This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Change in Clutch

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44880

Change in Clutch

Postby 357cyrus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:12 pm

Over the summer I've started to notice a change in the clutch of my cub. Seems like as I ease it out, unless I do it really slow and at really low throttle, it acts like I've let it go too fast and at too high throttle. The front end hops up in 1st and 2nd. No change after its moving forward. Again, never seemed hop before this, and not with my other cub. Is this a sign of normal wear on the clutch, or am I overlooking something?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Change in Clutch

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:43 pm

Does it by chance set for quite a while between uses? My loader cub, which is only used occasionally tends to grab the first few times I use the clutch each time then improves.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 357cyrus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:58 am

I've had it out at least once a week since spring. Before that it would sit months at a time, and never seemed to have any problem with it. The hopping started in the past few weeks. I did run seafoam through the gas tank about a month ago. Like 8 onces in 4-5 gallons of gas. I don't think that would have given me enough change in throttle to change the way I shift, but I've been wrong before.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:54 am

You should be able to let the clutch out at any throttle level without it being "grabby." Otherwise how would you ever get going with a belly mower or a plow?

If "too much throttle" causes the clutch to be grabby, this problem has been creeping up on you for a while.

Beyond checking the spring finger adjustment, and adjusting the free pedal travel, there isn't much else you can do to the clutch except replace it.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Hengy » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 am

Have you looked through the hand-hole at the clutch fingers? I wonder if one or more of them is out of adjustment?
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

357cyrus
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 357cyrus » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:47 am

Hengy wrote:Have you looked through the hand-hole at the clutch fingers? I wonder if one or more of them is out of adjustment?

No I haven't done that yet.

Return to “Farmall Cub”