This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

So Much For Winter Time Fun.....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120
Circle of Safety: Y

So Much For Winter Time Fun.....

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:30 pm

Okay, I just came in from plowing for the last hour or so. Remember what I said yesterday about watching the guys in the trucks with the snow plows attached and thinking I was having more fun than them? I'd like to take that back. :lol: It was not fun out there today....

Man, is it cold out there. Ten Degrees below zero and 20 - 35 mph winds. I had a bunch of drifts that needed cleared so I fired up the Cub however it wasn't quite so easy this time. I turned on the gas, moved the throttle lever forward, closed the choke and pulled, pulled, and pulled the ignition switch to no avail. It was froze tight, a new experience, surprise #1. I tried to lay my hand on it for a few minutes to thaw it out with no luck. I had to bring out the MAPP gas torch to thaw it out.

Once the switch was in the on position the '53 fired right up. I let it warm up a bit before getting on to start plowing. Surprise #2, I depressed the clutch peddle but when I released it, it slowly returned to the engaged position. I pumped it a few times with the same results taking about 1-2 seconds to fully return. Anyway I had no troubles the rest of the time while I was plowing other than finding room to put all the snow.

When I was done plowing I had to again use the torch to shut the Cub off. Surprise #3. I parked it back in the barn but this time I put a heat lamp under it.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

torchred89
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20164
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall cub

Re: So Much For Winter Time Fun.....

Postby torchred89 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:57 pm

AND! That's why we moved from NW Michigan. :D

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Necessity, I guess, but there is NO way you would find me on top of a cub in this kind of weather! I guess it beats getting stuck in the house. It is amazing how these little tractors start right up in the cold, though!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:07 pm

I MIGHTconsider clearing the drive tomorrow. The drive is up to my knees and by comparison we're having a heat wave, only -4 here. :lol: Vern
Edit: My cub sits in the barn under a blanket and a light bulb keeping the chill off. It is steady smiling because the cadet will get the call to move snow and have to leave it's heated shelter. (It is in the corner of my woodshop which I keep at a minimum, of 45.)

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:00 pm

Ricky, that does sound brutal. Sorry all you guys up north have to face this bitter weather!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

outdoors4evr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48370
Tractors Owned: 184

Postby outdoors4evr » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:31 am

I have to agree with Ricky. This time it wasn't so much fun. It's been many years since I have had to move snow while below zero.
There seem to be a few days below zero each winter in Michigan, but rarely does that weather follow a good snowstorm.

The car wouldn't start, but the tractor fired right up. -10F inside the garage.
184 w/ Creeper & 3-Point
IH 3160a Mower
IH Model 15 Tiller
IH-54 Blade

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 am

outdoors4evr wrote:I have to agree with Ricky. This time it wasn't so much fun. It's been many years since I have had to move snow while below zero.
There seem to be a few days below zero each winter in Michigan, but rarely does that weather follow a good snowstorm.

The car wouldn't start, but the tractor fired right up. -10F inside the garage.

It was more the wind than the temperature that was the problem, at least for me.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:58 am

Yup, we have 10 inches of blown snow on the ground, some drifts a little over knee deep. Interesting getting out my road. High temp yesterday of 3 degrees with 20mph winds. Have to pick son up at airport today, if his flight ever leaves that is. High in the low 30s tomorrow, so I may try it then. If not, it will all be goen by May.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”