This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wires heating and melting going to battery????

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bluetooth698
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70733
Tractors Owned: 1950 farmall cub

Wires heating and melting going to battery????

Postby bluetooth698 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:51 am

I have a 1951 farmall cub. Im having trouble figuring out why my battery cables are heating up and eventually melting the wires. The guy I bought it from said he converted to 12 v system. I think he might have something backwards and could be causing my problems. The hot side of battery or positive is going straight to starter and the ground goes straight to the tractor. any help would be awesome. you guys always help me with my problems im sure you wont let me down. Thanks from Louisiana!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Wires heating and melting going to battery????

Postby Jackman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:56 am

Its a positive ground system , its backwards however that alone would not melt the battery cables.

bluetooth698
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70733
Tractors Owned: 1950 farmall cub

Postby bluetooth698 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:18 pm

So my negative should be going to my starter????

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:27 pm

In converting to 12 volts, the PO probably changed to negative ground. You need to determine exactly what you have before going forward.

Jackman
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12487

Postby Jackman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:46 pm

when I bought my 51 Cub it was wired backwards and it ran I switched to positive ground and no other changes, my battery cables never melted, then is a difference between 6 volt cables and 12 volt cables and since yours is a 12 convert maybe the 6 volt cables are still there :idea: , however still your cub should run pos gronnd or neg ground so my guess you have a short somewhere or bad cables.

link to a similar battery cable post

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=39074&p=322352&hilit=+positive+ground#p322352

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 pm

It won't hurt to use the six volt cables with a 12 volt battery since 6 volt cables are heavier than 12 volt cables.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:19 am

What size cables do you have? The original size battery cables are heavy enough you should be able to put a dead short on the end of the battery cables and still carry the current till the battery goes dead. Check your wiring, It originally would have been one wire from battery to frame of tractor (originally side of battery box), and other battery wire to starter. Then a smaller wire from the starter stud to the amp meter and another to the generator. If it is the big wire from the battery melting, check for shorts, especially where it passes the clutch pedal. Since it was converted to 12 volts it was most likely done wit an alternator, in which case it should be wired similar to this. diagram compliments of Farmall Bob Mehlville.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:15 am

Check the area where the battery cable is routed next to the clutch pedal.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Rocket Man
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: n1e2b5
Tractors Owned: At the Farm today\
1951 Farmall Cub
1980 Roper 20t

Postby Rocket Man » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Barnyard wrote:It won't hurt to use the six volt cables with a 12 volt battery since 6 volt cables are heavier than 12 volt cables.

so very newbie here but
I just threw on some battery cable from the auto store for the pos ground ( and in my other post kicked it off and now the cub will not spark at all)
can this 12 volt cable cause me problems,
Thanks

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bus Driver » Fri Nov 22, 2013 5:23 pm

The cables for vehicles are not really rated by voltage but by gauge. The so-called 12 volt cable is a smaller gauge (higher numerically) than is cable suitable for 6 volt vehicles. For 6 volt Cubs, 2/0 cable is ideal. For 12 volt, #4 might be adequate.
None of this applies to wiring for buildings.
Battery cables experience maximum loads for only brief periods of time and it is assumed that significant cooling times will occur between periods of heavy use. Cables that are too small have significant voltage drop and the drop is directly proportional to the amperage that cable is supplying at the moment.
Luck favors those who are prepared

Return to “Farmall Cub”