This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Think they will freeze? Now they won't!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Think they will freeze? Now they won't!

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:51 pm

hoosier wrote: Wish there was something that would trigger whatever it is that would make me remember to fill them up again.

I usually tie a parts tag to the steering wheel with a reminder written on it.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

coppersmythe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '48 trimmed dash high crop cub , '78 3/4 cub , lo-boy/59 mower , '64 "galvanized" cub , cub-6 toolbar , sicklebar mowers , 54 blade , plow , mott mower , early belly mower . . international 1010 pickup with 345ci v-8 .

Postby coppersmythe » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:45 pm

hello all from the deep south . I just put antifreeze in mine . you guys are sending down 18 degrees tuesday morning :shock: . man, I changed the oil in my truck and the wifes car today in 63 degrees in a tee shirt . coppersmythe..........................................

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:15 pm

Barnyard wrote:
Tom, I saved a bucket full that tested at around 0º and put in the unheated barn. Tomorrows temps are supposed to be around -13º. I will check it after it has sat in that temp for several hours to see what we have.

Thanks Bill, I like a good science experiment. It will be good data for future subzero weather. We are really getting a bunch of snow in central Indiana! If the wind picks up we could have some memorable drifting.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:20 pm

Xperimental wrote:We are really getting a bunch of snow in central Indiana!

Keep it to the north of me. You and Ricky can have it all, I don't want anymore this year.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 pm

hoosier wrote:Nutz! I know the antifreeze in both my cubs will go to -20 but you all have brought out whatever it is that makes me doubt my self. Have drained them both. Wish there was something that would trigger whatever it is that would make me remember to fill them up again. Better safe than sorry.
Well since we scared you into draining them..........The thought of the engine seizing up next spring when you start to mow should scare you enough to remember to refill them :shock: OK, really; the coolant is something I check EVERY time before I start any of my Cubs. Oil level gets checked EVERY time as well. Gas gets turned on almost :lol: EVERY time. You'd think I would have learned to check the gas level EVERY time as well. I guess I just like lugging a five gallon can and/or driving backwards up the hill to the house. :roll:

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:03 pm

Barnyard wrote:
hoosier wrote: Wish there was something that would trigger whatever it is that would make me remember to fill them up again.

I usually tie a parts tag to the steering wheel with a reminder written on it.

I just leave the drain plug on the seat. If you are afraid the plug may get lost under all the other debris that accumulates on the seat, you could tie it to the steering wheel.

Scrivet wrote:OK, really; the coolant is something I check EVERY time before I start any of my Cubs. Oil level gets checked EVERY time as well. Gas gets turned on almost :lol: EVERY time.

Why do I think that all three get checked or don't get checked at the same time?

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:00 pm

John, your comment about wind chill brings to mind my question. Am I correct in that the wind chill really does not come into play with items such as when your radiator will freeze? If your coolant protects down to -10º, and the actual temperature is -5º, but with a wind chill factor of -20º, are you safe from freezing?
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:52 pm

thiggy wrote:John, your comment about wind chill brings to mind my question. Am I correct in that the wind chill really does not come into play with items such as when your radiator will freeze? If your coolant protects down to -10º, and the actual temperature is -5º, but with a wind chill factor of -20º, are you safe from freezing?
That is what the weather guessers say. Windchill is how the air feels on bare skin which also takes into consideration evaporation of moisture in the outer layers. When it comes to metal, or enclosed liquids, such as a radiator it is only the measured temperature that counts. I assume (bad thing, I know) That an open bucket of water would freeze sooner due to the cooling of evaporation, though the difference would probably be small.

