This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Help - Can I use a Woods L59 on a 1956 Lo Boy?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01730

Help - Can I use a Woods L59 on a 1956 Lo Boy?

Postby bbushnell » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi All - Need some Guidance.

I am looking at a 1956 6V cub lo boy seems in good shape. It has a cutter bar, snow plow, and land plow and quick connect hitch, but no belly mower. I have 13 acres of fields to mow and limited funds. about 3 of the acres are lawn the rest is field. I have found a woods L59 belly mower for sale for $500.00. Is this year lo boy able to drive the 59" woods three blade mower without trouble? I have driven a 1962 Lo Boy with the same mower and it struggles a bit on the hills so I am wondering if I would be asking too much of this machine? Oh, the seller wants $2400 for the cub so by the time I get through adding the woods deck i would have almost $3k in it. Any thoughts for me? Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Help - Can I use a Woods L59 on a 1956 Lo Boy?

Postby Rudi » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Bob:

G'day to you and I kinda hope you get that Lo-Boy. Will it handle a Woods L-59? Woods Mower Manuals - Woods L59 C-1 for IH Cub Lo-Boy, Woods L59 C-2 for IH Cub Lo-Boy. The main differences are essentially the mounting brackets. You would have to make sure that the brackets with it are for the lo-boy or you have some made.

Image to Farmallcub.com :big smile: Forum Family. And you have come to the right place for all things Cub related. If you click on the Site Rules, Regulations, & Important Information, it will point you to :arrow: the Welcome Wagon wherein you will find links to many useful sites and topics. One of the most important resources are Owner's Manuals, Parts Catalogs and Service Manuals. The Cub Manual Server is the home of the jpg versions and the [url=http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.php]PDF Manuals[/url] -- well the pdf's of course :wink: Enjoy!.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:20 am

My guess is you won't be satisfied. It will mow your yard grass with ease, but, I don't think the Woods 59 was designed to cut overgrown fields or pasture grass. You probably would have better luck with a Woods 42. Again, Just my guess. Papa.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:47 am

The sickle bar mower was designed and used for cutting hay and pasture.

Agree with Papa. I have about 16 acres of pasture. Grass, mix with fescue, sometimes gets to be 4 feet tall. My 154 Low-Boy with creeper, in 1st or 2nd gear - low, fully elevated belly mower deck, will barely handle that much grass.
I have an excuse. CRS.

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:46 pm

I had a 59 on my '58 LoBoy and it worked well in the short grass of my yard. If it got away from me it wouldn't handle it well at all, I had to take partial swaths. I have a woods 42" and that will handle grasses taller than my cub and even small trees. I sold the mower and turned the cash into another needed implement and haven't looked back.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:22 am

Have a 59" Woods on my '59 loboy - mow about 1 1/2 acres of lawn - handles it good in 2nd gear even up the slopes. Keep the blades sharp! If you're going to mow hay fields get a sickle bar mower, don't think the belly mower was intended to serve as a bush hog! Just my experience! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:50 am

If your governor is in good shape and the cub isn't worn out, it will handle fields just fine...as long as the grass isn't up to the front axle! I agree with Andy (Farmallcub49) that sometimes, if the grass is really heavy, you will have to take partial swaths or mow with the mower higher at first. The main thing is making sure that there is no slop in the governor and that the cub is in reasonable running shape.

My Cub, Merlin, mows 1.5 acres of lawn and then goes over and mows about 3.5 acres of field with the same mower. It pulls hard in the field, but it sure gets the job done.

Agree with the guys that the sickle mower will also do a great job on high grass in the field....

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:21 am

bbushnell wrote:I have 13 acres of fields to mow and limited funds. about 3 of the acres are lawn the rest is field.
Problem is, that even if the mower and tractor could handle the grass in the 10 acres of field, my calculations suggest that it would take 7 hours to mow with a 59" rotary mower. And that is for one pass, full cut, no problems.

Double or triple the time for partial swath, elevated deck.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:47 am

IMHO, if the time spent doing things with a Cub were a prime consideration, none of us would have Cubs, we would have to have different tractors. However, as I am often reminding folks, time is not necessarily the primary factor and Cubs can do a heck of a lot more than what is usually assumed that they can do. I have a $4,000.00 lawn mower -- it can't do 1/100th of what my Cub can do and it certainly could not mow an overgrown field with even small saplings etc.

I would probably look at a C-2 or a Woods 42 if the fields are going to be your primary cutting, but if you actually keep it mowed, then the 59 should do the job for you. The devil will be the first cut. That could take some time.

