This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Lube, lube and more lube....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: -
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Lube, lube and more lube....

Postby RedFox » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:03 pm

So I'm getting the cub ready for winter, and have been reading the oil in distributor thread. Looks to me like the PO never put any lube in there since I still have the flat screws. I put a couple of drops of 30w in there, which I now find was not the right thing to do, but it was only a couple of drops....so my questions are this:

What kind of grease should I pump into these openings I'm about to add zerk fittings to on the distributor drive housing and distributor grease hole and how much grease? I read where it says until a bit comes out the other end, but that seems like a lot.

Second, I flushed out the trans and though I did this a few years ago, I'd like to run this by you all just to make sure I did it right this time around. There are three plugs. One on top to fill, one on the bottom to drain, and one on the side. I fill until it starts coming out the side plug hole?

Thanks!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Lube, lube and more lube....

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:35 am

RedFox wrote:Second, I flushed out the trans and though I did this a few years ago, I'd like to run this by you all just to make sure I did it right this time around. There are three plugs. One on top to fill, one on the bottom to drain, and one on the side. I fill until it starts coming out the side plug hole?

Thanks!

Yes. Oil filler plug on top, oil level plug on side and oil drain plug on bottom. Completely drain and dispose of tranny oil via oil drain plug. Close drain, put in 3-1/2 pints (+/-)of kerosene and drive around for a few minutes, drain. Re-fill with gear oil per manual (SAE-90 or equivalent) until oil starts coming out the oil level plug hole in the side. Close up and you're done. Manual recommends doing this once a year or every 1000 hours of use (Owner's Manual 5-23-47, page 20, located here: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html).

Think I got this right, but always be sure to check the Manual for directions and specifications.

Someone else will need to answer your first question.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:53 am

RedFox wrote:What kind of grease should I pump into these openings I'm about to add zerk fittings to on the distributor drive housing and distributor grease hole and how much grease? I read where it says until a bit comes out the other end, but that seems like a lot.
I replaced the plugs with zerks and left the zerks in. First time you apply grease to the zerks, follow the directions, look for the excess grease coming out the relief holes.

Use a general purpose grease. I grease the distributor drive during the spring fluid change. Operator's manual says to lub every 6 months or 500 hours. I use once a year because I do not come close to putting 500 hours on a tractor in a year.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:58 pm

After flushing the tranny, some like to use Hytran in place of the 90 weight oil in the case. They say it helps to keep water at bay...
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:24 pm

Thanks everyone. Glad the level of fluid in the trans is correct. Been using HyTran+. Didn't put any kerosene in, but did cap the bottom put some fresh fluid in, opened the bottom plug up again, let it drain completely and then capped and refilled. I may put 50 hours on it a year, so not overly concerned, but my guess is the distributor has never been lubed yet. Will get right on that this weekend, though it'll be plenty cold out this coming weekend compared to last.

Thanks again to all on and off the thread who have responded. :)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:53 pm

RedFox wrote:............. but my guess is the distributor has never been lubed yet. ..........

Second point first (and not directed at you RedFox because you're just the recipient); I don't understand members of this forum sending PM's on how to fix things, explanations, and offering advice. The whole point of this forum is to SHARE information. By sending PM's, it's basically a secret message and only one person gets the information. When information is put on the forum the original person gets that information along with anyone else reading it now or in the future. Rant over.

First point second; The plugs are there to keep from overgreasing the distributor. Common use of a grease fitting is to keep pumping the grease gun until grease comes out somewhere. NOT a good thing for the distributor. The plugs make you stop and think about what you are doing and how much (little) grease they should get. Put a grease fitting there and it may get the gun and half a dozen pumps before you remember, by that time it's way to late. I take the plugs out, insert a fitting, grease it, and then take the fitting out and put the plug back in. Just because it has plugs doesn't mean it's never been greased.

