This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Banana Cantaloupe

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Banana Cantaloupe

Postby Eugene » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:40 pm

Purchased a packet of banana cantaloupe seed for 70 cents. Getting 5 or 6 nice sized fruits.

Question. Any one have any experience with banana cantaloupe. Reading internet, getting mixed reviews.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Re: Banana Cantaloupe

Postby v w » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:04 am

Grew them once. Enough said? I have a favorite. aphrodite, (similiar to athena) so why grow something else although I try something new each year. This year it is Jill melon, Supersauce tomato and did a little grafting of tomato plants. Grafted plants are not IMHO worth the money but are fun. I have a plant growing both red and yellow tomatoes. Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 am

I try something different in the garden every year. This year it's the banana cantaloupe based upon the description in the catalog.

Few years ago I planted New Guinea butter vine based a neighbor's rave reviews. Prolific, took over the garden. Lots of fruit. Didn't taste any where nearly as good as advertised.

I grow several types of standard cantaloupe and small refrigerator sized water melon. Must have been a mix up in one seed packets. One hill has watermelons in the 20 or more pound range.
I have an excuse. CRS.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:45 am

To each his own. You may find you like the banana melon. I thought they were tasteless. If you are growing a hybrid melon it may have reverted to its partentage. When I worked for a greenhouse we had some early girl tomatoes with a potato leaf much like some old heirloom types. Doesn't happen often. Vern

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:32 pm

Won't plant banana cantaloupe again. Grew well, nice sized fruits, didn't burst with excess moisture/rain. Nobody thought much of the taste, rather bland, and didn't ask for any more of the fruits.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:04 pm

My cantaloupes were a bust this year, as was most of the rest of the garden. Only the corn and green beans did well. Too cold, too wet.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”