This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Parade Wagon/Trailer

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Parade Wagon/Trailer

Postby Eugene » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:25 am

Couple of thoughts.

1) Set the front of the bed back a bit further so that the tongue can be raised just past vertical. Save quite a bit of space when wagon is in storage.

2) Build removable bench seats horizontal to the length of the wagon bed. Bench seats snap over the wagon's sides and then the removable side rack snaps down over the wagon side. This will do two things, side racks will provide a bit of safety for passengers and seats will stabilize the wagon sides.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

frederick
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 95125
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub hi-crop

Postby frederick » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Bills49Cub wrote:Unfortunately, all I have right now is a straight edge and pencil.

with a simple grid to work from that's all you really need.
3in GRID.jpg
3in GRID.jpg (453.47 KiB) Viewed 422 times

drag this to your desktop, print out a couple of times and start sketching. consider each little square
to be 3", 4 squares = 12".

for example a 2 x 6 would be 1/2 a block high and 2 blocks wide; a 4 x 4 a squeak taller and
wider than one block if you were overly fussy. 4' x 8' sheet of ply would be 16 blocks by 32 blocks.

to sketch your wheels try different sized coins or bottle caps until you find something close...
an 18" diameter wheel would be 6 blocks wide and 6 blocks high. 24" dia 8 blocks x 8 blocks, etc.

use a sheet for each elevation...front/back, side, top (plan view). start by drawing to scale the
chassis you've settled on using the mfg dimensions (some will have dimensioned drawings to
work from) and overlay your superstructure.

working your design to scale will help you think through fabrication as well as allow you to
figure materials you'll need almost down to the last nut and bolt.
I've fixed electrical problems with a hammer

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27527
eBay ID: billy1135
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks Frederick...I will give this a try tonight and see what happens. If i make it work and come up with somethig more accurate...I will post it up and let you see what I have.

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:55 am

frederick wrote:
with a simple grid to work from that's all you really need.

Thanks...I looked around and couldn't find any grid paper...this worked fine...as far as I can judge...The top view is still a mystery, as I am not sure what planking will work best. I do not want to use flooring or plywood. I think the planking will look better. But the scale is fairly accurate i think. It is based on the wheels being about 18 inches high. AS far as the length of the wheelbase, I cannot judge if the 72 inches on the Kory website is 72" from front of front wheel to back of back wheel or from axle to axle. Chris, from Kory, is checking on it and will get back to me. I penciled in the wheels at both locations. AS far as moving the whole bed back so I can raise the tongue...I am not too worried about that, as the trailer will be kept in my back yard, where there is plenty of space. I am a bigger fan of symmetry
Attachments
Rear View.JPG
For some reason it did not do it in color...but you get the idea
Rear View.JPG (188.57 KiB) Viewed 385 times
Side View.JPG
For some reason it did not do it in color...but you get the idea
Side View.JPG (182.07 KiB) Viewed 385 times

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 am

Also...these drawings are based on the 18" wheel height and a 2" X 10" high stringer. I do not want the frame sitting to low and close to the wheels.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:02 am

By definition, wheelbase is the distance between the centers of the axles. If you add side rails, make sure they are high enough to keep someone from falling out, not short enough to ensure that when they do fall out they land on their head.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:27 am

Bill:

I am further going to muddy the mix. Mind you this option isn't for everyone as needs may vary, but the idea is useful to my mind. I see you are going to do a fair amount of the fabrication, not sure what your skill sets are but .. building a trailer is a pretty straightforward task and not difficult if you take your time. When I needed a new Log Wagon to haul my 4 foot firewood out of the bush, I was kinda bereft of extra coin so I had to do things on a shoestring budget. Course, that is usually the way I do things ... and even though I have an improved budget, I still tend to do things using reclaimed, recycled, reusable materials that fit the project needs. Remember that I am not a mechanic or a mechanical draughtsman, I is a cabinet maker .. :D So if I can do this, so can anyone else who is a tad handy.

My Log Wagon is easily adaptable to a wagon that you need. Instead of the taller posts, make a bed that rests on the structural beams and add seats to it as well as sides as pictured in your sketch above. Nice thing about this design is that the hitch and tongue are the same height as the Cub's drawbar which makes for a better and safer pull. I think I have all of around $100.00 in it. The tires are off of snow blowers and other yard equipment, the 4x4's are not expensive .. about $0.35/foot, and the steel I had laying around. All that is in the narrative.

