This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

[How to?] Farmall Super A 6 to 12 volt conversion.

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

[How to?] Farmall Super A 6 to 12 volt conversion.

Postby havoc1482 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:39 pm

So I'm going to be using my Super A extensively in the winter, (New England) and I've been told that the 6volt system is a pain in the ass to start in the cold. In fact we had a chilly day yesterday and it wouldn't start.

One of my farm jobs we have:
2 H's
2 C's
1 Super C
1 BN
1 140
1 Red Cub
1 Yellow Cub

All of them except for the Red Cub, the Super C, and one H are 12 volts. My boss swears by the 12 volt upgrade and when he found out I got a Super A for myself the first thing he suggested was making it 12volt

The 6 Volt ones always seem to give up and are more of a hassle to start than the 12 volts.

So before you guys tell me something like "keep the 6volt because its original" or some other idea, I want to know what I need to do to make it a 12Volt system. I've been told I can keep the starter, but I need an alternator and new 12volt lights. What else is there?
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: [How to?] Farmall Super A 6 to 12 volt conversion.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:53 pm

If everything is in good shape, and it is tuned properly, it will start down to pretty cold temperatures. if your preference is for the 12 volt conversion, here is the diagram. You may need to make a mounting bracket and belt tensioner for the alternator, but that is not too hard. the diagram is for H and M, but is the same electrically also for cub, A, Super A, B, C, and Super C.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:05 pm

havoc1482 wrote:I've been told that the 6volt system is a pain in the ass to start in the cold.

BS.

Make sure you have good cables, clean/bright/tight electrical connections, starter is in good shape, and your battery is good. If any of these items are in bad enough shape, 12 volts won't start well either! 12 volt is just more forgiving of poor maintenance.

Cables need to be 1/0 or 2/0 cable with decent terminals. Good autoparts/farm equipment/heavy equipment dealer can fab up what you need. On the Super A-140 it's easy to try to "cheat" with the ground cable because it's so short. It needs to be a good heavy cable too. The flat, braided metal ground cables work good here but I like to go ahead and get a cable made if I'm doing the other one too.

If the starter has not been touched in 30 years, it probably needs to be serviced. A healthy starter makes a BIG difference.

Yes I like original, but most 12 volt conversions IMO are done because someone doesn't want to take the time to find the real problem. My Super A's and Cub are all 6 volt and start just as good as a 12 volt system. If I was you, what would convince me to convert would be if I could do so cheaper than fixing the 6 volt stuff properly.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Use a single wire alternator. About the same price as the Delco 10SI. With the single wire you will eliminate the wires running to terminals 1 and 2 and the warning light or diode the diagram.

I still have one tractor, WD Allis Chalmers, with the Delco 10 SI. There was an unused hole in the dash. I installed a toggle switch instead of the warning lamp. Once tractor starts, I flip the toggle switch on then promptly off. This starts the alternator.

Be sure and save the old 6 volt generator. You may need to mount the 6 volt generator pulley on the alternator. This might save purchasing another belt.

I converted my 6 volt Cub to 12 volts because the Cub was the only machine I own with 6 volts. You will notice that the 12 volts cranks the engine over faster, which might help start ups in cold weather.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:45 pm

I will answer your question :D
Get a 1 wire alt from NAPA , hook the lead from the battery terminal and the L terminal from the Regulator together run it to the alt. buy a 12 volt coil with internal resister from NAPA. the coil will be hooked up wire from switch to + side of coil, - side of coil to distributor. 12 volt battery series 26 R I believe

here are the part #s from an old post of mine
The part # for the new self exciting at low RPMs is 213 401 1SW They work flawlessly I have been using them for a few months now. they charge at an Idle and drop back as they should. I pay $41 plus core charge. They fit fine under the cub hood, after all that is what IH used from mid 75 until the end of production.
The # for the coil with internal resister is IC14SB $22 with new bracket, the original does not fit well

Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:47 pm

If you have any questions on the change over you can call me at 434-547-5369
Boss
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Gerry Powell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 78736
Tractors Owned: two 1948 Cubs
1951 Super A
Kubota L2350

Postby Gerry Powell » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:48 am

You might want to consider using a Hitachi alternator either 14231 or 14255. I recently converted my SA and compared the Delco and Hitachi and decided on the Hitachi for a few reasons. The Hitachi is physically smaller and has lower amp rating than the Delco; the high amp output of the Delco doesn't hurt anything but it's not needed. The Hitachi comes with a split pulley that can easily be fitted for a 1/2" belt, the Delco comes with a 3/8" belt pulley. It'll work if you want to compromise. The correct pulley can be bought for about $24. The Hitachi 14255 from O'Riellys comes with the pigtail connector to make connections and the core charge is only $8. Either one will require some mechanical fab to make it fit right on the bracket, but I liked the Hitachi since it has two mounting ears similar to the old Delco generator. The schematic provided should include a 30-40 Amp fuse at the alternator in the charging wire for safety. I can provide a schematic for the Hitachi conversion.
Gerry

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 am

Thank you all for the replies. It was a really nippy day here in Massachusetts. I couldn't get the tractor to turn over more than a couple times before it just gave out, and its a brand new battery...

I believe from the information provided I have a basic understanding of what I need to do. I know some local fellas that can give me a hand with the details. Again, thank you for the replies!
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:08 am

Thank you all for the replies. It was a really nippy day here in Massachusetts. I couldn't get the tractor to turn over more than a couple times before it just gave out, and its a brand new battery...

I believe from the information provided I have a basic understanding of what I need to do. I know some local fellas that can give me a hand with the details. Again, thank you for the replies!
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:33 am

With a new battery and only turning a "couple" of times, sounds like wiring/continuity or starter problems. Would check that first before spending money on change as you will have to correct those problems anyway. Was new battery fully charged?
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:03 am

What do the battery cables look like?

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby havoc1482 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

danovercash wrote:With a new battery and only turning a "couple" of times, sounds like wiring/continuity or starter problems. Would check that first before spending money on change as you will have to correct those problems anyway. Was new battery fully charged?

Cables are fine. It seems to be able to turn forever when its warmer, but when its cold it just quits. I'm trying to come up with an idea for a homemade block heater too
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

Western Mass. (The 413)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:07 pm

get a voltmeter and do some testing. Take voltage reading at battery while cranking, and also at starter when cranking.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”