This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Zenith Main Jet Supplier

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06070
Tractors Owned: '54 Farmall Cub "Betty"

Zenith Main Jet Supplier

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:26 pm

Hi. I read some neat posts on how people test to see if their Cub is running rich and their applicable symptoms. I gave my manifold the finger-over-the-hole test. As I slowly moved my finger to allow a little air through I noticed the black liquid droplets and smoke spewing from my exhaust stopping within seconds. Seems to me Betty is drinkin' a little too much of the power juice. I checked my float and I'm at just about 1.15" from the gasket to the bottom of the float while in the closed position.

Two questions:

1) How can I tell what size main jet I have?
2) Who supplies replacement jets? I checked the sponsor sites and couldn't locate them. Unless I had one of those airhead moments and just didn't look in the right place. Hey it happens. :?

:thanx:
She thinks my tractor's sexy...

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Re: Zenith Main Jet Supplier

Postby Buzzard Wing » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Zenith carbs are fairly common. Check the parts manual and a dealer should be able to get one.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:50 pm

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/

Parts manuals provides an IH part number. Wisconsin engines commonly had Zenith carburetors.

Check for a number on the flat side of the main jet.

Guessing on my part, the main jet is not the problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:11 pm

Is there another part within the carb that would reduce the amount of fuel that is passing to the engine?

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:15 pm

Calvin:

I would imagine that the Zenith has the same problems as the Donaldson carb when it comes to fuel starvation. I would check the cage for a flake of varnish or some dirt/crud. You may also want to check the neoprene coated needle.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Connecticut Calvin wrote:Is there another part within the carb that would reduce the amount of fuel that is passing to the engine?

The Zeniths run a little rich on cubs most of the time more so if it is a replacement carb [ one with 5 screws holding the half's together] Unless it is flooding I would not be too concerned
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:18 pm

Connecticut Calvin wrote:Is there another part within the carb that would reduce the amount of fuel that is passing to the engine?
Higher then specified fuel level in the bowl.

Boss Hog wrote: The Zeniths run a little rich on cubs. Unless it is flooding I would not be too concerned
Boss
I have an excuse. CRS.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:06 pm

NAPA or Federated part number 7-02031. Part number in catalog says Wisconsin, on line says Clinton.

You will need to do some more research, but appears to be a Zenith carb kit and containing the main jet.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Connecticut Calvin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Connecticut Calvin » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:12 pm

Lowered the float a hair, adjusted the carb air needle by loosening it one half turn then gave the timing a tweak by turning the housing and listening to the exhaust. I turned the housing counter clockwise until the engine begin to nearly choke itself out from firing too early then brought it back clockwise until it began to smooth out. I gave the tractor a test by trying to push some mulch with the front blade. Poor power. Cut out immediately. I did the same thing two more times moving the housing just about 1mm clockwise each time. Bingo! Super power! Low smoke! No more liquid spitting from the exhaust! It seems my fuel and ignition system adjustments were off just that much and they needed some help. Thanks for all the input gentlemen! :thanx:

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:56 pm

I been wondering if a adjusting main jet assembly can be used from another zenith carb with a larger jet that can be leaned a tad when adjusted. I think McDonald ignition could have the answer. I know I have also seen larger and smaller venturi for the zenith carbs too. We can adjust the cc' s of the air flow in the zenith carbs. Oops that's more info than I wanted to give away. Kidding. I'm thinking about building a super cub engine.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:27 am

BigBill wrote:I been wondering if a adjusting main jet assembly can be used from another zenith carb with a larger jet that can be leaned a tad when adjusted.
Answer, probably and yes if the carburetor bodies are the same.

Zenith made several standard carburetor bodies, then changed the venturi and jets to match the manufacturer's engine application.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”