This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Late Cub Battery Size and Terminal Locatiions?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Re: Late Cub Battery Size and Terminal Locatiions?

Postby Scrivet » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Brandon Webb wrote:What's weird is the late cubs ground straps mount to battery box bolts, but there is still a hole for the earlier style ground strap to bolt to the box itself.
A formerly used, but now not needed hole left in the battery box for the last few years of production is weird? :shock: Have you ever looked under your left foot while driving? They never got rid of those two holes in THIRTY PLUS YEARS! :D :lol:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:39 pm

Old habits are hard to break, plus it makes the boxes backwards compatable.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:03 pm

Guess the extra hole makes a good vent.

Worksmart
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: '49 Farmall Cub
'64 Int'l Cub
'66 Int'l Cub
'76 Int'l Cub
'53 Farmall Super A
'03 Kubota BX22
‘19 Kubota L6060

Postby Worksmart » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:03 pm

Super A wrote:
Bus Driver wrote:Braided ground straps with both ends having bolt holes are available. While I have not yet done it, using one of those on the exterior of the box from the bolt for the cable inside to a bolt on the transmission would be good, technically speaking. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Where do you get them & what sizes are available? I need something like that for my Super A's. The stock configuration is a short ground cable that bolts inside the battery box; I have never had much faith in that setup. I want to ground down on the frame somewhere, while trying to hide my modification!

Al

Two types available here, Al. Battery cable or bonding strap type.

http://brillman.com/store/q-wire-cable.html

Chuck
Worksmart not hard!!

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:35 pm

A braided strap is factory on your long stripe. Not sure when it changed, but it is the ideal way to ground the battery and works to keep the battery in place too (in the front).

You can get them at NAPA, but my 77 has an IH part number on it. 356092R91?

Lately I have taken to a rubberized paint for the inside of the battery box. When I paint it I put a big round washer in the hole that will be for the ground strap and use an unpainted bolt for that one. Can't hurt to run a tap through the holes too. It is essential to have a good ground.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi,
Here's a pic Ricky, and anyone else that wants to see the 6 volt battery original cables, at the left lower part of the page. It's from the owner's manual. Click on the pic makes it bigger. :)

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... age-26.jpg
Last edited by Glen on Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:58 pm

Got it together tonight, the 26 R batteries had the positive on the left side, I got a plain 26 with the positive on the right worked good. Still nervous about how close the cable is to touching the front of the battery box so I scotched it with a piece of rubber in the front and up over the top about 2 inches. My 77 I fixed tonight had a braded cable to the front that was destroyed I robbed the 78 of its rubber type that was mounted to the rear. I did notice the battery box lid has a tab that mounts in front of the battery box front, unlike the older style battery boxes.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:40 am

My need is education! With the 6 volt positive-ground system of my 1955 Farmall Cub, must I remove the battery connectors when I want to charge the battery? I always do, just to make sure that the reverse polarity of the Cub's electrical system doesn't conflict (i.e., sparks flying, starter motors and generators burnt out) with the charger which I use with the + going to the battery +, - to - on battery.

I've never attempted to start the Cub with the charger on, but wouldn't that just be a disaster?

As is, I have a quick disconnect on one side of the battery and I pry off the other one.

Would someone tell me I'm right or wrong...and why?

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

Dick, no need to remove the cables to charge the battery. Depending on the clamps it is often easier to connect the charger with the cables off. Your call. Not a problem to start the tractor with the charger attached. Many chargers have a booster setting to do just that.
'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:12 pm

Positive is always positive, negative is always negative. The Cub is it's own little world (planet Cub) as far as electricity goes. You get to pick which way "the world (planet Cub) spins" by deciding which end of the battery gets grounded. On a vehicle "ground" doesn't mean the same thing as it does in your house. Positive ground and negative ground are functionally equal. The electrons just flow in different directions. Think of in the U.S. we drive on the right side of the road. The British drive on the left side of the road. We both get to where we are going with out difficulty. Or SAE and Metric wrenches, or phillips and flat screwdrivers............

I think you are equating touching a Positive terminal to ground, on say your car with a negative ground system and getting sparks; to there being some disaster if you look wrong at your Cub just because it's positive ground.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:14 pm

I was able to finally get Bigdog's cable routing post into the "How To" forum so it is easier for some to find. viewtopic.php?f=140&t=82170

Thanks to Arthur Luke and Big Hoss for finding it for me on the manual server.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm

Starting with the charger pluged in might overload it if not made to be used that way. Just unplug and crank away. If no start, plug back up.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Glen
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1956 Farmall Cub with Fast Hitch, F-11 plow, Disc, Cultivator, Cub-22 mower

Postby Glen » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Hi,
Dick, here is a pic of the starter post that you asked about, with the battery cable, it's at the nut on top of the starter. Hope it's ok to put it on this post. :)
Attachments
Starter.jpg
Starter.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 199 times

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:11 am

Thanks, Glen, the idea being that Glen doesn't even take the lid off his battery box, just clamps the battery charger's "-" to the starter post, and the charger's "+" to a good ground wherever, and it charges his battery. Nice, for me, to not even have to mess with the battery. And I'd take the charger clamps off before starting. Thanks, all.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:17 am

Scrivet wrote:Positive is always positive, negative is always negative. The Cub is it's own little world (planet Cub) as far as electricity goes. You get to pick which way "the world (planet Cub) spins" by deciding which end of the battery gets grounded. On a vehicle "ground" doesn't mean the same thing as it does in your house. Positive ground and negative ground are functionally equal. The electrons just flow in different directions. Think of in the U.S. we drive on the right side of the road. The British drive on the left side of the road. We both get to where we are going with out difficulty. Or SAE and Metric wrenches, or phillips and flat screwdrivers............

I think you are equating touching a Positive terminal to ground, on say your car with a negative ground system and getting sparks; to there being some disaster if you look wrong at your Cub just because it's positive ground.

Thanks for the tour of auto/tractor electrics, Scrivet. It reminds me of the time when I bought a Daihatsu jeep, extremely used, in the south Pacific on an island formerly a British claimed colony. The guy selling it to me kept correcting my driving as I tested it, gave me a speech about how to remember which side of the road was mine, etc. When I drove off, having been so educated, I saw that he was waving at me to get over in the correct lane -- I'd automatically reverted to USA driving. It did take constant correction, for a week, from an often frightened wife, before a got the hang of it.. Let's hope I'm a bit quicker on the Cub electrics!

Return to “Farmall Cub”