This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

time of year for me to get annoyed

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

time of year for me to get annoyed

Postby ad356 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:12 pm

my tractor ran great all summer but now its cold once again she fights me every time i try to start it. it will fire, die; fire then die, fire then die maybe if you are lucky it might stay running. i love these tractors in warm weather but they suck once it gets cold. i just dont think updraft carburators are a good thing in cold weather. i had a snowblower that had an briggs with an updraft carb and it was the same way. will this thing ever start easy in the winter i have my doubts. it has good plugs, wires, points, ect. the best winter starting engine in my opinion, kohler cast iron kseries. the cub i love my tractor but hate in the winter. shouldnt it run the same in the winter as it does in the summer. this tractor is nothing but a pain in the rear once the weather gets cold. i also hate guessing i dont want to go and replace hundreds of dollars of parts to MAYBE get it to start better in the winter. warm weather starting is effortless often time choke isnt even required.

also where do i a get good 6V battery because my battery is shot. been trying to hand start what about an 8 volt battery might spin it over faster make starting easier. this tracto really is a pain in the winter, i understand now why they dont build them like this anymore. .well built but very temperamental in cold weather. it ran so good this summer i even forgot about what i pain it is in cold weather.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Re: time of year for me to get annoyed

Postby artc » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:31 pm

I guess i'll differ with you on the kohler cast iron series. there is no compression release, making them hard to spin in the cold....

but on to your cub. a poor 6 volt battery will not give the spark needed in the cold, assuming it has battery ignition. the battery de-rates as the temp goes down. the old farmers tell me about bringing the battery in next to the stove at night - a good battery, that is.

if you want it to start in the cold, convert it to 12V, add an alternator and electronic ignition. now you have a chance....or buy a new 6 volt battery and keep it next to the stove.

I know the CP will be on this...
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:43 pm

k series dont have compression release. sorry your information is incorrect. have you ever rebuilt a k series? you could have had a k series with a failed compression release but i have never seen that happen. on a k series camshaft there is a tab mounted on the exhaust lobe of the cam. as the cam is spinning at cranking speeds the tab extends holding the exhaust valve open for starting. once the engine is up to RPM the weights mounted on the camshaft gear retract the tab and engine will run at full compression and power. they do, in fact have compression release. does the C60?

as far as converting to 12v i dont want spend hundreds buying an altenator, replacing the starter, and all lighting (i do run the tractor at night) also battery voltage has no effect on how hot my spark is, as i have a J4 magnetor not battery ignition. if i ever did go the 12v route, i would retain the mag.

what is the cost on 12 v conversions?

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:49 pm

did they make 12v generators instead of hacking a 12v delco altenator on the tractor and messing up a good hood. i need a battery anyways so perhaps i should do a 12v conversion. what is the easiest way to go about it? can i keep the tractor postive ground and replace the 6v gen with a 12v gen and the starter with a 12v starter?

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Yes they made 12 volt generators, they also put delco alternators on them from the factory! And the hood was not hacked up!
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:12 pm

I prefer 6v and all my runners start up on the coldest day, but that is just my preference. It sounds like you have convinced yourself to go 12v. If so, then get a Delco one wire alternator. You don't have to hack the hood. Probably less than $200.00 for the switch over. I believe there is a how to in the "How To" forum on this.

If you decide to stay with six volts then a good battery is about $90.00. Buy a maintainer for under $20.00 and you won't have to keep it by the stove at night. Regardless of what you decide, don't get an 8V battery.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:25 pm

And you don't necessarily have to change the starter to 12V.
Thomas

hoosier
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37075

Postby hoosier » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:32 pm

I changed my 48 mag. Cub over to 12V for the cost of a Walmart battery and three bulbs. Haven't had to charge the batt.. That was 4 years ago. The voltage reg. is pretty loosie goosie so I guess I get enough voltage spikes to keep it charged. My cubs start easy. They have to or no one could have hand cranked them.

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ad356 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:37 pm

they start easy?? so what gives with mine because its really irritating. i can start it in the warm weather by hand but in the winter forget it. for a while when my battery went south i did in fact hand start it, it was fairly easy. winter is another story.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:05 pm

ad356 wrote:they start easy?? so what gives with mine because its really irritating. i can start it in the warm weather by hand but in the winter forget it. for a while when my battery went south i did in fact hand start it, it was fairly easy. winter is another story.

Many variables there, when was the last complete tune up? Was it done by someone that knew what they were doing? Has the carburetor been overhauled? The cub is 1940s technology, it does not have an automatic choke , nor is it fuel injected.
It can be many things causing it not to start when cold. Low voltage would be my guess but is only a guess, bad plugs, bad wires, the list is endless. Bottom line all things being equal it should crank as well when cold as warm.
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:06 pm

ad356 wrote:i have a J4 magneto not battery ignition.
Does magneto's impulse coupling click when hand cranking the engine in cold weather?

Got spark to spark plugs?

If the battery has enough umph to turn over the engine when cold - that's not the major problem.

Suggest complete engine tune up, including compression tests, and valve tappet adjustments. Check gaskets, block to manifold, manifold to carburetor. Assuming compression is good. The cold start problem is either ignition/magneto or carburetion related.
I have an excuse. CRS.

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:06 pm

My 6v Cub is no more difficult to start in cold weather and for the last 5 or 6 years has been sitting under a shed, almost like being outside.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Bob Perry
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02748
Tractors Owned: :

1949 Farmall Cub / FH

1951 Farmall Cub / IH mower

1964 International Cub Lo-Boy / Woods 59 mower

1967 International Cub / FH

1946 Farmall H

1949 Farmall H

a doodle bug

More than a dozen Cub Cadets running plus a few in the bone-yard

Postby Bob Perry » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:43 pm

Back when I was a "real farmer" and by that I mean all my family's income was generated by the farm operation, the implications of an engine not starting was huge. We had many nights below zero degrees and it started at 5 a.m. with getting feed, manure removal, snow removal etc. If a tractor was in an unheated space, I had 110 volt battery warmers which were a plate about 5'16 inch thick, under the battery. A warm battery is exponentially more powerful than a cold one. Together with an engine warmer, the chances of an engine not starting were slim. Never used the "tenders" but I'm sure they're good too.
REMEMBER: Keep it correct or you may face the

Dusty B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61736
Tractors Owned: '45 SC Case

Postby Dusty B » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:04 pm

All of the above suggestions! Would bet all 5 of mine would start (2 of them w/o choking), have never removed battery in winter, do start them periodically, sta-bil in gas, going to be 9 deg. in the AM, w/check them out!! Knock on wood! LOL ! Dusty B
Grandpa's '41 B
'56,,'57,'59, Cu'b
'45 C
'55 Case S
Dad's DB garden tractor
'48 DeSoto
'31 "A Coup
'79 Lincoln TC
God looks out for those of us who don't know how to look out for ourselves!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:30 pm

Myself, I agree with Barnyard. All my tractors with the exception of garden tractors are 6 volt and start and run well in any weather. On really cold days it may take an additional 2 seconds to fire up an I need to run them on choke for a few minutes but after that, all is good. If you have good spark my guess is you have a lean condition in the carburetor. I suggest removing the main jet (brass hex on the side of the carb) and make sure it has no partial blockage. If all is good there, maybe turn the idle screw out a 1/4 or 1/2 turn to richen the mixture a bit for the colder weather.

Oh yeah, I strongly recommend a battery maintainer....
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Return to “Farmall Cub”