This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cultivator question- want to convert to hydraulic

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
eelderbr
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53517

Cultivator question- want to convert to hydraulic

Postby eelderbr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:04 am

Looking for some help...

I attached the universal mounting frame and rear cultivator on my Cub today. Went smoothly until I ran into a couple problems...

As a heads up, I'm just learning the terms, so I may make mistakes with the language.

I realized I don't have the front rockshaft (front cultivator mounting bracket) to raise and lower the cultivator. I'm also up against a wall because the tractor has a home-installed hydraulic system rather than the original farmall hydraulics, so I don't know how to set it up so that the hydraulics attach to the front rockshaft. It seems like there are two completely different front rockshafts depending on if it's for a manual lift or hydraulic lift.

Here are some photos of my tractor, which might make it easier to address my questions.

http://elderberryhillfarm.com/Cub_Cultivator.html

My question is: can I use the homemade and home installed hydraulic system on my tractor to raise and lower the front and back cultivators? If so, which front rockshaft should I buy? And then, any ideas how can I set it up so that the hydraulics on the tractor so they function as desired?

Thanks,
Eric

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Re: Cultivator question- want to convert to hydraulic

Postby tmays » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:45 am

Is the hydraulic unit in the last pic yours? I'd replace the hydraulics on the tractor with the proper unit.
Thomas

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:05 am

Where are the control(s) for the hydraulic unit? Where is the cylinder? Where does the metal line coming out the top of the reservoir go to?

It appears to me that the pressure side of the pump loops under the tractor, through the filter and back into the reservoir.

Without seeing and knowing more information on the current hydraulic system - - agree with tmays - cheaper and easier to install the correct hydraulic unit.

Currently installed hydraulic unit would be the start of a decent log splitter.
I have an excuse. CRS.

eelderbr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eelderbr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:13 am

To tmays- The hydraulic unit in the last Photo is NOT mine. I put it on there because I meant to ask if that was the unit I would need to purchase?

As far as I can tell the current hydraulic system doesn't have any controls or cylinder at this point. I think the metal line out the top is sort of an overflow output (it doesn't seem to lead anywhere).

Any ideas where I can find the correct hydraulic unit and what I should expect to pay?

Thanks,
Eric

eelderbr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eelderbr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:22 am

Is this the entire hydraulic unit?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Antiqu ... 5403a206a7

Also, will I be able to set this up so that the front and rear cultivators are both controlled with the hydraulics? Can they be controlled independently so that just one or the other can be lowered?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:37 am

Not a complete hydraulic unit. You will need the pump, lines, controls, rock shaft, etc.. - - and that is providing the e-bay block is still in working condition.

My suggestion. Check with JP Tractor Salvage, bottom of page and also post in "The Vine" for a complete unit. This way you can get a complete working unit.

Another suggestion is to purchase a parts tractor with complete hydraulic unit and rock shaft.

I would remove the current hydraulic unit, as it is, it's useless. However, you should have some great parts for your next hydraulic project. The hydraulic pump, currently installed, appears to have been made to mount to a single cylinder engine.

Edit: It might be at the break even point - just buy a working Cub with hydraulics - vs. purchasing all the touch control/hydraulic parts.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:47 am

Here is a page on TM Tractor Parts that has pictures of a complete system.
http://www.tm-tractor.com/ghy/hydsys1_001.htm

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:49 am

eelderbr wrote:Also, will I be able to set this up so that the front and rear cultivators are both controlled with the hydraulics?

Yes, there is a rod that goes from the TC unit to a rear rockshaft that will operate the front and rear at the same time.

eelderbr wrote:Can they be controlled independently so that just one or the other can be lowered?

The only way to operate them independently would be to put a manual lift on the back and use the hydraulic for the front.

Keep in mind, if your Cub does not currently have a rear rockshaft, you will need that and a rod to connect it to the front. To add those pieces and what Jim linked to you will probably spend $400 to $500. I would go the route Eugene said. Find another Cub with all that on it, either as a donor or to use as a second Cub.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

eelderbr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eelderbr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 am

Thanks- this is lots of helpful information.

The TM page says: "Touch control system (rockshaft with out helper spring arm)"

What is the difference between getting the rockshaft "without" helper spring arm and rockshaft with a helper spring arm? Recommendations?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 am

eelderbr wrote:What is the difference between getting the rockshaft "without" helper spring arm and rockshaft with a helper spring arm? Recommendations?

Fast hitches had an optional helper spring arm that attached to the front rockshaft of the TC unit. The TC unit for those had an extra ear welded to it. I'd say it is safe to say you don't have a fast hitch so you can use either TC unit.

Rockshaft w/out helper spring arm

Rockshaft with helper spring arm. Notice the extra ear on the left side.
Photos from TM Tractor
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:33 am

Barnyard wrote:[.....
The only way to operate them independently would be to put a manual lift on the back and use the hydraulic for the front..........
Or if you wanted to get really creative, put an original type touch control on it, then add the bypass block and control valve that is used with the power angle snow blade conversions or loader additions, along with a cylinder to lift the rear separately.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:04 am

Barnyard wrote:
eelderbr wrote:Also, will I be able to set this up so that the front and rear cultivators are both controlled with the hydraulics?

Yes, there is a rod that goes from the TC unit to a rear rockshaft that will operate the front and rear at the same time.

eelderbr wrote:Can they be controlled independently so that just one or the other can be lowered?

The only way to operate them independently would be to put a manual lift on the back and use the hydraulic for the front.

Keep in mind, if your Cub does not currently have a rear rockshaft, you will need that and a rod to connect it to the front. To add those pieces and what Jim linked to you will probably spend $400 to $500. I would go the route Eugene said. Find another Cub with all that on it, either as a donor or to use as a second Cub.

You have the rod, it shows on the right side of your first picture. You didn't post a picture of the back of your tractor, so we don't know what the other end of the rod is hooked to. You may have the rockshaft, or you may have some other creation of the previous owner.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:25 am

Jim's post just got me to wondering, If that front manual rockshaft that is pictured came off this Cub then the rod that is seen (and I missed) may well be going to a manual lever.

Circle of Safety

eelderbr
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby eelderbr » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:48 am

Sorry- the photo of the front manual rockshaft is NOT from my tractor (I got it from the internet to use to ask questions). My tractor has no front rockshaft at all and no manual lever. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm hoping I have the correct rear rockshaft already (are there different kinds for hydraulic vs. manual?)

I added a photo of the rear with a closeup of the rockshaft I installed: http://elderberryhillfarm.com/Cub_Cultivator.html

Someone on the vine is parting a few cubs and offered to sell a complete hydraulic system for $200 + shipping. Seems like a good deal- any specific questions I should ask before buying it?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:01 pm

eelderbr wrote:I added a photo of the rear with a closeup of the rockshaft I installed: http://elderberryhillfarm.com/Cub_Cultivator.html

I couldn't find the pic.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”