This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Redoing as little as possible in a Transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12477
Circle of Safety: Y

Redoing as little as possible in a Transmission

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:38 pm

Howdy,

About this time last year, I bought a non-running '48 cub. Over the summer. I worked on the engine and I have had it running enough to hear growls from the transmission. The noise occurs in neutral and is worse when the PTO is engaged.

I knew that there was some vertical play in the PTO shaft when I bought it. I pulled the transmission (another story) and there is also some play with the input shaft. Will I need a shop press to replace the front and rear spline shaft bearings and the PTO bearing?

I have been reading the How-Tos on transmission and PTO rebuilding. They mention pressing the bearings out. I have this hand held set Image but I not know if it will be enough for this job.

Another question: the Countershaft bearing retainer cap has a small hole which leaks oil. I assume that that is not normal and I should plug it before reinstalling it.
Paul Van Benschoten

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bus Driver
10+ Years
10+ Years

Re: Redoing as little as possible in a Transmission

Postby Bus Driver » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:58 pm

Here is my opinion. On the Cub, any gear that looks OK will be reused. Any bearing that is not absolutely perfect will be replaced. If just one gear must be replaced, it is almost certain that some transmission noise will be evident thereafter, especially if the replacement is a new after-market part. The bearings hold the gears in proper alignment and are crucial!
If the bearings are OK, the gears should last a very long time even if a bit noisy. But the transmission will be very noisy with bad bearings-- and the gears will wear abnormally quickly.
Only an opinion.
Luck favors those who are prepared

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:56 pm

Hi Paul, the rear bearing is pressed in to the case, it needs to be driven out towards the PTO, the front is held on to the imput with a snap ring, remove snap ring, some slide off, some need more persuasion, I have an extra cap you can have if you need it
Tim

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:57 pm

Bus Driver, I plan on replacing the three bearings on the input shaft and PTO but not replace the counter shaft or the gears. I just want to make sure that is a safe thing to do.

Tim, Thanks, I do have another cap to use if I can not fix this one. The hole is very small. I did not see the hole until I saw a droplet of oil on the cap.
Paul Van Benschoten

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 pm

Paul, also check the bushing on the imput shaft where the pto slides in to it, they get worn out also
Tim

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 pm

I probably did not ask the correct question. I used "Redoing" in the title but I should have used "Removing"

Since I planed on changing the three bearings, I was wondering if I had to remove the differential to get to any of the bearings. Tim pointed out that the rear bearing for the drive shaft has to be pressed out towards the rear, so I think the differential needs to come out. The service manual shows the differential removed before working on the transmission, but I wasn't sure if that was necessary.

Fortunately for me, I have a spare transmission on the shelf and I installed that today. I will work on the noisy one over the winter, or wait until the next cubfest.

On a related note, what do people do with broken torque tubes ? I now have one broken bolt hole where the transmission attaches. It was standing in the driveway next to the tractor I am working on so I put a board on top and used it for a place to put tools. Oh, I had a spare torque tube on the shelf next to the spare transmission :D so everything is back together and running. :D
Paul Van Benschoten

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:44 pm

Paul Van Benschoten wrote:.........Since I planed on changing the three bearings, I was wondering if I had to remove the differential to get to any of the bearings. Tim pointed out that the rear bearing for the drive shaft has to be pressed out towards the rear, so I think the differential needs to come out. The service manual shows the differential removed before working on the transmission, but I wasn't sure if that was necessary..........
For the rear driveshaft bearing you just have to get the PTO and rear plate out of the way and remove the shifter and driveshaft. I would say "knock it out" instead of "press it out". Pressing it out sounds like you need all kinds of fancy tools and makes it way more involved than it really is. To knock it out you just need a hammer and an old chisel or screwdriver to hit.

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:43 am

replacing the transmission with a cub cadet original transmission or gear/ bearing sets from most any gear drive cub cadet is by far the least expensive and quickest method of repair, as long as there are units available. then you replace all the gears including the ring and pinion, and all the bearings.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:46 am

Several Forum members have used defective torque tubes as tool stands (grinder, wire wheel, etc.).

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Paul Van Benschoten
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul Van Benschoten » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:09 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Several Forum members have used defective torque tubes as tool stands (grinder, wire wheel, etc.).

Bob

That is what I had in mind. I may leave it outside the garage and use it as a plant stand during the summer. I have a couple of extras in the shed, I may put one next to each garage door as accent pieces. :lol: My wife will love that :roll: and it will clear up some floor space.
Paul Van Benschoten

Return to “Farmall Cub”