This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

steel gas line.....practice makes perfect

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rmankty
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48446

Re: steel gas line.....practice makes perfect

Postby Rmankty » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:27 am

Hello, I own a 1948 Cub.The previous owner installed a copper fuel line from bowl to a manual shut-off valve,with a rubber hose between that and carb. I need to buy a tube flaring and bending kit. I want to be able to make my own lines for all tubing on this tractor-starting with the fuel line. Can you please give me the tread sizes for fuel line fittings coming out of stock carb,and at sediment bowl? Also,is the stock 3/4 updraft carb better or Zenith? I cleaned fuel tank out couple years ago,and sediment bowl was replaced with new filter. I havent used it but a few times since,plowed snow twice last winter. This winter it stalled on me while plowing.I got it restarted and it ran fine until just before I put it away,and it almost stalled again,but recovered and then I put it away. I have a new copper line with fittings on it,but I want to buy some steel line with fittings and a tube bending and flaring kit,so I can make up a spare to have on hand. If I can I want to put off replacing carb and doing other work until spring. I have been at Eastwood website looking at their tube bending and flaring kits. Any recommendations for a basic kit? I want a good kit but not over $100.It would be primarily for my Cub.Thank you for your assistance.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby dgrapes59 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:49 am

This was just discussed on another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=81676&start=15

Tom, The threading is 1/2" x 20. It's a compression fitting for 5/16" steel line (brake line). Auto parts stores should have them, or you can order two from TM Tractor when they reopen on Monday. The sediment bowl takes the same fitting.

Bob

If you just have the one Cub needing a fuel line you would be money ahead to just get a steel fuel line from TM Tractor when they open back up Monday, will likely last your life time!

Good luck,
David

RustyKnuckles
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01073

Postby RustyKnuckles » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:06 am

I'm a fan of the rubber fuel line To make the end fittings, I took nylon barbed fittings, with pipe tap threads, and ran a 1/2-20 die over them. The new threads fit fine, though I put one layer of teflon tape over them before screwing them in. No leaks.

For the boiling-fuel and vapor lock problem with metal lines, it ought to be easy to fabricate a sheet metal heat shield to tuck in there someplace, to insulate the line.
Jay Smith

1953 Cub, acquired fall 2013. Runs much better thanks to tuneup by Art Chester!
Next, replacement of old parts (radiator, seals, etc.) + painting.

Plus 3 JD garden tractors (425,318,140)
& two Buick Roadmaster station wagons

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Denny Clayton » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:09 am

Here is a How to from George Willer to make your own steel fuel line:

viewtopic.php?f=139&t=29825

You do not need a flaring tool for the gas line and if you have an old pulley or something similar you don't need a bending kit. All you need is a 5/16" steel brake and ferrules and you cut off the flares. Very simple project. Good Luck!
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”