This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should I install new valves?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23005

Should I install new valves?

Postby Virginia Joe » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:47 pm

Hello Team,

A friend asked me to help him install new valves in his cub engine. He claimed it was smoking and since, after taking off the head, he felt a little slop when he wiggled the valve, he order a complete valve kit. I don’t think I have the tools to replace the valve guides so I have a dilemma. Do I install the new valves into the old guides and lap the valves as best I can or should I use the old valves, since they don’t look bad and lap them good.

I’m concerned that I’m not going to be able to lap the new valves into the existing block and we don’t have plans on taking it to the machine shop. I do plan on installing new rings since the measurements and condition of the piston and bore seem fine.

Any advice would be appreciated.
:mrgreen:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Should I install new valves?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:36 pm

I have never changed them, but I do not think it needs any specialty tools to do a valve job, HOWEVER, this is a flat head, so worn guides have very little to do with smoking or oil consumption.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

havoc1482
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01085
eBay ID: havoc1482
Tractors Owned: _______ 1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: @havoc1482

Postby havoc1482 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:53 pm

isnt smoking typically a sign of bad piston rings? Oil getting past them and burning?

You're gonna need a valve spring compressor, but thats all I know.
Mike

I bleed Black & Gold

IH Collectors Club New England (Chapter 18)

Western Mass. (The 413)

thiggy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35216
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub
1949 Cub
2011 JD X320

Postby thiggy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:50 am

"this is a flat head, so worn guides have very little to do with smoking or oil consumption." John, I had not known that fact. However now that I see it, it is apparent why that is so. Thanks
Since retirement, the things I miss most are the holidays!

Clark Thompson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 36310
Tractors Owned: 1975 IH cub,1948 farmall cub,1979 international 3200 skid steer and a 1974 John deere 350B dozer.

Postby Clark Thompson » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 am

to replace the guides you have to remove the engine and remove the cam shaft. The guides need to be pressed out from the top. with the cam in place it doesnt allow room to get the guides out. worn guides will causes excessive wear on the seats and valve face. I have yet in 40 years seen a valve out of a cub not need to be faced on a valve machine. If the guides are excessivly worn it can contribute to oil burning in a small way.
Collector of Farmall cubs and cub cadets.Injoy helping people keep their cubs running. Years of experipnce.

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Virginia Joe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for the advice and it’s good to know the valve guides are not likely the cause of the engine smoking.

My dilemma is, since I’m not grinding the valve seats: do I use the old valves, which appear okay or install the new valves. I’m afraid the new valves and worn seats will not match as well as the old valves and therefore I’d be better off using the old valves. In either case i plan to lap the valves.

It would be interesting to know where I could buy a valve seat grinding tool that would allow me to grind the block in my garage. I thought I saw one once that used a pilot stem, which went into the valve guides and then allowed you to drop a sanding tool over the valve seats. Does anyone know where I can get one of those?

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:04 am

Do a search for Neway valve seat cutter. Easy to use.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Valve seat cutter/grinder. They are portable. Try one of the small engine shops and see if the mechanic will stop by after work to touch up your valve seats.

Actually, I would try lapping the valves and seats first to see what happens.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tractorboy3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20707
Tractors Owned: ........
1950 H
1952 Super C
1954 Cub
1957 Cub
1958 Cub
1995 Cub Cadet 1440

Postby Tractorboy3 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:25 pm

I pulled my guides out from the top, without removing cam shaft. Used a bolt, and assorted washers...they came rite out...then I put the new guides in the freezer overnight, warmed the block...and the new ones went in easily...
'50 H, '52 Super C, '54 Cub, '57 Cub, '58 Cub, '95 Cub Cadet 1440

ScottyD'sdad
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02769
Tractors Owned: 6"F" cubs
5 lo-boys
1 154
1 184
1 IH444
1 Oliver OC3 crawler
1 AC D10
1 IH 100 manure spreader
1 IH model B corn grinder
3 power units
cub demonstrator