Criswell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48180
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub with
- 54 Blade
- 193 Moldboard Plow
- Woods 59 C-2 mower

Postby Criswell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Scrivet wrote: I take the plugs out, insert a fitting, grease it, and then take the fitting out and put the plug back in. Just because it has plugs doesn't mean it's never been greased.

That is exactly what it says to do on page 33 of the Cub Owners Manual for 1955. Remove plugs, install grease fittings, grease, remove fittings, re-install plugs. This was supposed to keep the distributor from being over-greased, this is one point where too much grease is a bad thing.
Where you are, right now, is of absolutly no use unless you are able to get away from it, FAST!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:00 pm

Criswell wrote:That is exactly what it says to do on page 33 of the Cub Owners Manual for 1955. Remove plugs, install grease fittings, grease, remove fittings, re-install plugs. This was supposed to keep the distributor from being over-greased, this is one point where too much grease is a bad thing.
You are suppose to stop greasing when a small amount of grease exits the relief hole on the side opposite the plug. This may only take a fraction of a full stroke of the grease gun.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hoyt-Clagwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07853
Tractors Owned: 47' Cub

Postby Hoyt-Clagwell » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Humm... this is a little preventative maintenance that has somehow escaped me I'm glad RedFox posted it. I looked at my plugs today and only had an old ruler to use but they looked to be about 3/8". Is this a standard size for zerks? I've never bought any before.
Also its probably a good idea to make sure the relief hole isn't blocked up. Don't want to be squirting grease in there expecting some to come out a plugged relief hole. I felt with my finger for the relief hole this afternoon but there was too much grease and dirt, would a bent piece of something the size of coat hanger get in there?
Thanks, Dan

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:46 pm

I have bought zerks in two different fitting sizes. The distributor takes the larger size. 3/8" sounds right. Those plugs do not always come out easily. I have not been successful yet in getting one of the two plugs out of my 61.

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:08 pm

The correct threads on the zerks should be 1/8" NPT.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 pm

Xperimental wrote:Those plugs do not always come out easily. I have not been successful yet in getting one of the two plugs out of my 61.
Clean up the crud around the plug then soak with solvent for a day or two.

Punch, top of screwdriver slot, tap the punch to rotate the plug counter clockwise.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:18 pm

Scrivet wrote:
RedFox wrote:............. but my guess is the distributor has never been lubed yet. ..........

Second point first (and not directed at you RedFox because you're just the recipient); I don't understand members of this forum sending PM's on how to fix things, explanations, and offering advice. The whole point of this forum is to SHARE information. By sending PM's, it's basically a secret message and only one person gets the information. When information is put on the forum the original person gets that information along with anyone else reading it now or in the future. Rant over.

While I cannot add anything on the grease fitting debate other than to say to follow the directions in the manual, I CAN wholeheartedly agree with Scrivet regarding sending PMs instead of posting to the thread for all to gain from the knowledge contained in the post. I don't know if people are afraid that they will be contradicted if they post or what the motivation is, but I can say that I really love open responses on the forum!

OK... I'll stop ranting along with Scrivet.
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

RedFox
10+ Years
10+ Years
'77 Cub "Daisy"
'47 Farmall A "Poppy"

Postby RedFox » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 pm

Well, I didn't have any 1/8" NPT zerks, so I picked some up (45 degree angle ones), only they came in a 10 pack, I really only need maybe two (one spare), so I have 8 I don't need (when they arrive next week). Anyone want one, shoot me your address via PM and I'll send you one when they arrive.... consider it an xmas gift...if you want, you can pay it forward. ;)

Thanks Ricky for pointing out what exact size we needed. Saved me a lot of trial and possible error. :D

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Eugene » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:58 pm

RedFox wrote: zerks, only they came in a 10 pack
Living in the sticks, local hardware store or local New Holland dealership (only tractor dealership in town) has small common hardware/parts on hand, including zerks. You can purchase singles. Actually the New Holland dealership handles IH parts.

My other thought or suggestion is to purchase assortment packs of zerks, o-rings, electrical connections, etc..
I have an excuse. CRS.

Return to “Farmall Cub”