This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Generator charging question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
motoscott909
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49403
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub "Gertrude"

Generator charging question

Postby motoscott909 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:09 am

Hey Everyone,

After crank starting all summer, I finally got myself a battery :D . My cub is a 1950, positive ground, 6v system. I installed the battery and gave the starter a try. Success! The starter motor works fine and the cub fired right up. I then decided to see if the lights worked, so I flipped the switch to "D" and "B" and nothing :( . I then started wiggling the wires that go into the switch and suddenly the lights came on. Im going to have to pull the hood to check for a loose or coroded connection, but at least i have lights.

So finally, I decided to check if the cub was charging. Here is what I found: With the lights on, the ammeter reads about half way on the negative side. With the lights off and the battery disconnected the ammeter reads about negative 2. With the cub running and the switch on "H" the ammeter reads exactly zero. When i put my multimeter on the battery with the cub off it reads exactly 6.2 volts. If I put my multimeter on the battery with cub cub running and the switch in the "H" position, it reads 6.4 volts.

It seems that the generator is charging, but at a very low rate (.2 volts). I dont think that voltage would ever be enough to re-plenish the battery? Any suggestions what I should do next? I have not polarized the generator as of yet, but im not sure if that would help anyway since the current seems to be flowing correctly.

Thanks!
Scott

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Generator charging question

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:28 am

Regarding the lights, try cleaning the fuse contacts on the back of the light switch, they are bad to corrode and not amke a good contact.

as to charging, run a lead from the ground terminal of the battery to the F term of the gen. that eleiminates an problems with not getting a good ground on the lead.

you may want to try this chart.

Chart compliments of Farmall Bob
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:08 am

motoscott909 wrote:With the lights off and the battery disconnected the ammeter reads about negative 2.

That means that your ammeter isn't centered. True zero is when it says -2. (Learn it and live with it.)

I think your trouble is all in your light switch. The fact that it charges at all indicates your cutout is working and your generator is probably working. The generator field must be grounded for it to charge. Since it is grounded through the same switch that only lights the lights after the wires are wiggled . . .

The amount that a generator produces is regulated by changing resistance between the field terminal and groud. Zero resistance is maximum output. If your switch has a poor internal connection for the field wire, or is itself poorly grounded, output decreases. I bet if you took your switch apart (often a one-way street), you would find the concacts badly corroded.

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Postby torchred89 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:14 am

You can get to the light switch without taking the hood off. It isn't fun but if I can do it anybody can.

captjsjr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14174
Tractors Owned: '53 Cub
(2) '69 Cub cadet m-72
'47 TO-30

Postby captjsjr » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:10 am

FYI.........after painting and reassembling our tractor .......no lights.......no ground between lights and hood
owning a cub makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty

Return to “Farmall Cub”