a front or rear elevation is a must; that and the other
views need to have the components illustrated in their correct proportions.

also consider how much space a comfortably seated person takes up...
room for legs, padding, egress, ingress...4' x 8' is not much real estate.
I've fixed electrical problems with a hammer

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:43 am

The front and rear will have the same styles as the sides. I plan on having stake guards that will hold the guards in place. My wife, kids and maybe one or two of my son's friends are really all the people I would have in it...not like having several adult couples in there....going for a small parade float, family hay ride type feel, while having somethign I can manage in my yard I cannot go much wider than I have here as it won't fit through my gate into my back yard. To get in and out, I will simply raise the front or rear gate and allow my wife and kids in...the replace gating. The wheels on teh Kory are 18.5 inches I believe...add a 4x6 or (2) 2x6's an that will lift is some, then there is the 4x4 cross members and the 2x10 decking. I am guessing, that the deck will end up being in the area of 20-24 inches off the ground. Then I will have the siding whcihch will be in the area of 16 -18 inches.

And again...I am no Picasso...these drawings are to get me going in a direction. Which is why i put them up on here...to see if there are any major areas taht need help...or something that is totally wrong. I am basing this drawing off of several other wagons that were built and had some pictures. There doesn't seem to be a definitive collection of writings on building hay wagons for a Farmall Cub...So, pictures are all I really have to go by.

Some other points...I am looking at corner connectors for the ends of teh guards to help keepthem from flopping around.

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:54 am

frederick wrote:
illustrated in their correct proportions.

Unfortunately, all I have right now is a straight edge and pencil. I am not quite sure if you have the ability to make drawings to scale on paint...and I have never tried Autocad before, but I think we may have a version on our bridge computer...I am tryin' I am going to do this slowly and methodically...I want to make it right...also...if I spend too much time on it, my wife will kill me! :help:

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:22 am

Jim Becker wrote:I got one of these a couple years ago. Wait for a $30 off sale then use one of their discount coupons to get the price down more. I had to make a few modifications to suit me and to make it hold up better, then built a flat rack for it. I'm happy with the results. It is probably on the light side of the ones you are looking at.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_47661_47661

I have this wagon - We use it on the farm for taking fertilizer and stuff for planting to the fields. I've had it for 4 years and it's holding up really well.

Ken

Return to “Farmall Cub”