This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Lo Boy is a movie star....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

The Lo Boy is a movie star....

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:46 pm

Ok, actually a slide show.... Hope you have some time, it's 26 minutes.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: The Lo Boy is a movie star....

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Dec 22, 2013 4:54 pm

Trivia question.... What are the big steel wheels for, apparently a cannon carriage?
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

ReTractor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 06437
Tractors Owned: 1956 lo-boy

Postby ReTractor » Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:30 pm

Thanks for the slide show I enjoyed it. That is a very cool place. My wife and I have been to Newport several times but always did the regular tourist things...mansions, shops, food. I gotta see this place. I'm not that far away down here on the coast in CT so it's an easy day trip. That's some big boat in the background in the beginning is that a cruise ship or someone's toy? The big steel wheels...made to move something heavy for sure. I'm guessing you know the answer?

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:59 am

Enjoyed the slide show. Great job on "rescuing" the fort from Mother Nature. Hats off to you and the volunteers doing the work.

Billy

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:50 pm

Thanks Billy! I am just happy to have 'challenging' mowing! Wait till I get one of the Advanced Redoubt put together, all of that was done with volunteers and is truly a gem now.

The cruise ships are around in the fall. I didn't pick the photo that youtube used but it is a pretty good view up there and a respectable photo. I have even seen the Queen Mary 2 from that corner of the crown works (east demi-bastion).

I got the big wheels free with a hi lift jack and a come-a-long. One wheel spins but the other is stuck on the axle, with the yoke/bridle removed (1" bolt! vs 18V DeWalt sawzall) we can roll it by hand before they put up the fence. Official word is that there is a photo of it with a cannon barrel on it somewhere.

When I was putting this together I was amazed at how much the place really changed in the 3 summers I have mowed it. At first I never knew that behind the sumac and poison ivy was more stonework until the Boy Scouts cut and chipped one section of the south bastion. (the blue tarp is finally gone). But once you get used to something looking a certain way, you (or at least I) forget what it looked like before. I call that 'house blindness', you notice the change, but after a time it becomes normal.

Took a walk through there yesterday (to cut the 1" bolt and the other rusty pin) and the place hasn't looked so good in ages. I am really, really happy with how it looks and proud to be part of it.

Bing 'birds eye' view is great because you can make out details that a straight down view (IE satellite) view obscures. You can pan and rotate 90 degrees (upper right) http://binged.it/1cOkizS That was obviously taken before the 'big haircut' but in the winter, so not all the details are obscured.

Re-tractor.... got a pair of loppers with your name on em, always glad to show a fellow Cub owner (or even an innocent passer-by) the place. It is a marvel!

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:43 am

Although the grounds are now covered with grass and vegatation, were they origionally covered with crushed stone or some other form of cover? I don't think that grass would have been there then. It would not have held up to foot traffic. I remember when yards around here were hoed clean and then swepped with brush brooms. Just wondering how the military handled the grass problem.

Billy

JohnL (BlackJeep)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 26321
Tractors Owned: -
1952 Farmall Cub "Squeaky"
1954 Farmall Cub "Patience"
2013 Kubota L3200

Postby JohnL (BlackJeep) » Wed Dec 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Larry - thanks for the great slide show! That really looks like a fun mowing job. Keep the great photos (and movies) coming..
----- Farmall Cub - The most fun you can have with your pants on...

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rob in NH » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:55 pm