Postby ScottyD'sdad » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:57 pm

Time to check pistons, rings, and bore, for the cause of the oil burning. It likely isn't valves.
Ed
Member of Chapter 18, and National
Circle of Safety

Virginia Joe
10+ Years
10+ Years

Installing Valve Guides

Postby Virginia Joe » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks for all the great advice. I did test fit the new valve into the new valve guide and there is a noticeable difference regarding play in the old ones compared to the new ones. Since I have the new valve guides in hand, I think I’m going to try and remove the old guides with a nut and bolt described above. That is:

Place the head of the bolt (with washers enough to cover the valve opening on the flat head) down the value guide from the top. Place the nut onto the bolt under the valve guide and turn the nut and hopefully it will force the guild upwards. What do you think?

My next question is what kind of jig do I need to make to make sure the valve guide is replaced to the proper depth?

Thanks again, I really enjoy messing with these old engine. :D

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:50 pm

I used a 6" long metal ruler marked off in 64th of an inch increments and a sliding "T" head. This was on a 50 chev 6 cylinder engine.

Measure the height of the installed valve guides and install the new guides to the same height.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Tractorboy3
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20707
Tractors Owned: ........
1950 H
1952 Super C
1954 Cub
1957 Cub
1958 Cub
1995 Cub Cadet 1440

Re: Installing Valve Guides

Postby Tractorboy3 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:51 am

Virginia Joe wrote:Thanks for all the great advice. I did test fit the new valve into the new valve guide and there is a noticeable difference regarding play in the old ones compared to the new ones. Since I have the new valve guides in hand, I think I’m going to try and remove the old guides with a nut and bolt described above. That is:

Place the head of the bolt (with washers enough to cover the valve opening on the flat head) down the value guide from the top. Place the nut onto the bolt under the valve guide and turn the nut and hopefully it will force the guild upwards. What do you think?

My next question is what kind of jig do I need to make to make sure the valve guide is replaced to the proper depth?

Yes that will work..if I remember correctly..once the nut on the bottom reaches the block, you will need to remove the nut and add some spacers that are smaller in diameter than the guide to finish pulling it all the way out...Warming the block and Putting the new guides in the freezer overnight worked like a charm when re-installing..take them out of the freezer one at a time when installing...I used an old guide and bolt as an alignment tool to gently drive them back in...they should go in real easy to the depth you measured on the originally installed guides....Tom
'50 H, '52 Super C, '54 Cub, '57 Cub, '58 Cub, '95 Cub Cadet 1440

clodhopper
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27526
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub Demo
1978 Cub Cadet 1650
cub 193 plow
cub 174 planter
cub sidedresser
cub 144 cultivator
cadet 50C deck

Re: Installing Valve Guides

Postby clodhopper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:56 am

Tractorboy3 wrote:
Virginia Joe wrote:Thanks for all the great advice. I did test fit the new valve into the new valve guide and there is a noticeable difference regarding play in the old ones compared to the new ones. Since I have the new valve guides in hand, I think I’m going to try and remove the old guides with a nut and bolt described above. That is:

Yes that will work..if I remember correctly..once the nut on the bottom reaches the block, you will need to remove the nut and add some spacers that are smaller in diameter than the guide to finish pulling it all the way out...Warming the block and Putting the new guides in the freezer overnight worked like a charm when re-installing..take them out of the freezer one at a time when installing...I used an old guide and bolt as an alignment tool to gently drive them back in...they should go in real easy to the depth you measured on the originally installed guides....Tom

Just finished removing all of my old valve guides. Used a 5/16-24 x 4 inch grade 8 bolt, fender washers stacked on top of block. Pulled the guides up to where the nut was close to the underside of the block. Made a spacer by using a 1/4 inch pipe nipple drilled out to fit the bolt, and about 3/4 of an inch long. Buy one long enough you can cut the threaded portions off. Remove enough washers on top till the spacer will fit on the bolt and allow the nut a full thread and keep turning. Had all mine out in a couple of hours.

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:03 pm

I use a 5 lb slap hammer with a bolt on the end and nut, pulls all the guides out in 10 minutes
Tim

Return to “Farmall Cub”