This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New member from Pennsylvania

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rustymich
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 17701

Re: New member from Pennsylvania

Postby rustymich » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:16 am

Looks good Im from williamsport,mines almost done

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby snoman7c » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:47 pm

Hope you post some pics! Did you do a total restoration? What you going to use it for? Did you by any chance go to the Cub Fest in Bloomsburg,Pa? I think I am going to check that out this year.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 am

Snowman. The DSCF is a great one. I am planning on attending this year, but I am dove-tailing it in with a work trip that I am planning so I am flying down. As to cubfests in general, they are usually not "shows" to speak of. Sometimes folks bring a "special cub" or two to show. (like Barnyard's Harley (6 cylinder) cub) Mostly it is a great place to work on or work with your tractor. Some folks have places to plow or disk. Some have places to try out a sickle mower, or cultivators, or even planters. Dale F has it nailed that it is a great time to learn about the workings of your cub and get some experts to help you "lay hands" on your cub to make it work better.

If you can't make it to DSCF, there are several others that happen that are in a reasonable driving distance. Barnyard has a fest in Cincinnati area, there is the "cub tug" that isn't too far away (another really good time), and then there is Cecil's fest up in Kinderhook, NY. Lots of great opportunities to meet and greet. Boss' fest in Virginia is a bit distant from the Pittsburgh area, but if you want to swap stuff and make cub-express transactions in addition to working on your tractor, this is the place to do it. (good folks there, too).

Additionally, I am thinking about having a mini-fest somewhere around the Pittsburgh area this year sometime. Just have to find a time that doesn't interfere with other fests that are nearby. I have some land that we could work around and am working on getting our shed-shop in condition to work on cubs as well, so this might be a more local option.

I guarantee you that ANY fest, small or large, that you can make it to will be a GREAT time and you will learn a lot. You'll also make some great new friends. Cub folks are the best!

Mike in Allison Park, PA
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:36 am

Hengy wrote:...... I am planning on attending this year, but I am dove-tailing it in with a work trip that I am planning so I am flying down. ...........
Since a Cub won't "fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you" I guess you'll have to check it? :D :lol: :roll:

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm

HAHA! Yea, I think that they will frown upon the weight restriction. (on ME as well as the Cub stuff)...Oh well!
Image Image

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby snoman7c » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

That sounds really neat! I like turning wrenches, but only when I know what I am doing! I learned the hard way a time or two, that if you aren't sure of what you are doing, ask or leave it alone.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:59 pm

Snoman, you come to a couple of CubFests and, under the guidance of some of the pros, you'll soon be sure of yourself enough to tackle many projects.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

wawcub47
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 41097

Postby wawcub47 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 pm

Snoman7c ,hello n welcome from Kentucky. Cub looks really nice. glad to have ya. wawcub47.

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby snoman7c » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:54 pm

My Cub is in pretty good mechanical shape except for a little grease leaking somewhere around the final drive, then I will probably put a new paint job on it this summer. I tried the carb cleaner around the carb gasket today. The engine did not pick up at all. It must be sealed good with the gasket that is in there. Makes me wonder WHY it is hard to start in the cold weather. Starts almost instantly in warmer weather! I currently am running Autolite 3116's in it. I used to run Autolite 386's, The mid range plug made it better ,but am concerned on using too hot of a plug since it may get worked hard when we get the normal snow that we get here. Any comments or constructive criticism is definately welcome!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:48 am

When you say hard starting, do you mean that it kicks but won't stay running or do you mean that it won't even kick at all?

There was a thread earlier, Snowman that members were talking about hard starting in cold weather, and one item that they discussed was the voltage drop from a cold battery making for a weak spark to get the tractor started. Do you have a hand crank? If you are confident about the timing on the distributor, you might try hand cranking it to see if you get better action that way.

How old is the battery and have you had it on a charger?
Image Image

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby snoman7c » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:57 am

The motor spins over well, but won't start. After several tries, it starts, and runs rough for about a minute then purrs like a kitten. In the summer , I don't think I have the starting rod pulled half way out and it is already running!

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:31 am

That is somewhat typical of winter starting. Do you use the choke during the winter?
Image Image

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:40 am

Also is the choke butterfly in the correct position and choke lever not slipping on shaft.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby snoman7c » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:23 am

I always pull the choke all the way out on a cold motor. When I disconnected the rubber hose from the air cleaner right at the carb, the butterfly was compleatly closed. I put a little pressure on it to see if it was slipping. It didn't budge.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:27 am

You might play around with the choke a little. I have a couple of Cubs that want full choke until started, and a couple that only want half choke. If it won't start after a couple of spins with full choke, try it with either half or no choke and see if that helps. You'll find that your Cub has it's own personality and will be different in starting than other Cubs.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Return to “Farmall Cub”