This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

’52 Skips under a load // plus DSCF Scouting Report

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
GenrlCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31904

’52 Skips under a load // plus DSCF Scouting Report

Postby GenrlCub » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:52 am

My ’52 “skips” or stutters when under a load—mower engaged (Woods 42), going uphill in 2d. Has new points, plugs, wires, rotor, condensor, dist. cap, and the timing was set. Good fuel flow. Starts easy. What’s this sound like?

Thanks in advance—
Jim

Scouting report on DSCF: Stopped by to see Roy in Sneads last Saturday, he was already prepping for 5th annual DSCF in Feb. Work was occurring so Billy Ray was nowhere to be found (word was BR had to take his new poodle “Fluffy” to the groomers). DSCF is shaping up to be another goodun’—see you there.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Tezell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39861
Tractors Owned: 76 Cub Denim Springs
49 Cub Denim Springs
51 Cub Uncle Harvey
"Jacksonville" 53 Cub
"Jackson" 76 Cub
"Louie" 64 Cub Fast Hitch
"Paw Paw"71 Cub Fast
Hitch
"Alvin" 72 Cub
"Ugly" 75 Cub
76 Cub Val
Mr. Kirkland" 77 Red Cub
77 Cub "Russell
76 Cub w/fast hitch "Edgar"
76 - 185 Cub Lo Boy
John Deere 2003 - 5320
Kubota 7060
Kubota 5400
Kubota 2680
John Deere 445
TO20 Ferguson
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: ’52 Skips under a load // plus DSCF Scouting Report

Postby Tezell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:37 am

Hello Jim.

My guess would be a fuel issue. Take the jet out and make sure it is clear. Check the fuel flow going into the carb, it should be a steady stream. If that is not it, make sure the needle is not sticking in the carb and everything is open and clean in there. After that I am not sure. Maybe a plug????

Looking foward to seeing you again. Roy says we are having a planning session sometime in the future. Let me know what happens with the tractor.
"I ain't believing this!"

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:06 am

Question, magneto or battery powered ignition system?

Swap out ignition coil with a known good one. Thinking weak spark.

Check to see that the distributor is timed to the engine. Thinking distributor may be off timed by a tooth or two.

Thinking ignition problem - some place, but could also be mechanical related, such as a sticking valve.

Also might be a mechanical fault within the distributor itself.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:28 pm

GenrlCub wrote:Jim

Scouting report on DSCF: Stopped by to see Roy in Sneads last Saturday, he was already prepping for 5th annual DSCF in Feb. Work was occurring so Billy Ray was nowhere to be found (word was BR had to take his new poodle “Fluffy” to the groomers). DSCF is shaping up to be another goodun’—see you there.

:lol: :lol:

Was great visiting with you, Jim. Can't wait for the 1st planning session so we can fertilize the farm. :lol: :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

GenrlCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GenrlCub » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:33 am

Thanks Tim-Eugene--
Gives me a few places to start fiddlin'. Eugene, I've been suspect of the coil in the past. I have a 12v system w/Alternator. We'll see what I can do, and police up the balance in Feb if we need to--

Indeed Tim-time for a strategy session with the team! Let's do it on a day the dog groomer's closed so BR can make it!
Jim

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:38 am

Also check your battery connections. I had a similar problem recently, she would start to stutter after about an hour of mowing, with the problem gradually getting worse until she would not work under load at all. Let her sit overnight and she would start the next day just fine, but again start to miss after about an hour. After swapping the coil, changing the cap & rotor, cleaning the carb, it turned out to be corrosion on the battery post and inner side of the cable clamp. Cleaned that up, and she ran flawlessly this past Saturday.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:38 am

Also check your battery connections. I had a similar problem recently, she would start to stutter after about an hour of mowing, with the problem gradually getting worse until she would not work under load at all. Let her sit overnight and she would start the next day just fine, but again start to miss after about an hour. After swapping the coil, changing the cap & rotor, cleaning the carb, it turned out to be corrosion on the battery post and inner side of the cable clamp. Cleaned that up, and she ran flawlessly this past Saturday.
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

GenrlCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby GenrlCub » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:10 am

Follow-up: sixteen bucks and a new 12v coil, internal resistor seems to have done the trick. Mowed for 2 hours yesterday with my fingers crossed--good to go!

Of interest: Swapped the coil, started fine, idled for a minute, shut down. Hmmm--check the fuel shutoff. It was open. Dang--may have problems. Tinkered 5 minutes--nahh--it has plenty of gas in the tank--yathink? Bone dry! Filled her, bumped the starter, off we go! Now tell me that never happened to you!
Jim

Mr E
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32460
eBay ID: noles1432460

Postby Mr E » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:35 am

I knew we couldn't trust your tinkering without a supervisor. :lol:
In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity. - Albert Einstein

Image. Circle of Safety

Roy Edenfield
Deep South CubFest #10
February 14 & 15, 2020

pickerandsinger
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 13143
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub Low Boy w/ FH Mott Flail Mower
1953 Cub w/ sprayer and 54A blade (Chompers)
1954 Cub w/fast hitch (Ira)
1948 Cub ( Papa Paul)with Henderson loader..
1951 Mutt mix Cub (BattleAx
1950 Farmall Cub (basket case demo)
Cub parts tractor
2019 " KuB"ota 2601 loader and roto tiller
1951 Ferguson TEA 20 (parts)( Uncle Rusty)
F/H Disc Harrow for cub L-38
C-22 Sickle Bar Mower
IH C2 and C3 mower
Universal tool attachment with disc hillers..Rear cultivators (various tips
York Rake for Cub home made
Single bottom Plow for Cub F194
Gravely 5660 12 hp/ w snoblower.rototiller,bush hog

Postby pickerandsinger » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:22 am

GenrlCub wrote:Follow-up: sixteen bucks and a new 12v coil, internal resistor seems to have done the trick. Mowed for 2 hours yesterday with my fingers crossed--good to go!

Of interest: Swapped the coil, started fine, idled for a minute, shut down. Hmmm--check the fuel shutoff. It was open. Dang--may have problems. Tinkered 5 minutes--nahh--it has plenty of gas in the tank--yathink? Bone dry! Filled her, bumped the starter, off we go! Now tell me that never happened to you!
Jim
Was about to request you check the coil, same thing happened to me recently, but the reason I post is..... :oops:..,started tractor, Pressure washed my lo boy, wife came out,shut off tractor,we went to lunch,came back, started tractor, resume pressure washing, tractor quit :shock: ....Went to bank to get some money for the Northeast cubfest,came back tractor still won't start, assuming it got wet pulled the dist cap, dry,checked points and gizzards inside,dry.....light bulb goes off...turn on gas, start tractor, finish pressure washing....Been off since the lunch run.... :oops: :lol:Dave
In Memory of 58,286

Return to “Farmall Cub”