This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Throttle / Governor question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Throttle / Governor question

Postby Hengy » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:21 pm

What year cub is it? If it has the 'newer' rockshaft at the end (the L shaped piece), it is shorter and means less throw in the throttle quadrant end...from what I recall 7-13 may be about right for that style. Without an RPM Gauge, are you still having problems getting "full throttle" on the engine? Does it throttle down all the way to idle? Check the rest of the system for any slop. Pretty much any play in any parts (including egg-shaped holes where the governor spring attaches) will mean decreased RPM's and less power...

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill E Bob
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74070

Postby Bill E Bob » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Jason, there were 2 levers that Jim described. The early Cubs had the lever with the longer arm which allowed full range of the throttle quadrant. Later model Cubs had the lever with the shorter arm, which did not allow full use of the throttle quadrant, however, the results from idle to full were the same, just using a shorter range of the quadrant. I'm sure there are comparison pictures, however, I'm not sure where to look for them. Perhaps someone else can post one.
Whoops, Hengy was quicker on the draw :oops:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Here are two pictures from TM Tractor:

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Postby Jason_Coffey » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:37 pm

Thanks guys for the information. That makes more sense to me. I think I have full range of motion now. I turned out the high idle bolt a few turns and now the throttle handle goes all the way forward with ease and remains there without springing back a notch or two. By moving the throttle from about middle of the quadrant to the last forward notch the carb opens and closes fully both directions. I also adjusted the carb linkage a little to remove some slack. There seems to be about a 1/4" slop either direction in the shaft. I lengthened the carb rod a little and it seems to work better. The previous owner didn't care for this cub at all. It's a shame.

My wife and I bought a new house and we move in November 15th. I will have a 40x50 shop to tinker in instead of our garage. Once I get moved I plan to remove the transmission and get it rebuilt. After I get that accomplished my cub should be in good shape. I also plan to clean up my Woods mower before I re attach it to the cub.

Thanks again for all the help with this linkage. :)

Return to “Farmall Cub”