This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

best air compressor/ generator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rmankty
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48446

best air compressor/ generator

Postby Rmankty » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:24 am

Hello, are there any pto generators made for Farmall Cubs? I am looking for best air compressor for home/farm use. I am looking at all options to provide generator/ welder and air compressor functions-in one machine if possible or two. Thanks for your input!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: best air compressor/ generator

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:39 am

The generator or welder that the Cub can power will be limited in size. It requires about 2 hp of engine power per KW of generator output. Considering driveline power losses, the Cub might be able to drive a 4Kw generator. The better approach might be to start by determining what KW of generator output is required for your application.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rmankty
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48446

Postby Rmankty » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:49 am

Thank you very much for your information, I appreciate it very much!

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:55 am

I don't think that it will be easy to use a PTO generator with a Cub. The Cub PTO turns in the opposite direction and at a much faster speed than the normal 540 rpm PTO. If the Cub's horsepower is enough for your purposes, probably the easiest way to use a Cub to drive a generator would be to find a reducer/reverser unit made for the Cub PTO. The last one I saw was priced at $500 which would add quite a bit to the cost. It may be more practical to find a self powered generator/welder on wheels and pull it behind your Cub.

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:34 am

The 540 PTO generators typically use a gear box to step up the 540 to 3600 RPM. Nearly a 1-to-7 gear ratio. Considerable power loss in such a setup. Stepping down the Cub 1600-1800 PTO down to 540 and then up to 3600 will sap a goodly portion of the engine power, leaving little for the generator. The typical 2-pole generator must turn 3600 RPM for 60 Hz output. The exception would be with the addition of an inverter, which adds significant cost.
For the Cub PTO to provide 3600 RPM, probably the simplest and most efficient is to use pulleys and belts. A 9" pulley on the PTO (if space permits such a size) driving a 4" pulley on a jackshaft or generator shaft is the most practical setup I can envision for the 1600 RPM Cubs.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:01 am

For the money, one of the generator sets with engine is probably the best buy. Depending on features, they range from $300- and up.

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... rator+head

I have the above 10 KW generator head installed on a 2 wheeled trailer and powered by a 25 HP Kohler engine. I use this gen set in the shop when using the stick welder. At a guess, I have about $500- invested. Engine and trailer were on hand, left overs from other projects.

I have a 4 kw generator set. This set will power son's house during power outages and also handle high amp demand power tools such as my jack hammer.

The gen set I use the most and the smallest set, 1.5 KW. I use this one to power lights in the shop and battery chargers.

I am looking at all options to provide generator/ welder and air compressor functions-in one machine if possible or two.
Some machines capable of being a generator and a welder are available, but priced out of range for most home owners.

Air compressors. I have 3 different styles. Large tank type that is a permanent fixture in the shop. One, portable, for work on construction sites - operates one air tool at a time. Several 12 volt compressors that folks carry in their vehicles. The 12 volt air compressors will air up everything - just takes forever to air up tractor rears.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:28 am

If you go to the top right and do a search there are some pictures of some member that has one mounted on a cub.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:45 am

I really think the trick on mounting an AC generator on a Cub , is to find the correct one for the task ! I ended up with a "4-pole" 120 Volt "Leland" AC generator , that outputs about 2.2 KW at 1800 RPM , half of the RPM's of the standard units and a lot closer match to the PTO output of the Cub ! It is a lot heavier and twice the size ( of the 3600 RPM version ) , but for the Winter months , when the Aux. power comes in handy , the extra weight ( probably around 100 LB.s + ) on the rear of the Cub, is great for the extra traction weight, for snow plowing ( AG tires, single weight set on the rear / 2 sets on the front, with NO chains ) !
Just my "work around" thoughts, Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:01 am

There are reasons for pto generators, as well as reasons for independent units. With the pto units, you have the advantage of only one engine to maintain and it is more likely to be ready to go when needed. a disadvantage is the rpm regulation is not very good on most older tractors, and things like refrigerator compressors may have trouble starting when the load causes lower cycles on the power, as well as lower voltage till the rpm recovers.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:49 am

Your have some great thoughts on the cycle issues, I have never personally had a problem with my tractor set-up , maybe the trick would to install the "V" belt pulleys ( B belt ) to keep the rpm's up higher on the Cub, at least then, my governator adjusts faster for the extra load ! Generally speaking, WITH THE GENERATOR UNDER LOAD, somewhere between 110 to 120 Volt's seem to work at this end , and my "cycle meter " hangs close to the 60 cycles mark ! Also I would think the "extention cord " (mine is usually a #10 or #12 wire ) adds a lot to my success, less line drop ! Lee Petrie, Joliet, IL.

Return to “Farmall Cub”