This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Late Cub Battery Size and Terminal Locatiions?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Late Cub Battery Size and Terminal Locatiions?

Postby Bill Hudson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:03 am

To really simplify charging/jumping a battery with out removing the battery box cover or buggering up the threads on the switch post. try this http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16548. Cheap, simple, effective -- works like a charm for me. One of the late George Willer's elegant solutions to common problems.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Gary Dotson
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43358
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub Diesel (Cubota)
53 Cockshutt 20 restored (Shooter)
52 Cockshutt 20 unrestored
47 Leader "B" (Herckie)
49 Leader "D" (Princess)
49 Leader "D" very rough
48 Leader "D" unrestored
Kubota B6200E
Kubota B6200HST
Kubota B8200HST-D

Postby Gary Dotson » Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:19 am

Right you are, Bill! I have those copper tabs on most of my tractors, it's really convenient for connecting jumpers or a charger. If you have spare cable lugs laying around, they also work great. I never pitch an old cable without whacking the lug end off of it.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:18 am

Glen wrote:Hi,
Dick, here is a pic of the starter post that you asked about, with the battery cable, it's at the nut on top of the starter. Hope it's ok to put it on this post. :)

Bringing this back around to the 12-volt tractors, note that the post on the starter is a valid place to connect a charger only on the 6-volt starters. The 12-volt Cubs use a starter switch that is not directly on the starter. The lug end of the battery cable is on the switch. The switch is behind the dash if you have a push button start or under the platform if you have a key start, neither convenient to reach. On my 12-volt Cubs, I have installed plug-in pigtails that came with the battery maintainers. I connected the hot side to an ammeter terminal and the other end to a nearby ground. The plug tucks under the gas tank when using the tractor.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:19 pm

Jim Becker wrote:..........The 12-volt Cubs use a starter switch that is not directly on the starter. .................
To clarify the clarification :roll: ; as long as it's ORIGINALLY a 12V tractor. A 12V conversion to an originally 6V tractor most likely will still have the 6V starter (which works fine at 12V) and the switch on the starter.

DickB
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1955 Cub Fast Hitch
sickle bar
land plow
harrows
snow plow
manure spreader
hayrake, rope pull
variety of cultivators
Wagner WM-1 bucket loader
rear carrier -- homemade

Postby DickB » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:13 am

Bill Hudson wrote:To really simplify charging/jumping a battery with out removing the battery box cover or buggering up the threads on the switch post. try this http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=16548. Cheap, simple, effective -- works like a charm for me. One of the late George Willer's elegant solutions to common problems.

Bill

HEY! Great idea! Thanks, and a tip of the hat to you, Bill. A bow to George. I like the near location of the two copper pipes, properly wacked and attached.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:56 am

Scrivet wrote:
Jim Becker wrote:..........The 12-volt Cubs use a starter switch that is not directly on the starter. .................
To clarify the clarification :roll: ; as long as it's ORIGINALLY a 12V tractor. A 12V conversion to an originally 6V tractor most likely will still have the 6V starter (which works fine at 12V) and the switch on the starter.

Yeah, that is why my first sentence included:
Jim Becker wrote:note that the post on the starter is a valid place to connect a charger only on the 6-volt starters.

Usability of the starter post for connecting a charger is a function of the starter/switch design not the number of volts that are being applied. But now I am just adding redundancy to your clarification. To further clarify what I said, I should address the question of which ammeter lug to use. I connected mine to the terminal on the "battery" side of the ammeter so the charger isn't running through the ammeter. If you connect to the other side, the ammeter will register whatever the actual charge rate is. It should charge the battery either way. You could also do it by connecting to the BAT terminal of the voltage regulator. Whether that is convenient depends on which way the regulator was bolted on. The wire already on the regulator BAT terminal should be connected to the ammeter and the charging current will register on the ammeter. Note that all these connections on the ammeter or voltage regulator are for a battery charger only and will be of no use for jump starting or booster starting with a heavy duty charger.

I hope this cleared everything up. :?

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:30 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Scrivet wrote:

Jim Becker wrote:note that the post on the starter is a valid place to connect a charger only on the 6-volt starters.
Jim, not everyone has a PhD in Cubs and can automatically decipher, or even realize, that they have a 6V starter when they are looking at a 12V battery. (How many 12V conversion threads have some form of "how do I change my starter to 12V?") I made my comment for the benefit of the novice Cubber reading this thread now or in the future who sees a 12V battery, thinks they have a 12V Cub, and that this great idea of the copper tabs wouldn't apply to them. My comment added to yours, would I hope, give anyone in the 12V conversion crowd enough information to determine whether it's possible to use the tabs instead of just passing on the idea because they have a "12V Cub".

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:08 pm

Jim Becker wrote:
Scrivet wrote:

Scrivet wrote:. . . decipher, or even realize, that they have a 6V starter when they are looking at a 12V battery.

As far as that goes, someone could put a threaded stud into a 6-volt starter to relocate the switch (it's been done). So let me clarify it a little more by pointing out that you can connect a charger at the starter if and only if the switch (the thing with a lever) is mounted directly on the starter. Oh wait, that is where I started. :?

Return to “Farmall Cub”