This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power Angle Plow Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 54947

Re: Power Angle Plow Question

Postby TCP » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:21 pm

Thanks Todd!

Here's a better view of the front mount with the Category 1 lift arm ball socket. My welds are sloppy, I am a little out of practice... and gas. The bottle ran out and I had to finish with straight argon.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

twotone
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15132
Tractors Owned: 53 F Cub
73 F Cub
53 Super A With Snow/Grader Blade
193 Plow With Colter And Jointer
144 Cultivators
22 Mower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby twotone » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:39 pm

I wish my welds were that sloppy.
Know Your Cub, And Your Cub Will Know You.

Tom

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:08 pm

twotone wrote:I wish my welds were that sloppy.

I'm still wishing that I'd thought of the swivel joints..... :roll:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:30 am

ricky racer wrote:
twotone wrote:I wish my welds were that sloppy.

I'm still wishing that I'd thought of the swivel joints..... :roll:

You sort of did when you said not to make the cylinder pivots too tight. That's the beauty of this site though - the next person who does one if these power angle projects is probably going to think of something else that will be even better, and they'll hopefully share it here!

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:14 am

All finished, and works pretty good. It's not the prettiest install, I had to make do with what was available locally, so it's not as clean as I would like. There's still 3/4" of ice on the driveway so I splurged on a set of chains. I never needed them before, but filled tires or not it won't plow snow off ice without chains.

And lesson learned: do the exhaust mods last. I'll be plowing tomorrow while running a straight pipe. The old cub sounds pretty badass for such a tiny little tractor when unmuffled!

I put the quick disconnects in so that when I remove the 54L I can connect the two cylinder hoses together to keep the couplings from getting banged up, and connect the valve A & B ports to prevent deadheading if I hit the valve lever with the plow disconnected.

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 pm

I'm really wishing that I'd put a 3 spool valve on there now. It was a challenge running hoses around the fast hitch arms. I might convert the fast hitch to a separate cylinder so I can run the fast hitch independently of the front blade, because the next thing I want to build is a hauler. It would be nice to have both lift & tilt capabilities for that. The fast hitch arm from Agri-Supply was delivered yesterday. :D

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:14 pm

While the tire was out being refitted for chains, it was good time to finish re-bending the exhaust. This project would have been a LOT easier if I'd done the work with the tire off.

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:27 pm

Quick n' dirty hydraulic hose mount. I'll be re-doing this when I have a little more time but it will do for now:

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:20 am

Uh oh - looks like I broke something. I think the cub has met its match trying to push back the 2' high drifts across the driveway.

The weld broke on one end of the cross member, and with the load from the hydraulic cylinder there now it twisted like a pretzel. Tonight I cut everything apart - in some cases literally as I had to torch a few of the bolts/nuts off - and welded in a new cross member. OK the piece I put in is 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 1/4" angle, and the original part thickness was 5/16.

Repairs to the frame are done, and the cylinder mount has been welded in:

I've got a few parts to pick up tomorrow that I'll need to start putting the plow back together, but it's clear there needs to be some more support work added. See those gold lines? I'll be welding in some supporting framing tomorrow and hopefully wrap this up. Just in time to plow more snow!!!!

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:19 am

When I made my power angle I braced that area because it seemed to be pretty flimsy. This was my bracing.

1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:05 am

Nice work Ricky!

So I pulled the entire plow apart, most everything was worn out & rattlin'. The blade pivot was worn out to almost 1", so I drilled it the rest of the way and welded in a cat 1 and cat 0 bushing.

Here it is reassembled with the bracing in place. I cut a couple of pieces from the bent cross member that I replaced.

And here it is re-installed on the tractor:

Except for the blade pivot bolts, this thing is tight and works smooth. I didn't do the blade pivot bolts but will have to do something about them another time. I might do something similar to what Ricky did and convert it to a full time snow plow, seeing as I can't use it as a grader with the Lo-Boy anyway.

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

Postby snoman7c » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:01 pm

Great thinking TCP ! I have the same situation on my snowplow. Was going to weld a plug in the hole, then redrill it out. I like your idea alot better! This will be alot easier fix! Thanks for the great idea. I copied your idea also for mounts for the hydraulic cylinder on my power angle project. I liked the way it gives it a little "give" as ricky racer suggested that it should have.

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks! One thing I noticed is that if you are shoving a big pile of snow and the blade rides up the front of the pile, there really is no limit on the travel until the hydraulic cylinder and/or blade arms hit something. The hydraulic cylinder will push up into the steering arm. In my case, the hydraulic hose end hit the axle tube and the hose broke right at the crimp. A replacement hose is only $10 but still... This would be a good argument for mounting the rear cylinder clevis under the frame, instead of on top like I did.

welderrx
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub Fast Hitch 68 Lo-Boy 66 Cub Cadet 125 100 Manure Spreader Wagner Loader

Postby welderrx » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:34 am

With a tie rod cylinder like that you could always turn the base yoke a quarter turn and have the fittings on the side, But a beautiful job I want to get my plow on for next year, although its so mangled I might be better off with another one its fixable but time is the issue.T.J.
Blue Mountain Antique Gas and Steam Engine Association

TCP
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TCP » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:00 pm

welderrx wrote:With a tie rod cylinder like that you could always turn the base yoke a quarter turn and have the fittings on the side, But a beautiful job I want to get my plow on for next year, although its so mangled I might be better off with another one its fixable but time is the issue.T.J.

Thanks! The body of the cylinder hits the steering tie rod too, I was thinking putting some kind of up-travel stop would be a good idea. Time is always an issue! :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”