This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Getting the steering shaft and worm gear in !

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44820

Getting the steering shaft and worm gear in !

Postby baldwindiesel » Tue Oct 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I don't want to take over another person's question concerning the Steering shaft but here is the problem I am having: I was loosing oil from the steering housing ( oil leaked along the front axle ) so I dropped the entire front end and pulled the steering shaft out, only to find it had oil in it; all was well; I had just overfilled it. So, I put it all back together but no matter what I do I cannot get the worm gear to drop far enough for me to bolt the cast iron cap on. There is about a 1/4" gap. Even if I leave the spacer out it won't go down far enough !!! I can feel it drop in the hole, the wheels turn; still no luck ! What am I doing wrong ????

Baldwindiesel

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Getting the steering shaft and worm gear in !

Postby challenger » Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:13 am

When you refer to the spacer do you mean the thrust washer that is at the bottom end of the steering wheel shaft between the the worm gear and the housing? There is a thrust washer down there that could have moved out of place when you removed the gear.

gusbratz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 16345

Postby gusbratz » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:21 am

You need to drain the oil to see what is going on down there. once you drain the oil you will see the thrust washer covering the hole where the machined end of the worm goes into the pilot bearing. use some grease to stick the thrust washer to the bottom of the casting keeping it centered around the hole. Then gently screw the worm into the worm gear.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:40 pm

Here's a picture from TM that shows the thick thrust washers on either side of the gear:

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby baldwindiesel » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:14 pm

I TRIED PUTTING IT IN AGAIN, WITH NO THRUST WASHER ON THE END AND I STILL HAVE A 1/4 gap ! I AM SURE I HAVE THE SHAFT IN CORRECTLY, LOTS OF FRUSTRATION ! :(
Thanks for the replies !
Baldwindiesel

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:34 pm

Check for debris or an extra spacer in the bottom of the housing, hiding under the oil. Also, you are turning it , as in screwing it in aren't you?
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

challenger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21742
Tractors Owned: 1955 F Cub (2)
1952 F Cub
1948 F Cub
2155 JD
216 JD

Postby challenger » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:21 am

You indicated that the shaft seems to enter the hole in the casting. If so, there has to be something down in the hole keeping the shaft from entering all the way. Put a small retrieval magnet down in the hole and see if this may be the case. Also make sure the front wheels are straight ahead so you are not at screwing the worm down against the end of the wheel gear.

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:51 pm

IIRC mine stopped short too, but if I blocked the front wheels from turning and gave it an extra little tug, it fell right in.

It just needed a little extra "English" to get it past the point where the worm binds with the sector gear.

baldwindiesel
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby baldwindiesel » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:56 pm

Matt:
I will try that. I cleaned the case out good, no obstructions ! If I turn the wheels by hand the shaft will drop down where it should go; the problem is still the tapered cap that won't drop all the way down but hits an obstruction.

Baldwindiesel

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Kevin, If you look at the picture of the gear I posted, you'll see a shoulder just to the right of the yellow paint. That allows the seal to be slid along the shaft without it being damaged. See if the seal is over the shoulder. If not, oil the seal and shaft and see if you can pull it down with the bolts or gentle even tapping with a rubber mallet.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”