This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

surging motor

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dockorea
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43160

surging motor

Postby dockorea » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:37 pm

Hey guys,
Once again i am hunting everyone expertise on cubs. My cub was surging at full throttle, after a while it would idle out , but then start surging again when put under a load. I adjust the governor linkage where it attaches to the carb, and it took out the surge but took away the ability to adjust idle thru the throttle lever. Any suggestions would be great and if it something that you may have a diagram to represent the adjustment would be great, if not I will try to dig thru my manuals. Sorry to be a beginner but I am trying to learn on the fly.
Thanks,
Larry 51' Farmall cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: surging motor

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Surging is usually an indication of low or reduced fuel flow - - - and or slight mismatch on governor linkage.

Having read the initial post several times, suggest putting the governor linkage to carburetor back to it's initial position. Then check the fuel flow through the carburetor, main jet for partial blockage, fuel level in carburetor bowl - - - basically make sure the carburetor is up to snuff.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:03 pm

Just a thought, but related to fuel is the gasket between the carb and the manifold. If it's not sealed well, the engine is sucking air in and causing the governor to adjust due to too lean fuel/air mixture.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Bezirk
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 22843
Tractors Owned: Farmall Cub 1949, Oliver OC3 crawler 1951, Ford 8 N 1948, Oliver 77 Row Crop 1953, JohnDeere, La, 1941, John Deere 4115/w loader, 2004, John Deere stationary power unit LUC, Farmall M, 1946, Oliver 77 Row crop w/ loader

Postby Bezirk » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:34 pm

To test the gasket leak , with the engine running , put the nozzle of a propane torch near the gasket surfaces and open the torch valve if you have an air leak the engine will change ie smooth out / rev slightly. This test will work around the intake manifold also.

Berlin
I started out with nothing and now I only have half of that left !

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522

Postby grumpy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Bezirk wrote:To test the gasket leak , with the engine running , put the nozzle of a propane torch near the gasket surfaces and open the torch valve if you have an air leak the engine will change ie smooth out / rev slightly. This test will work around the intake manifold also.

Berlin

PS Don't light the torch. :roll: :roll: Grump
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:41 pm

The torch test works better if you loosen and remove the fan belt from the crankshaft pulley so the air does not blow the propane away. Another possibility would be to cover the front of the radiator to reduce the air flow.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lee_Petrie
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 60436
Tractors Owned: 1957 Cub w/fast hitch restored
1948 Cub w/fast hitch (early style depth control) being restored

Postby Lee_Petrie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 pm

I had the same "surging problem" yersterday , +15 Deg.s , snowing and blowing snow , at the higher RPM's , I just figured that was the carb freezing up , with the moist, very cold air it was "ingesting ! A frozen carb would reduce the fuel supply when it was needed more , at the higher RPM's ! The "prop. air crafts" get into the same issues under cold moist conditions !
Just my thoughts, Lee Petrie, Joliet , IL - 9.6 Deg.s outside, right now in the Chicagoland area @ 3:30 PM Monday 1-6-14

Return to “Farmall Cub”