This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Howard questions

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43523
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

Howard questions

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:01 am

So I've read everything I could get my hands and eyes on but am still baffeled by the lack of info available on the L-28 or S-28. I looked on the photo host and found the photos posted by 55redcub. From that point the questions reemerged. On mine I have a round gearbox. From the photos on here his was square. On the parts list the rear shield brackets have notches. I haven't seen one with notches yet. So my question is mine designed for a cub or another series tractor? I'll post some pics later when I get them off the camera and on the computer.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Howard questions

Postby ToddW » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:16 am

My guess on the rear shield brackets is the earlier models had notches. I have seen more examples without notches than having them.

Notches lock in the dirt shield to much in my opinion. you do not want weight on that bent sheet metal dirt deck. If the tiller settings are to deep for the dirt shield the weight of the tiller goes on the deck (Bad). without notches, there will be give there and the deck shield can slide a bit on the smooth (no notches) brackets

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A
Multiple plows, disc, cultivators, sickle bar mower, woods mower, Mott flail mower, fast hitch, 154 blades.

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:53 am

Does anyone know what the ratio is for the gearbox also? Thanks

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:52 am

Here is the picture of mine after Rick Prentice did some straightening on it.

According to the manual
http://www.farmallcub.com/[ Sorry, direct links to manual section is not allowed. ]/index.p ... or&order=0

The rear skirt should be able to lock, and is used to help control the depth. It is plenty sturdy to control depth, mine was bent and to get it back to the right shape Rick ended up putting an outrigger of the back hoe on it and using the bucket to bend it back into the right shape. The fast hitch and the standard hitch are the same unit other than the point verses the drawbar mount, which bolt to the tiller with 3 bolts. I will move mine out where I can get to it and check the gear ratio a little later today when it warms up.

I am not sure, but by the pictures in the link above of the L28 (Farmall cub) and the S28 (Super A and 140) the S28 had the square gear box and the L28 had the round one, which would be logical since the higher speed pto of the cub would require more reduction and reversal of the direction than the 540 rpm of the super A/140.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:18 am

Like mine, yours does not have notches in the depth brackets. Notches were a design flaw IMO and where later eliminated

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks guys for the info and for the pic John. I knew I'd find answers here. Thanks again

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:33 pm

Also does anyone have an insight on why there is so little info available or how many were made? Is there a place that makes the decals still? Sorry for the huge amount of questions but I take pride in what I work on and want it to be as correct as possible. Thanks

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:58 pm

You might send a PM to tst (Tim Talleur) and ask him if he has any. He has made them for lots of implements and can make them if he knows what they should look like and the size.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:08 pm

I will do that. I was hoping someone still did them. Thank Bob.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:18 pm

Between helping one neighbor get calves in a pen to take to the auction, getting another ones cattle in that got out while he was gone to work, helping a 3rd neighbor with a well problem, and replacing sway bar links on daughters Focus I did not have time to verify the ratio on the tiller, but will try to get it done tomorrow.

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:05 pm

Daddy: Congrats on the Howard L28 tiller.

Those are my pics on Photo Host you were looking at. http://photos.cubfest.com/thumbnails.php?album=1165
When I posted those pics I was new to the subject of the Howard Rotovator. With the Help of John, Todd, Hank, and many others, I learned that I had mislabeled those pics as a "L28". It is my fault for not cleaning up my photos and it looks like I have lead you down the wrong path. Square gear box = S28 for the IH model A, B, and 100. Round box = L28 for the Cub only. Please ignore the label on the pics.

Look for a strip of brass with a serial number under the gearbox mount against the main body of the tiller. I have called the company that bought out Howard and I even wrote "down under" to the Aussie's. Didn't get much help. I did find replacement blades that fit that are really for another tiller and all bearings, chain and common items at my local supply store.

Not sure about the ratio, but don't worry, your L28 is made for the 1800 ( or so) rpm C-C/W PTO on the Cub. Hook it up and your ready! No Hub City model 22 needed for you. But a Howard CD-6 despeeder would make a nice addition so that it cuts down the speed of your Cub.

I presently have my S-28 torn apart and really need to get it back together. I might have a source for L-28 decals if I can call my contact person. I did make a promise to make them available to members when I get a bunch, but I just need to get off my :censored: and do it. :oops:

http://howard-rotavator-spares.com/
http://www.howard-australia.com/rotavators
http://catalog.solexcorp.com/OC_Store/

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59784
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee

Postby ToddW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:48 am

I remade the graphics for the decals from scans I obtained from the manual and photos on the rotavator.
Printed my own stickers and have them installed on mine. Do not have access anymore to print more large stickers like that

I can find the pdf of the art at 100% size and email it to you if you like

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:22 pm

Daddysbabybearcub wrote:Does anyone know what the ratio is for the gearbox also? Thanks
I do not know for the gearbox only, but the gearbox and chain drive together have an 8 to 1 ratio. As best I remember, the bottom sprocket is larger than the top one, so there is also some reduction there.

Daddysbabybearcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
(2) 48' Cub
49' Cub
52' Cub
62' Cub
Super A

Postby Daddysbabybearcub » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:46 pm

Thanks John and Todd. Red cub said he was working on stickers so hopefully I don't need to go the PDF route thank you though. I have no idea where to start to find a sticker maker. I worked on the tiller a bit tonight. One more bearing and then the fab work paint then assemble. Been looking for Howard orange but it seem only avalible overseas. Haven't looked that much truly, I'll think about that more when the time comes. Thanks to all for your help. I hope to have it done soon as my son informed me he'd like a scale steam engine for Christmas. I'll post all the pics when I'm done. Thanks guys.

Redcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97000
Tractors Owned: 47'Cub S/N 9516. Howard CD6 Despeeder, Howard L&S-28 Rotovators, broken front end loader, Hub City PTO clockwise converter/rpm reducer, Cub tach, Old style pointer hands analog Hobbs meter, Donaldson pre-cleaner, C-22 Sickle bar. Sears flat belt drive Buzz Saw, Model 54 blade, IH plow, Delco horn.

Postby Redcub » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:35 am

Daddy: I did a paint comparison with AC Orange. Very close in my book. Unless yours is going to sit next to an original in a museum or maybe if these guys stop by your barn for a inspection:

ACE Hardware had the closest match for my the money. Looked at Kabota Orange also. The Kabota dealer wanted an arm and a leg. Check with True Value Hardware also.

Paint threads:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66731
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68256

Re: Rotavator rebuild
Post by Redcub » Wed May 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Stopped by two local hardware supply places and the Farm store today to do a price check on paint.
AC Orange $28.99 per gallon or $8.99 a quart. Just can't justify the $142.00 from the local Auto Paint House here in town that matched the original.

Keep going, sounds like your having fun. :{_}:
Next time you are out here in the Pacific NW see us at
The Great Oregon Steam Up in Brooks Ore, along Interstate-5 just North of Salem
http://www.antiquepowerland.com Held the last weekend of July, and 1st weekend of August
"Steam and Gasoline"

Return to “Farmall Cub”