This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

clutch pedall and finger adjustment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
1990caprice
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40508

clutch pedall and finger adjustment

Postby 1990caprice » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:01 pm

hello, i believe i am in need of adjusting my clutch fingers and the pedal as the gears grind when put into gear. i have never done anything like this before so bear with me. im having some difficulty it the terminology such as the 1''3/16" free movement. does that mean it should move that much without engaging the clutch any? also then there is the eighth inch clearance between the fingers and the release bearing should it be 1/8" when the clutch is not engaged and should it be an eighth when the fingers and the pedal are correctly adjusted? and should i adjust the fingers first (they seem to off about an eighth of an inch) and then the pedal ? again thank you for all the help!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: clutch pedall and finger adjustment

Postby Bob McCarty » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:50 pm

Here's a link to a "How to" by Jeff Silvey that I think will answer most of your questions. I'd adjust the fingers first and then the pedal travel.
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=66543

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

bythepond88
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60073

Postby bythepond88 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:55 pm

You should adjust the fingers first, because the free play refers to the clutch travel before the throwout bearing contacts the fingers. The 1/8" clearance is between the fingers and the throwout bearing with the clutch at rest (a paint stirrer stick is a great tool for measuring this clearance.

Not sure about the free play measurement - I thought it was one inch of travel. Anyway, that measurement is the least critical of the three. If the fingers are at the proper height, and you have the 1/8 inch clearance, it won't matter if the free-play is a bit off (you are actually setting the gap between the throwout bearing when you set the free play - in other words, it is the same adjustment).
Michael Cummings
Eddie - a 1959 International Lo-Boy named after my father in law, who who bought her new.

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower

Postby twotone » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:01 pm

A squirt of Kroil in the pilot bushing might not hurt either.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

Return to “Farmall Cub”