This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Newbie intro and hello

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62828
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub
1960 Cub Lo Boy slope modified
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Newbie intro and hello

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:03 pm

I am new here, thought I would say "Hi".
I have lately been looking over my dad's Cub Lo Boy. From the serial number, I think it's a 1960 (same vintage as me). He bought it about 6 or 8 years ago to mow with (it has a belly mower), but he only played with it a little and parked it in the barn. He got it out and ran it around at least a little bit every year up until about 2 years ago, it has set idle since then.
I can't stand to see it parked in the barn not earning it's keep, so have decided to get it back into shape. The guy he bought it from had it re painted, and claimed that it was overhauled as well. We have only his word of course, no records of any work done.
We pulled it out of the barn a few days ago and installed a borrowed battery and fresh gas... it cranks but no start. A little starting spray in the intake and it will start right up and run until the spray runs out, then of course it dies. Ok, so I need to clean out the carb. I have done carb jobs on motorcycles, so I figure I can do this. I pulled the carb and brought it home to work on this week.
I have been reading through all the threads on the 12v conversion, I have decided that once I get it running on it's own I'll do the conversion. Lots of good info on that in the various threads.
I do have the owner's manual and a service manual, both valuable resources. I notice however, that they neglect to mention some simple but important points. For instance, to gain access to the battery it says to remove the seat. This is the deluxe seat, which does a great job of restricting access to the battery box. So I had all my tools out and was prepared to unbolt the seat from the tractor, when I happened to bump the cushion... and it popped out of the seat frame. Would have been nice if the manual mentioned this.
Also, I don't see anywhere where it tells how to raise the hood. Is there a latch hidden somewhere? I haven't found the secret yet, it will not budge. Of course I have not spent much time with the tractor yet, just a little fiddling around one afternoon. And it's possible that the manuals do mention these items and I just haven't come across it yet.
Anyway, that's where I am with the Cub.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Newbie intro and hello

Postby Bill Hudson » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:17 pm

Welcome, Arthur. As for the hood, get out the wrenches. No latches, brute strength and awkwardness (and maybe a friend) are required. And as we say around here, "Oooooops, the hood is off." Sounds like you are set to have some fun.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:42 pm

Arthur, Welcome to the Forum. When you open the carb, pull the halves straight apart or you risk breaking the idle tube which is about 1/8" in diameter. As Bill said, bolts have to come out to remove the hood, along with disconnecting the gas line and opening up the wiring clips along the side of the hood.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:41 pm

Oh! Thanks for the information. That explains a few things.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:44 pm

Before you start it you may want to prime the oil. They can lose their prime after sitting a spell. Check your oil gaage as it runs and shut it down if you have no pressure after a couple of seconds.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:00 am

Welcome to the forum.

When you get ready to take the hood off have 2 saw horses or 5 gal buckets to set the hood on.

If you have a lot of gas in the tank hood will be heavy, still best to have a helper.

while hood is off oil fan hub and generator and do a compression check dry and wet if you are not sure on the overhaul.

Also while the hood is off and plugs are out you might look and see if all the valves are opening and closing.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:14 am

Welcome to the forum Arthur. It wont be long before your cub will be running like a sewing machine. Be sure you check the oil levels and lubricate all of the grease fittings. Oh, when you get a chance introduce your cub to the forum by posting a few pictures. Good luck, Papa.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:32 am

Welcome to the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Farmall Cub." Read the manuals, and most importantly: Don't Panic!

I notice that you are a fan of the late, great Douglas Adams, as well as Cubs.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:37 pm

Thanks for all the great tips and information.
I hope to press the Cub back into useful service next year. It's primary job will be mowing, but I would like eventually to use it for gardening as well, if I can find suitable implements. I realize the "finding suitable implements" part might be a bit of a challenge. All I have at the moment are the belly mower and the draw bar, so I have some looking to do.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Arthur,

You might want to take in Silvey's Winter CubFest in McCordsville, IN on Dec. 7. Less than 250 miles from Dahlgren to a great gathering of very knowledgeable Cub folks. A CubFest concentrates on getting your hands dirty working on Cubs. No need to worry about freezing your pinkies, Jeff's shop is heated -- with gas and lots of "hot air" from the assembled folks. You will get to meet many folks that can help you out. Consider it.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

PVF1799
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12009
eBay ID: kepara
Tractors Owned: 1929 Farmall Regular #T111250 (Original Owner)
1942 Farmall M #55654
1948 Farmall Cub #21005
1955 Farmall Cub #190769
1961 Cub Cadet #16509
1975 Cub Cadet 1250H
197x IH 990 Haybine
1994 JD 5320 Diesel
Attachments: Woods 42F Fast Hitch, L38 Disc Fast Hitch, F11 Plow Fast Hitch, Land Plow, Snow Plow, Grader Blade, Planter w/Fertilizer, Cultivators, Hilling Disks, Sickle Bar Mower(2), IH 7' Sickle Bar Mower, Flail Mower and 5' International Belly Mower.

Postby PVF1799 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:16 pm

Arthur - welcome to the best forum on the internet. You'll find everything here you'll ever need to know about your Cub. I joined last March when I began the restoration of Rex '48. Without the asistance of all the great folks here I think I'd still be taking things apart. You can see my progress my clicking on the link in my signature line.

Welcome and enjoy.....

Ken

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:53 am

Update:
I took the carb apart last night, and thanks for the warnings about the idle tube. The bowl was dry, the float valve was stuck shut. It yielded with a little gentle persuasion, the tip and seat both look good.
I sprayed some choke and carb cleaner through the obvious places, and everything seems clear, including the 2 tiny ports in the throat.
When the halves of the carb separated, the gasket remained stuck to the upper half. As I don't have a replacement I am reluctant to try and remove it. Is there anything important hidden behind the gasket? There doesn't seem to be, but I thought I would ask. I don't want to make the trip to the farm and everything then have to take it all back apart again.
Thanks also for the warning about priming the oil pump. I looked that up and am prepared to do that as well.
Hopefully this weekend will see the Cub running around the farm under it's own power.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:09 am

In a pinch you should be okay with the old gasket as long as it isn't broke. While you are at it, and if you haven't already done so, remove the metering jet and run a thin wire through the orifices and flush with som carb cleaner to get any gunk out of it.

Good luck with it this week end!
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Arthur Dent
10+ Years
10+ Years
1942 Farmall H
1945 Farmall H
2002 NH TC25D

Postby Arthur Dent » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Will do, thanks!

randallc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 72940
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub, 152 disk plow, 2 gang disk, belly mower, sickle mower
1949 Farmall Cub, cultivator, moldboard plow, disk,front blade. Cub Cadet, LTX1045 Mower. Cub Cadet's 109, 125, 1000, and 1250
1961 cub c2 belly mower and full blade. 48 cub manual lift with cultivators.
1947 Cub

Postby randallc » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:35 am

Welcome to the forum from Arkansas. Sounds like you got the carb cleaned, which is usually all it takes, maybe a little float adjusting. You may like the standard 6 volt once you get it started and running. Plows and disk and cultivators are not really that hard to find, maybe location. Of course, you need a cub for mowing and another one for gardening and etc. They are contagious little fellers.
Guinea, 1951 Farmall Cub; Jumping Willy, 1949 Farmall Cub, 61 Cub, Scrapy, and 48 Cub Al, 48 cub, Billy D.

Return to “Farmall Cub”