This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Options for a Tired Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Options for a Tired Cub

Postby JBall8019 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:52 pm

Hello All,
It's been a while since posted anything. I like the new look of the site. My cub " Fred" is getting tired and I have debating whether or not I should find another tractor. I need to know how much an engine overhaul costs and how much time it takes. I live in the Warren/Youngstown area of Ohio. Can you guys help me with some rough prices or other options I didn't think about?
Thanks!
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Options for a Tired Cub

Postby Eugene » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:29 pm

There isn't an answer. You need to disassemble the engine, measure everything, then determine the machine work and parts required.

So, as a wild guess, $300- for a ring job, replace bearings, and touch up valves - if you have the required tools. Up to $1200- and more.

Other option is to purchase a running engine. However, probably better to spend the money to rebuild your current engine. Then you know what you have.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:40 pm

John, Occasionally Art Chester (ArtC) has rebuilt engines for sale. You might PM him and see if he has one now. You can always buy another Cub, but then you still have the unknowns of how it's been used and maintained. Some of the Ohio guys may be able to offer suggestions on who to contact.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:18 am

I believe Art has an engine available. Tim (TST) may have used ones, too (NY state). If you can wait for cub express, it would be the way to go. Swapping an engine, is a 1 day job. Machine shop, could take weeks, and cost up over $1200. If you have the cash, and want a "perfect" engine, go with a rebuild. If you want a working tractor, go with used. (You just missed cub express, from Cubfest Noortheast, for either of the providers mentioned)
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:31 am

Just throwing out a thought.

Depending on location, Cubs in very good condition with an attachment, frequently sell for $2500- (ball park figure).

Might sell your current Cub and purchase another one. Kinda like upgrading the wife's older vehicle (but much newer than your pickup) for a fancier car.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:11 am

Hi John! Great to see you here again. You were my first "minifest victim" when I first joined the forum. What are the symptoms of your "tired cub"? Is it smoking or just lacking power? When was the last tune up on it? I'd love to get together again sometime and share a beer and possibly lay hands on "Fred" sometime...

Keep posting!

Mike (now in PA)
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:20 am

John, as has been suggested, first do a tune up and diagnostics. Getting an engine rebuilt seems to very drastically by area. In my area we have an old time machine shop and if you are willing to wait, you can take them an assembled engine and get it back from them reassembled, in 2 or 3 months for around $650. that includes bored, new pistons and rods, a valve job, crank turned with new bearings, etc. I have also heard different prices as high as $1500 for the same job.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

MoRedMan
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64119
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub

Postby MoRedMan » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:24 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:John, as has been suggested, first do a tune up and diagnostics. Getting an engine rebuilt seems to very drastically by area. In my area we have an old time machine shop and if you are willing to wait, you can take them an assembled engine and get it back from them reassembled, in 2 or 3 months for around $650. that includes bored, new pistons and rods, a valve job, crank turned with new bearings, etc. I have also heard different prices as high as $1500 for the same job.

THAT is a deal! I will remember that bit of information- thanks for posting!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:54 pm

Thanks Guys!
Fred just isn't as snappy as he used to be. I really haven't done anything much for him in the last 5 years. I bought the tractor 9 years ago and I only cleaned the plugs and replaced two wires besides lubrication. I managed to lessen the blue smoke issue I had with Fred. I operated a overhauled cub last year and it seemed to have twice the power that Fred has. I'll spend a weekend going over the engine to assess its health.

John: I think $650 for all of that work is worthwhile! Too bad I don't live in your area....

Mike: Good to hear from you! I sold my M to a good home since I last saw you.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:26 am

EJP, is that rebuild guy still alive?? I would guess the parts cost close to that, it sure adds up quick, especially these days.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:56 am

Hengy wrote:Hi John! Great to see you here again. You were my first "minifest victim" when I first joined the forum. What are the symptoms of your "tired cub"? Is it smoking or just lacking power? When was the last tune up on it? I'd love to get together again sometime and share a beer and possibly lay hands on "Fred" sometime...

Keep posting!

Mike (now in PA)
Agree with Hengy ...It may just need a good tune up....Vacumm and compression test it...If it ain't knocking or smoking badly it may just need a little or a lot :lol: of tweaking....
In Memory of 58,286

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:28 am

John, one other place to look is at the governor control system. Any slop in that system will also result in a lack of power because the engine won't "spool up" like it used to when the governor calls for it. Must say that Lewis (my 1955) is really tight on the governor control, and really is snappy. Merlin needs a little tightening in that area and I notice a little less response on that side from him... That is on the docket in the coming weeks so I am ready for plowing in the winter!

Let me know if you would like some help...I love to play!!

Mike
Image Image

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:25 am

Henry, it is very difficult to give a ball park figure till the engine is disassemblend to see what is required to rebuild it. I have done some cub engines for as little as 800 bucks including labor.. I have also rebuilt a few that were so messed up internally it was cheaper to buy a rebuilt short block. But usuallly the cost in worse case is around 1500 including labor and machine shop work.. Being you are in my area if you are rebuilding it yourself it will pay you to shop around for machne shop work. I have found that some machine shops in the area are way over priced. If your rebuilding it yourself contact me I can stear you in the right direction.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:50 am

jball, check out the classifieds on this site. I just saw an engine there for ($900.00), a reasonable price. No mention of a core exchange. This might be a solution if you need an overhaul. Good Luck, Papa.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:28 pm

Papa's Cub wrote:jball, check out the classifieds on this site. I just saw an engine there for ($900.00), a reasonable price. No mention of a core exchange. This might be a solution if you need an overhaul. Good Luck, Papa.

I agree that sometimes a new engine is the way to go. The only caveat in that situation is that you have no way of knowing what the TRUE condition of the new engine is going to be. You may get that new engine in and realize that it is a smoker, or one with low oil pressure or low on power, etc. Then you will be out the cost of the engine AND the cost of a rebuild.

Just my $0.02 worth (which is probably worth about that, anyhow!)

Mike
Image Image

Return to “Farmall Cub”