This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Till-in Cover Crop: What do you use?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Till-in Cover Crop: What do you use?

Postby farmergiffIV » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:53 pm

I am wondering what people use with their Cub to till in their cover crop/green manure and then to prepare seed beds.

I have a 1948 cub and I am trying to figure what which implement I should use/acquire to get the job done. Soil is mostly a sandy loam, primarily decomposed granite. ( I got a couple small shanks that I attached to my cultivator, so far they didn't really get the job done, just made a mess, but it was my first time trying to till in some narly 3 foot hairy vetch) Been watching lots of youtube videos...
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Till-in Cover Crop: What do you use?

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:37 am

Mow first, then till.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:12 am

Use a 193 plow or a disc plow after mowing.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bigschuss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01256
Tractors Owned: 1984 JD 990
1953 JD 40S
1973 JD 300 Snowmobile

Postby Bigschuss » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:15 am

I flail mow the residue from whatever was growing, then disk the bed several times over the course of a week. Then I use the roller wheel on the flail mower as a kind of poor man's cultipacker to prepare the seed bed. I used winter rye this year...worked great. Then in the spring I turn everything under with my Ford tiller.
I wish coke was still cola, and a joint was a bad place to be...
- Merle Haggard

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:17 pm

Depends on the cover crop. A disk harrow will chop up tender growth, buckwheat, young oats or rye. Stringy stuff, like red clover,needs to be mowed, preferably with a flail mower, to chop it. Mature oats and rye, are best, plowed under. Just started using a disk plow. Turns under lots more residue than a moldboard plow.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:11 pm

We've done this many different ways. Now that we don't have a grain drill anymore. We plow, then disk to level. We broadcast spread winter wheat or rye. We open the disk wide(as straight as possible), then disk the field to cover the seed. In the spring we plow it under. For spring planting.

Sometimes depending on the soil test results we top dress with a broadcast spreader with the seed. And fertilizer and or lime.

Have fun, Ken.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Lot of information provided. Basically if you are planning on turning over the soil you need some sort of plow. Followed by a disk harrow, then a harrow.

My largest garden plot. I leave the cover crop in until spring. Might mow depending on height of the cover crop. If considerable trash on the ground, I plow, then disk, then harrow. Rotor till just prior to planting seeds.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Kirk-NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07838

Postby Kirk-NJ » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:12 am

This year after havesting my potatoes I plowed,disc, broadcasted some oats then went over with the york rake.

Kirk

Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38603
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 am

Hi there,

Here are some things we have done. With a summer cover (Sorghum sudan, cow peas mixes), where the soil was well disked before seeding we mow it, let it dry some (if there is time) and then disk it a bunch. We don't like plowing it under because it works better as a green manure if its not to deep. We have a double gang disk

Our first try 2 years ago
http://tubbycreekfarm.com/blog/sundays-are-tactor-work

O'm on the run, I'll comment more during lunch

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:12 am

Hairy vetch will winter over some even if tilled. I would start with roundup. Have used several ground covers. Wheat, rye or anything handy. My favorite is oats because winter kills it. With rye some spring growth is possible depending on how early you want to plant things like peas, potatoes, cabbage, radishes, etc. Since I use mulch over the entire garden I no longer use a cover crop. Vern

Tubby Creek Farm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38603
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub

Postby Tubby Creek Farm » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Back to cover cropping and using a cub. Because of the cubs size it can create some difficulties.

We have been using our cub on our CSA and market farm for 2 years now and we are growing on about 5 acres now. So I don't have a lot of experience but can give you insight into what has worked for us and what has not

Are you organic/naturally grown? It also depends on what you are doing next in that spot. Do you need the nitrogen in the very next crop? Are you working it in to get ready to plant another cover crop? And what is the cover crop?

From there I can give you better examples how/what we have done.

farmergiffIV
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 97526
Tractors Owned: 1948 FCub
1953 FCub

Postby farmergiffIV » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:30 pm

Tubby Creek Farm wrote:Back to cover cropping and using a cub.....

Are you organic/naturally grown? It also depends on what you are doing next in that spot. Do you need the nitrogen in the very next crop? Are you working it in to get ready to plant another cover crop? And what is the cover crop?

From there I can give you better examples how/what we have done.

We are organic, more natural but not certified. Got peas/oats in the ground right now, they are about 8"-1 foot tall, got to put some cabbages, lettuce, carrots, beets and peas in soon. I got a rototiller on a kubota that my neighbor rents me, i'm trying to do the rest of the prep work with something else, I think either a disc, or s-tine, we have sandy loam so I think the s-tine would cut through the ground and incorporate the organic matter, but a disk might be more on the safe side since i'm looking at only getting 1 implement right now for the cub. As far as mowing is concerned we are building fencing tomorrow to graze the alpaca over the field, we'll them eat it down for a week.
Sun Spirit Farm Manager

My '53 and '48 Cub Project

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:02 am

I use soy beans because I can just pull them out of the bin. I broadcast them, set my tiller for 2 inches, and go over the whole garden with the tiller. I like to turn them under green, but mother nature doesn't always let me. I don't like to spring plow, but sometimes I have to.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 am

Hi ya there in Oregon.

Also organic here. We used to sow buckwheat as a quick nitrogen fixing crop, let it come up, then cut it down with a sicklebar, then plow and harrow, smooth it out. That's more than one implement, and it is lots of work Cut and rototill is another, much more pleasant, option although the rototilling (we use a walk-behind sort) would not be with the Cub--depending on your crop, this could be done quickly and several times a year. Today, I don't think I'd plow because of the differences in upper and lower soils, but would cut and then try various cultivators on the Cub to work the cut stuff into the soil. Then follow that up with a smoothing operation of some sort--even dragging a log works--as needed. So, that's two implements: a cutting device and a set of cultivators.

Depending on your plans, I'd think I'd not want to run any kind of larger garden without a set of cultivators as basic to the Cub. So some sort of cutting device on the Cub would be my choice "from afar." I have no experience with a flail mower, but that's something I'd look into, seeing what advantages it might, or might not have, over a basic sicklebar.

But what am I talking about? I've got a foot of snow here! Oh! Wait! Look at all those shiny new seed packets on the table, surrounded by an aura of hope and expectation....

Good luck! Happy Figuring Out and Finding.

Wood
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35475

Postby Wood » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 am

Plant wheat and sheep will graze it in March, and turn it under in late april.

Return to “Farmall Cub”