154 Engine rebuild

IH CUB LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your LoBoy related issues.

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.

154 Engine rebuild

Postby dhermesc » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:21 am

Looking at a "decent" 154. It's currently running (guy sent video) and has decent oil pressure but has some pretty bad blowby (he admits it is WORSE then the video shows). I'm not overly familar with flat head engines or a Cub engine in particular. What kind of costs am I looking at to re ring and possible have the head over hauled? I plan on pulling the engine apart myself with a little help assembling from a person more "in the know". A basic rebuilders kit out there?
Freedom is for those that claim it.
dhermesc
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby cjpenny89 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:40 am

well it could be smoking becasue the valves need to be adjusted along with the carb running the engine to rich. there are several things it could be instead of a total rebuild. But yes you can buy a complete engine rebuild kit for it.
Chad
cjpenny89
501 Club
501 Club

Postby dhermesc » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:56 am

Main thing I'm looking at is worst case (except a cracked block or head) what I'm looking at for is a cost I can factor in when we talk price on this unit. I don't want to assume the rebuild kit costs $400 and find its actually $800. With any luck I might find its only a head gasket.
dhermesc
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Postby Dale51 » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:14 pm

dhermesc wrote:Main thing I'm looking at is worst case (except a cracked block or head) what I'm looking at for is a cost I can factor in when we talk price on this unit. I don't want to assume the rebuild kit costs $400 and find its actually $800. With any luck I might find its only a head gasket.

Lets see worst case.
Have to bore block, new Pistions , redo valves & seats ,posiable valve guides + extras over $800.00 all this depends where you buy & or corse where work is done(boring)
Where I live it is $65.00 a hole X 4 = $260.00 for a good job of just boring over size does not include any parts.
If it's been broken I did it.
If its not broken wait till I touch it.
Dale51
501 Club
501 Club

Postby Eugene » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:38 pm

You need to disassemble the engine and measure each part. Once you have that information you can then start to price the total repair costs.

I'm currently working on a NOS block which contained new pistons and rings. So far I have an additional $200 in the rebuild. New valves, mains, full gasket set. Rod bearings, pending delivery. Pilot bearing and throwout bearing to order.

My guess is that this engine will cost pretty close to $800.00 in parts, including the NOS block. No labor cost.

If you don't have one get a catalog from Valu-Bilt. http://www.valu-bilt.com Excellent reference and you will have a general pricing guide when purchasing parts.

Eugene
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:40 pm

Another idea... there are a few guys putting loaders on their Cubs. Just wait long enough for them to break the ears on their engines and have to replace them. Then you should be able to buy an otherwise good block cheap and put it in the 154. Since the 154 has a frame the engine front ears don't have to be structural, so a weld job should be fine. Patience is a virtue!
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce
George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety Award
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:43 pm

dhermesc, one thing no one has mentioned, and I asume you don't know is that cub engines are not sleeved, they have to be bored if they are badly worn. doing the tear down and reassembly yourself you can expect machine shop work and parts to be $500 to $00 or a little more dependingon rates in your area.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby dhermesc » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:08 pm

Thanks for the replies, We'll see how it sells .
dhermesc
Cub Star!!
Cub Star!!

Return to LoBoy Series - 154, 184, 185