This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hitachi alternator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Hitachi alternator

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:04 pm

My only thought on the wiring diagram besides the lamp/resistor mentioned by ArtC was the 30 amp fuse on the amp meter to bat terminal on the alternator and the 10 amp fuse on the headlight switch to B terminal on the alternator.

Alternator out put above 30 amps will take out both fuses.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:01 pm

The 30 amp fuse protects in both directions, if the alternator fails, the fuse will blow and protect the battery and wiring. If the alternator is charging the battery more than 30 amps something is wrong and it'll prevent burning up the wiring harness. The 10 A fuse is standard on a SA and if for the lighting circuit only, the alternator does not charge thru this path. Standard SA lighting will not blow the 10A fuse unless there is a fault.
I added the 10 ohm resister in series with the diode for two reasons. At start, it reduces the current going into the L terminal from about 2 amps to .75 amp, reducing the current required by the battery at starting is important if the battery does not have a good charge after sitting a long time. And it protects the diode from faults like accidentally shorting the L terminal when installing or testing. Not absolutely necessary but a good practice. This way the diode will survive an accidental momentary short to ground.
Gerry

M Diesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65013
Tractors Owned: 49 Cub, 51 M, 51 MD, 53 TD9, 49 TD18

Postby M Diesel » Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:39 pm

RustyKnuckles wrote:Hmmmm...... Not sure I understand why the starter keeps turning the right way, but...

Anyway -
What happens if you run the 6v starter on 12v? Obviously shorter lifespan? Smoke and fire?

Hi all, new guy here. (have a 49 Cub)

If I may... the starter has no actual magnets, only two sets of electric coils that work together. Outer field coils on the casing, and inner coils on the armature. The same voltage is applied to both sets, so both magnetic fields always match up correctly. So no matter what polarity is hooked up, always turns the same. If you reverse only one coil set, that's different.

Guy on ebay sells the 12v field coils as a kit if you really like to replace stuff, but the starters seem to generally hold up okay.

Gary M

Return to “Farmall Cub”