This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Battery Maintainer for us procrastinators..

Tools and Reviews to help your fellow Cubber's.
Forum rules
Unwarranted FLAME reviews will be deleted without notice. Members are encouraged to exhaust all arbitration efforts with the companies before posting negative reviews here.

FarmallCub.Com and the moderators are not responsible for member reviews of businesses and attractions.

Send issues regarding reviews to Cub@farmallcub.com.
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Battery Maintainer for us procrastinators..

Postby dgrapes59 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:52 pm

Well, I drug my feet, got busy and sidetracked and failed to order a few of the battery maintainers Jim Becker had given the "heads up" on back in October at Wally. I figured I would order a few today and see they have one of the Schumacher models on sale for $14.97! I ordered 3 and got FREE shipping! SO.. thought I would pass this on with all the cold weather starting posts going on......

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM ... p/15140193
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Battery Maintainer for us procrastinators..

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 15, 2013 7:49 pm

Thanks for the reminder. My high lift uses four six volt batteries that seem to go dead over the winter. The repair shop can't find a voltage drain anywhere so I need to keep them charged. The dealer recommends charging them once a month. The built in charger is fine but you have to remember to plug it in once a month and then take it off when done or loose the batteries to freeze. After two years of problems (four new batteries each time) I decided to move the batteries indoors for the winter and put them back in the spring. The maintainers would be good for keeping them fresh while in storage. Certainly cheaper than new batteries at $129.00 each
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:05 pm

Barnyard, if your charger is manual without it's own timer, get a programmable timer and set it to run for an hour or so once a week. I have the maintainers for the H and portable generator set up that way and it works great.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:22 pm

John, the machine has a brand new built in charger that charges all four batteries at the same time. It does not have a timer. Anything I buy will have to be able to charge four batteries at once. Since the batteries will be out and stored in the basement during the winter I figured the maintainers would do the job for less money. Also, that way I don't have to remember to go downstairs to shut down my regular charger.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:54 am

dgrapes59 wrote:Well, I drug my feet, got busy and sidetracked and failed to order a few of the battery maintainers Jim Becker had given the "heads up" on back in October at Wally. I figured I would order a few today and see they have one of the Schumacher models on sale for $14.97! I ordered 3 and got FREE shipping! SO.. thought I would pass this on with all the cold weather starting posts going on......

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Schumacher-XM ... p/15140193

Sometimes it pays to wait! Glad you got yours on sale!! 8)

I have one on my working Cub with blade and snow blade in the barn and another in the garage with four other batteries I've pulled from my garden tractor, 2 Cubs and an H. I rotate the leads each day from one battery to the next. Keeps 'em maintained and ready to go.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:49 pm

Barnyard wrote:John, the machine has a brand new built in charger that charges all four batteries at the same time. ......
I was thinking of leaving them in the lift, and using the internal charger on the batteries controlled by the timer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:56 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
Barnyard wrote:John, the machine has a brand new built in charger that charges all four batteries at the same time. ......
I was thinking of leaving them in the lift, and using the internal charger on the batteries controlled by the timer.

Now I got ya'. Never thought of that, I'll look into that.

Circle of Safety

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:21 am

Barnyard stated: My high lift uses four six volt batteries that seem to go dead over the winter. The repair shop can't find a voltage drain anywhere…..

All our newer tractors have modules in the electronics' that cause a parasitic draw of 300 milli amps. Usually in 30 days (most of the tractors set all winter) the batteries are discharged enough and should be recharged or damage could result because of freezing. The solution was to start the tractors to recharge the batteries or use a battery maintainer. After forgetting to start /charge or putting a charger on the tractors a couple of times I tried this to shut the electronics down completely and no battery failures up to this point.(This winter)

Battery cutoff switch…. They make these things in various designs, but I have a lot of space to install so I choose this type. If I remember I paid $2 per. Image

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:34 pm

I've used that type of disconnect on our John Deere compact diesel. They work fine until the soft plastic threads on the battery half get cross-threaded, which is easily done. I'm searching for something a little more substantial.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:11 am

Don McCombs wrote:
They work fine until the soft plastic threads on the battery half get cross-threaded...

Don,
Thanks for the warning.

JimT
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38482
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub-Buttercub
582 Cub Cadet-Brutus
109 Cub Cadet-Bee-atrice
129 Cub Cadet-Artie

Postby JimT » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:16 pm

I have been reading the maintainer posts.

I was wondering. If the maintainer will keep an auto size battery charged up do you think one of these maintainers will keep 2 or 3 lawnmower size batteries charged up if they are wired together in parallel? Connect one leak to the first battery and the other lead to the last battery so the charge is running through all the batteries.
JimT

If you can't find it, don't lose it.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:23 pm

Yes it can be done in parallel.

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Just picked mine up. Thanks, David.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack fowler » Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Don,
I had to get a backhoe out to move snow today and I check on one of those battery disconnects I have and I didn’t see any plastic on it at all except for the knob. I only turn the knob about 1/8 turn to disconnect. I tried to separate the halves and couldn’t. I had to get to work…when I get time I’ll remove one completely and investigate. Sorry for the bad photo I was in a dark building when I took the pictures.
ImageImageImage

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:02 pm

My 3 arrived yesterday and 2 are in use now, they look like nice little units.
David

Return to “Tool Talk and Reviews”