This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

1954 Cub locked up

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75103

Re: 1954 Cub locked up

Postby jonboy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:40 pm

I don't know about all these home remedies for unsticking parts, but after 35 years in the muffler business and trying everything I could to break bolts loose, I found PB Blaster to be the only product that actually chased up the threads. Before that we used heat, but Blaster works relatively quick as a penetrant. It's a terrible lubricant, and possible a corrosive. You also don't want to spay it in your eyes, it burns worse that B-12 and doesn't go away as fast. Better than pepper spray.....

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

lombard
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lombard » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:04 pm

JONBOY---HAVE YOU TRIED KROIL??????

GOOD LUCK
LOMBBAD------lombard@sc.rr.com-------

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:47 am

I never tried Kroil, but I may have to try several things.....

I didn't look at this tractor very close because I bought it for scrap price, but I noticed that the head bolts were out, so I yanked the head off, which was loose, and it had a plastic bag under the head. Yes, that's ice in one of the cylinders.
Attachments
cub06.jpg
cub06.jpg (500.31 KiB) Viewed 271 times

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:51 am

It turned out to be a 1952 by the numbers. The block isn't cracked and the ears aren't broken, and the sheet metal is good. It has hydraulics that appear to work the rear, and then an arm that attaches to the front lift. I don't know if this is the way they came or not? There is no ridge on the top of the cylinder and the pistons appear to be domed, would they be aftermarket pistons? I'm wondering if this has been overhauled before......

lombard
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby lombard » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:12 am

JONBOY----I WOULD TRY SOME WHIP ON TOP OF PISTONS AND LET IT SET FOR 2 OR 3
WEEKS AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS-------MIGHT TAKE LONGER IN THE COLD-----
----CHECK HEAD AND SEE IF IT IS FOR DOMED PISTONS-------

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:50 am

Ouch. I would pull the engine and see what the bottom end looks like. Then decide what to do with it.

If the engine is as bad as it appears in the photo, and you can get the pistons and valves unstuck, It will requires extensive machine work and new parts.

You can usually find a good running engine to install in the tractor for much less money than it's going to take to rebuild this engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:48 pm

I haven't had time to dig around in the cylinders yet, but I'm not sure those are domes. They could just be rust formation from water dripping through the spark plug holes. All the domed pistons I've seen for cubs are domed on one side. I figure when I take the drain plug out of the oil pan it will be full of water. I'm thinking of draining the oil, cleaning the top of the pistons and then filling the whole thing full of diesel and let it set for a few days. If that doesn't unlock it, then I'll set it on fire......lol

I've got nothing to lose, but I'm too much of a perfectionist to buy a used motor. I'll bore it and do it right. Too bad you can't bore these for sleeves......

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:49 pm

Thanks for all the great advise!

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:30 pm

It was just as I thought. Those aren't domes but rust. I cleaned off the pistons and checked the crankcase for water and there was none. I poured the whole engine full of diesel till it was running off the top of the block and out of the tank where the radiator bolts. I'll let this set a few days and then go with stronger chemicals.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:46 pm

Jonboy, I know of several cases where guys have sleeved one or two cylinders. Don't know what the cost would be for all four.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:08 pm

I have sleaved many types of non sleaved engines to repair a crack or a blown out cylinder due to hard water. It usually cost 100 bucks per hole and more depending on size. The engine pictured will require boring to maximum to clean the cylinders up or sleaved. looks to me like the block will have to be decked as well. decking sometimes requires the pistons to be decked for clearence. Probabley will need new valve guides and valves and seats. If it were me I would throw it in the scrap pile.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:36 pm

jonboy wrote:I just apprehended a 1954 Cub that was running when parked. It's been stuck for one year after sitting for a couple of years. They tried lubricants and dragging it with no luck.
Apparently a bit of fabrication by the previous owner.

Not knowing what the remainder of the tractor looks like and other repairs needed, consider using this tractor as a parts tractor. You can purchase a Cub in good condition for what it will cost to rebuild the engine.
I have an excuse. CRS.

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Eugene wrote:
jonboy wrote:I just apprehended a 1954 Cub that was running when parked. It's been stuck for one year after sitting for a couple of years. They tried lubricants and dragging it with no luck.
Apparently a bit of fabrication by the previous owner.

Not knowing what the remainder of the tractor looks like and other repairs needed, consider using this tractor as a parts tractor. You can purchase a Cub in good condition for what it will cost to rebuild the engine.

Eugene, they no doubt tried to unlock it, and even removed the head, but then left the head loose with the plugs out. Fortunately, they dragged it in the field instead of on the road, so I'm hoping nothing is bent.....I have found some cubs in my area, but they are all over $2500 running with nothing more than new paint on them. I think I'd rather spend $2500 or more on rebuilding this one and knowing I've got a tractor that should last the rest of my life. I guess if I couldn't do all the work except the machine work, I'd give up now, but I have a friend that is a machinist. :D

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:10 pm

Bob McCarty wrote:Jonboy, I know of several cases where guys have sleeved one or two cylinders. Don't know what the cost would be for all four.

Bob

Bob, I'd read somewhere these could be bored .060, and I've always seen sleeved engines needing to be bored .120 to work with a sleeve. I just don't know how many hours these engines can run before rebuild is why I was thinking if someone made sleeves like other tractors have it would be good option. The machine work is no problem. Who knows, It may last longer than me with a good rebuild with quality parts.

jonboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jonboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:14 pm

lombard wrote:JONBOY---HAVE YOU TRIED KROIL??????

GOOD LUCK
LOMBBAD------lombard@sc.rr.com-------

Lombard, I've never had to unlock engines like this so I've never tried some of the chemicals you suggested. I've always had race cars that we took apart after about 60 nights of racing and they were clean. The only other exception is when they they exploded. :shock:

Return to “Farmall Cub”