This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

pto disengages

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
okiecub51
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 73456
Tractors Owned: 1951 Ford 8N
1951 Farmall Cub
1944 John Deere B

pto disengages

Postby okiecub51 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:48 pm

hello everyone, I have a 1951 Farmall cub with a belly mower, that I got in a trade. The previous owner told me that when you engage the PTO it kicks out of gear.I took the shaft out, the shifter pin inside there is OK but the collar that slides back and forth the splines or worn out on it and the splines on the input shaft are rounded off :( it looks like the input shaft has moved forward and someone has took a welder and built up the splines and extended them on the collar so it would grab the input shaft :x so my question is am I going to have to split it at the tranny or up NY the motor? I don't know if I can replace the input shaft there that goes through the tranny or is it one big shaft that goes all the way to the clutch? Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated, I've never split a tractor before! Thanks :help:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: pto disengages

Postby tst » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:43 pm

it can be split at the trans and torque tube, do not forget to wedge the front axle before splitting, the shaft is the imput shaft to the clutch
good luck
Tim

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: pto disengages

Postby TJG » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:12 am

Can you post some pictures? Tearing the tractor apart is a lot of work. I'd want to have a plan (if possible) as to what needed to be replaced or repaired in advance.

If the tractor is going to be used for mowing then you need the PTO to work correctly. Otherwise the tractor can be used to garden or pull a trailer without the PTO.

Todd

Return to “Farmall Cub”