Granted there is no tie rods or drag links to make steering real smooth, but it is just a trailer after all and doesn't need all them thar bells and whistles. I have placed some sheet goods on the bed and my kids and their friends enjoyed a hay ride. At the speeds that a Cub travels the finer things are not needed. This could end up being far easier on the budget. The wood is mostly pressure treat finished with some of Mr. Irving's finest SAE10W30wt that I had hanging around. For a people mover I would use a good Water Seal like Thompson's or such. This wagon was built 11 years ago and it is still in top notch shape, a couple additional coats of Mr. Irving's Finest keeps it in good shape. I try not to leave it out doors, but ..... no matter how big you build a barn, it simply is never big enough :big give up:

Image Image

Now if you really want to buy one, then I would be leaning toward this one, mostly because of the look. It fits a Cub and a Hayride image to me:

Most of them are really over sized for a Cub. The one that would qualify and one that I have looked at very closely at my local Princess Auto is the identical one that Jim identified at Northern Tool.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:41 pm

HI Rudi,

Thanks for that. I had contacted the gentleman from Nu-Trail and he was going to send me some pictures. But I am pretty set now on going with the Kory gear and building something like a few people have had. I do not know yet about the decking...PT 1" x 8" or 10" . AS I mentioend earlier...My time to work is limited, so I do not make my wife too upset with me, but I will eb doing it in stages...Frame and Cross members bolted, then wrapping and decking screwed and bolted...last thing will be sides. IF things go smoothly, which is a rare occurance, I will try to get all pressure treated lumber assembled and bolted on the same day so that is ends up blted in place to minimize shrinkage and warping. But last thing will be guards. My poor cub won't even be ready til November. I have a local guy helping me restore it to show condition. Ideally it will be a very nice match...ideally...

Thanks for the input!

Bill

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:49 pm

Jim Becker wrote:By definition, wheelbase is the distance between the centers of the axles. If you add side rails, make sure they are high enough to keep someone from falling out, not short enough to ensure that when they do fall out they land on their head.

I figured that about the wheelbase, that is why my drawing has it set up that way...But I just wasn't completely sure. As far as the guard rail height, I am thinking it will be about 20 inches high or so. People will eb seated when I am going and to get in and out, I will remove the rear gate.

I am not sure about the hieght though...I mean, I can make it so high and look ridiculous...but no rail is unreasonable. There are many that I have seen with no to medium height rails...but none of them are so high so that nobodly could fall out.

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Trex??

Postby Bills49Cub » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:12 pm

Has anyone made their decking out of Trex, or any other composite? It would alleviate warping, tiwisting and splinters...

ANy thoughts?

Bills49Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
1951 H
1951 Oliver Row Crop 88

Postby Bills49Cub » Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 am

In case anybody is still following...I decided to go with the Kory 3000 runnign gear. Chris was very helpful at Kory and I should have it in about one and a half weeks. I will take pictures of the entire progress from bare runnign gear to finished product in case anybody is curious as to what I did and how. I hope she comes out well!

Curtis
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44606
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub
1966 Cub
No 100 manure spreader

Postby Curtis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:57 am

Bill,
If you decide to go with the Pioneer wagon or want someone to look at it firsthand, I live near their manufacturing facility, and would be happy to have a look at it for you.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:08 am

Bill:

Sounds like an interesting project and yes of course please cause you know Image
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

goldencub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01770

Postby goldencub » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:33 am

I think I am missing something here. The four-wheel wagons pictured seem to have solid axles secured to a solid frame. That's OK for totally flat ground, but what happens when you go over ruts or uneven ground? Won't a wheel become airborne? I thought the front axle should be pivoted in the center so all four wheels are always touching the ground. Just curious. Al D
Maud - 1947 Cub #4364
Everything's better with Golden Retrievers, an old Ford V8 and a Cub!

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:46 pm

goldencub wrote:... The four-wheel wagons pictured seem to have solid axles secured to a solid frame. That's OK for totally flat ground, but what happens when you go over ruts or uneven ground? Won't a wheel become airborne? I thought the front axle should be pivoted in the center so all four wheels are always touching the ground. Just curious. Al D

From the 2013 Pioneer Equipment, Inc. catalog, I learned the following:
-The Pioneer wagon has an oscillating coupling pole which effectively fills the role of the pivoting front bolster.
-In addition, available as an option, are coil bolster springs on all four corners.
-Available in one of three weight ranges from 500 lbs. minimum to 4400 lbs. maximum.

Do I like their equipment? You betcha! In the interest of full disclosure, I do not have any financial interest in Pioneer Equipment, Inc. (I'm not a bewhiskered Amishman, although I wear a pair of Amish made suspenders. :lol: :lol: )

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Return to “Farmall Cub”