Here is an article about wind chill on the NOAA web site.
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ddc/?n=windchill
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:01 am

To slush, or not to slush? Well, here are the unscientific results. The temperature outside was -8 at midnight, this morning at 8 am it was still -8º, too cold for me to want to go to the barn. At 10:30 it was 0º so I ventured out to the barn. The bucket of antifreeze that tested as protected to 0º was slush. I had a drain pan full I had drained in the fall sitting on a shelf that tested at +10º, it too was slush. If it had turned solid at -8º I doubt it would have thawed enough in 2 1/2 hours at 0º to turn to slush. Therefore it appears that 0º protection will likely turn to slush when exposed to -8º for about 8-10 hours. My conclusion, if I know it needs to be drained I will drain it. If I think about it at one o'clock in the morning I will worry about it, but not as much as I would worry if there was no antifreeze in it. My recommendation, drain it as soon as you know it is bad and not have to worry about it.

I will keep these buckets for now in case we get any temps this winter that may drop, say, into the -20's, but I am not looking forward to that happening. :shock:

Circle of Safety

gpcubboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62362
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall Cub "Virgil"
1939 Ford 9N
193 Cub Plow
189 Club Plows
1919 McCormick Deering M gas Engine
Numerous Y's, WI's B&S Engines

Postby gpcubboy » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:54 pm

I was reading this post late last night realized I hadn't tested coolant this fall in my 52 cub. I couldn't remember what it tested last year or what year for sure I last changed it. I didn't sleep well last night as all I could think was I was stupid and let grandpa's cub freeze. It got down to -16 hear last night I said a prayer to the good lord and said please don't let it freeze. I went out this morning to my tractor she'd and remembered i had a jug on shelf left from when i changed it that was half full. I checked it and no slush and wasn't frozen. Checked radiator too not frozen or slush. I thanked the good lord for answering my prayer. What a relief! It is suppose to be 40 this weekend you know what i will be doing. I am going to change it out to be sure and write down date i changed it. I hope everyone else cubs faired the weather as well without freezing.

Chris

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:58 pm

Maybe it's from growing up in the great white north but every vehicle I own has a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze installed and double checked. I never put straight water in a cooling system for any reason. Every gallon of antifreeze in my shop is either factory sealed (straight antifreeze) or a 50/50 mix that I have mixed. No opened container of antifreeze is ever left as straight antifreeze or a mixture different than 50/50. If it gets opened it is mixed to a 50/50 mixture. That just helps me sleep better at night.
Last edited by ricky racer on Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks for the experiment, Bill. It is good to know that there is a little margin of safety. After this cold spell, I will find some way to remove the drain plugs from the two Cubs or drain them some other way. It was about -13F here this morning.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Scrivet » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:56 pm

Remember it's antifreeze and coolant. WE EXPECT boiling results come next summer when it gets HOT to go with our slushies! :D :lol:

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:44 pm

Scrivet wrote:WE EXPECT boiling results come next summer when it gets HOT

If I start feeling that much heat, I'll think I died!!! :lol:

Circle of Safety

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:01 am

My thoughts if you’re interested….

In general pure anti-freeze will freeze at about -5/-7° F. Water is the catalyst that makes the anti-freeze work. A 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze will lower the freezing point to about -35° F and a 70/30 mix of antifreeze and water will lower the freezing point to about -67° F. Concentrations of above 70% anti-freeze and 30% water are not recommended because it will not lower the freezing point below the -67° mark. If temperatures go lower than -67° it is recommended to use a block or engine heater.(For Rudi)

Personally I used distilled water in my coolant mix, because of the potential electrolysis from the well water that I have.

When it’s hot, In the summer if you use your tractor under demanding conditions because of the cooling system the Cub has it would be better to have pure distilled water(no antifreeze) in the coolant system. Reason: Water conducts heat roughly 20% better than a 50/50 Ethylene Glycol coolant mixture, but Propylene Glycol coolant is a little better than Ethylene Glycol mix.

You hear a coolant system with a certain amount of Antifreeze mix will not boil over with a certain amount of pressure in the coolant system is correct. The fact is the coolant temperature is running above the boiling point and so is the engine. The idea of making a pressurized coolant system was to keep the coolant in the system when it boiledThis doesn’t pertain to a Cub because; of no pressurized coolant system. Even if I could pressurize the coolant system of a Cub, I don’t know if I would want to run a Cub engine that hot.

Return to “Farmall Cub”