Remember that a little patience can save a lot of coin. Suggest you post a want ad in the Classifieds and see what happens. Also, watch CraigsList in your area or afield and see what comes up. $500.00 is a fair chunk of change for a used mower and I am sure you probably could get one for a better price.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:32 pm

I can save you all kinds of thoughts on it... DON'T buy the mower. For 2 reasons, one is an 'L59' (if that's what it is) spins the opposite direction from what a Cub does, a Cub should have a '59' The L is for left, the rotation of the spindles/blades. The second is you have fast hitch and even if you have a 'Cub 59' (59 C-1 or 2) you need different brackets, pulleys etc. Basically it probably ain't gonna work on your tractor and that's not a great price anyway. Also, a belly mower really limits what you can do with your Cub, a fast hitch is a pretty handy item but with a belly mower you are limited in what you can use the FH for.

I am killing my options sending you in search of a fast hitch mower, as I want a flail for my 'new' Cub. But occasionally one pops up. Woods 42F and RM42, IH/Danco C-2 and Mott flail mowers were made for a FH. But they are pretty hard to find. Worth the wait in my opinion, nice to be able to dump the mower off and put another implement on.

I would trade you a real nice Woods 59 (spray in bedliner underneath) for the fast hitch and some $$. There is nothing I can mow with it, and I do a lot of mowing. It's intended for a lawn, but will do fine in thicker stuff too.

BTW a white deck is L59 and orange is 59.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:23 pm

I have both colors, the old reds, the orange and the white ones and use them on cub/cub lo-boy 185/ and on Allis B and C tractors,--I never saw any difference in the blades!---I just hung the mowers on , sharpened the blades and mowed With them!---Guess I will have to look at mine again!
PS.--- I bush hog with my new 59 on the 185 --6 speed in L-1 and it will cut anything you can run the tractor over EXCEPT electric fence posts! LOL! thanks: sonny

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:40 am

I have a C3 Danco 59in swath and it works fine on my 57 lo boy F/H...I mow a couple of acres, no hills....I also have a 53 with an International C2 41 inch...It takes care of the rougher mowing...I agree with Buzzard Wing a fast hitch mower would be real nice :worthy: ...I change my belly mower often on the lo boy...Usually every week...(Build ramps, take off belts,pull 2 pins in back.disconnect chain, back up).... :lol:....The lo boy set up is much faster, better riding,don't smell the exhaust, don't knock hat off on tree limbs...Thats why I use 2 mowers... :lol: :lol: before someone asks... :lol: And yes that's to much money for the mower and IMHO for the tractor also...Unless its been rebuilt...Pictures???? Dave
In Memory of 58,286

charlespretzer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66850
Tractors Owned: Allis G.Allis B
Farmall H, M, 706
2 Cub Lowboys
MCormick W4
And a barn full of quality junk

Postby charlespretzer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:47 am

If the cutter bar is a sickle mower, you can use that on tall grass . I have a sickle mower & enjoy it. There's alot of mowers out there to be paying that much.
If I didn't already have 2 loboys,I'd buy the Cub.price seems good with the impliments. Make sure the tires are good along with the rims.Let us know how it all
turns out. Pictures are nice too!!!
Farmall 706,2 cub lowboys,an H & M
McCormick W4 Allis B & G.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:30 am

If you get this Lo-Boy and the L-22 Sickle Bar Mower with it, then you will have the ideal tool to mow hay .. much better than a belly mower. A belly mower would then be useful to mow what is left after the hay is picked up and to continue to mow those fields if you keep it relatively short. However a C-2 would be a far better choice for the fields - especially if you plan at some point to pasture animals. If not then a 59 would probably do a pretty fair job, just take a bunch more time. Whether the above mentioned mower is suitable for your use is something that you will have to determine based on the manuals and of course input from our members.

Let us know if you decide to buy the Lo-Boy. Either way, seeing as you are in Burlington, you may wish to come and join many of us at CubFest Northeast in Valatie NY Oct 11th - 13th at Cecil's. Lots of Cub stuff, lots of good information and fellowship with some really knowledgeable Cub owners and of course lots of fun :idea: :D

bbushnell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01730

Postby bbushnell » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:37 am

Thanks for all the feedback. My question should have been better phrased. I would only plan to mow the lawn, not the fields with the woods 59" deck. I would use a sickle bar on the fields. Have used a Woods 59 on a 1962 Cub Lo-boy for flat and small lawns in the past, but never on larger lawns and the ones in question have some long upward slopes. Since I am not there full time I am sure it will get ahead of me now and then. 6" and thick probably.

Sounds like the general opinion is ok for lawns, but not if they get too tall.

What I love about the Cub Lo boy and Cubs are the great versatility. From mower deck to sickle bar, to field plow and snow blade you just cannot match the capability if you have the right attachments. Not always easy to find them, but its got to be worth the search.

Thanks again.

Bob

Return to “Farmall Cub”