This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Questions about Dexter cattle.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Questions about Dexter cattle.

Postby pgmrdan » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:45 pm

If anyone here is familiar with Dexter cattle can you share some information about them? I'm considering having a few head of cattle around and the little Dexters (or Dexter crosses) seem like they're the right size and disposition for my needs.

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:58 pm

Dan, I am not familiar with Dexters but here is a page that has good info on their history & traits.

http://www.zoo.org/educate/fact_sheets/ ... dexter.htm
Then came Bronson

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:19 am

http://www.smallfarmtoday.com Back issues featured Dexter catle.

Eugene

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:29 pm

I was hoping someone here could share their experience with Dexter cattle.

Yesterday I contacted the American Dexter Cattle Association and they are mailing some information to me. They also have a nice website.

The little critters are described in a couple of different magazine articles and books as the perfect breed of homestead cattle. They are a 3 purpose breed; beef, milk, and, although small, draft. They were developed in Ireland for the little farms that used to be there.

There seems to be quite a few people that raise them in Minnesota and Missouri and a few in Iowa according to the ADCA membership list so I should be able to at least go look at some without driving too far.

Anyway, I find them interesting.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”