This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

IH Cub Year made.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Wayne Selph
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 32640

IH Cub Year made.

Postby Wayne Selph » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:02 pm

I just inherited a "Cub" with these numbers on the engine block ( 4 19 Q), which my research shows to be made on April, 19th, 1947. By the way, I am a novice about mechanics. My first of many questions is that the tractors is yellow and beige in color, but is red everywhere the paint was worn. The hood and tank looks a lot newer than the rest of the tractor, the exhaust comes through the hood as well. When I researched the age tables online the "Q" year only came up in 1947, the first year made, and was skipped when the numbers started over. Could this tractor be newer than 1947? I am still cleaning the serial number plate for more identification. It has been in my family for years 25+/-. My dad who is 88 cannot remember the details about a lot of it. He is confusing it with other Cubs we had in the past. I plan to do a ground up restoration.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: IH Cub Year made.

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:06 pm

G'day to you Wayne and congrats :applause: on your new to you "inherited" Cub. These are the most special .. not because of the year or anything, but simply because they are family Cubs and have a strong connection to past and present keepers :D

To answer you primary question, it would be yes anything is possible. Your Cub might actually be newer with a replaced engine block or .. the hood and grille may have been replaiced. Is there a Engine Serial Number. - check here - Identiy Your Tractor - or a Serial Number of the Cub itself - see the front bolster. Also, check the casting #'s for the other major castings to see if they match the Q date code.

Without a pic it is pretty difficult to say either way, ... so a pic would be nice.

We have a lot of resources for our members so I would strongly encourage you to spend a little time and peruse the links below:

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: IH Cub Year made.

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:04 pm

Could this tractor be newer than 1947?
Perhaps. You will need to check all of the casting codes as well as the serial number plate. Dating a Cub is sometimes problematic in that parts are interchangeable. Example. My Cub has a 1948 serial number, but - but. The tractor was assembled at some time in the past from parts, cast code dated 1947 to 1955.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”