This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

problem with shifter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

problem with shifter

Postby ad356 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:28 pm

well i have a problem. i went to plow my driveway and the entire shifter handle assembly came off in my hand. how do i fix this. tractor is stuck in reverse, at least i got it back in the garage. i didnt have any broken pieces, that i can see but im going to have to remove the shifter assembly and repair. i have no idea what retains this assembly. i do have several IH cub cadet transaxles laying around for parts as i know they share allot of similar parts. i guess the constant back and forth plowing the driveway takes its toll on this assembly doesn't it?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: problem with shifter

Postby tst » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:52 pm

just a problem with the top, pull the cover off, just make sure none of the cover parts fell in the trans, if you look in the how to section it is layed out how to fix shifter, check your forks for cracks and loose bolts also while its off
good luck tim

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:53 pm

There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

Postby snoman7c » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:32 pm

How ironic is this? I just had the exact same thing happen to me! Shifter comes apart easy. I saw that my shifter was broke before and welded. Since it would take a week to order one, and I have 2 driveways full of SNOW, I went to the local I-H Dealer to get one. They didn't have one in stock :( Went home and figured that I would reweld the one I got. I spent about an hour making a jig to hold it straight so it wouldn't "pull" when hit with the MIG. Put it back in tractor and plowed both driveways. My problem now is that tractor will NOT go into 3rd gear! Never had any trouble shifting before ! Is the straightness of the shifter that critical that it could be making it hard to shift? It will go into 2nd, but not as easy as it used to :? Any input will be greatly appreciated!

tst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 12514

Postby tst » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:33 pm

check the shift fork for being cracked/broke and the bolt is tight that holds it in place

ad356
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14113

Postby ad356 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 pm

I had an interesting temporary solution to this problem. I have an IH cub cadet transmission laying around. I actually have two of them. anyways I know that they are very similar units with the cub cadet not having final drives and having a shifter that is bent on the end. well I took that cub cadet shifter off and it fit right on the cub. now you just have to grab the shifter by the side, its a little close to the steering wheel tower, but it does work. it put the tractor back into service for the rest of the winter. my wife sometimes complains about some of the "old junk" I have laying around but that "old junk" sometimes has critical parts to keep the machine I am using running. now I have to fix the shifter that was made for the cub, at least now im not under the gun. I realize that those cub cadet transmission are full of parts that can keep my cub alive, gears, shifting forks ect. allot of it is identical and some of it only has minor differences like the shift know.

by the way the dealer wanted highway robbery, $200 just for the shift rod. you could probably have a machine shop make that piece cheaper then that. why even bother carrying something if you not going to make it reasonable in price.

snoman7c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15909
Tractors Owned: 1951 Farmall Cub

Postby snoman7c » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Well, after nearly rubbing a groove in my head trying to figure out what happened to my Cub, I found it! That pressed in piece on the bottom of the shift assembly MUST be seated all the way in :D Since it wasn't seated the whole way in, it limited the travel of the shifter, preventing it from going into 3 rd gear. I will remember this lesson!

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm

ad356 wrote:......... well I took that cub cadet shifter off and it fit right on the cub. now you just have to grab the shifter by the side, its a little close to the steering wheel tower, but it does work. ................
You could get a deluxe seat, they use a bent shifter to clear the seat, and then you wouldn't have to change shifters back :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”