This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Trailer Suggestions

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066
Circle of Safety: Y

New Trailer Suggestions

Postby Stanton » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:31 pm

Am in the market for a new trailer. Currently, I have a utility trailer with siderails (about 12"-14" high) and rail across the front (welded angle iron). Was thinking of something like a car hauler; 16' long x 83" wide with only a low, front rail and side pockets/channels.

What style do you have and do you like it? Let me know your likes and dislikes...thanks!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: New Trailer Suggestions

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:43 pm

Tell us a little more about what you plan to do with it. Only for hauling cubs and implements? You can get 2 cubs on a 16 foot trailer by overlapping the wheels, but it is a VERY close fit, and not enough room for rear or front implements unless one implement hangs over the end.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:50 pm

http://abcinvestments.net/trailers

3rd trailer from bottom. Owned it for about 15 years. Over the years, had to replace the decking and tires. Purchased 3 foot ramps with the trailer. Ramps were to short for loading some tractors with implements. Purchased longer ramps.

When purchased the tires were used, still had good tread, apparently came from a salvage yard.

No problems with the trailer.
I have an excuse. CRS.

midmo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 65018
Tractors Owned: 1947 cub #11248
1948 #39811 trimmed dash
1950 VAC Case

Postby midmo » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:48 pm

I like the side rails to fasten side boards to haul mulch. I wanted the trailer narrow enough that a full size truck or car would not fit on. Help from someone wanting to borrow and over loading.
Ron

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:13 pm

Having several equipment trailers in the past, I've formed my own opinion of what I need in a trailer but no one trailer is best for everything or everyone. Probably the best overall type of trailer is a 5th wheel or goose neck style trailer as far as towing and capacity. Those are also usually the most expensive type of trailer and usually require a heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Myself, I've never owned one nor have I had a big desire to get one. All of my trailers have been "bumper pull" trailers. That leaves the bed of the truck open to haul other stuff, or hold a truck cap or camper.

The trailer I had before my current trailer was a 16' car hauler very similar to the one owned by Eugene. It was a good trailer and I liked the lower deck height but one of my tractors is a '29 Farmall Regular which is about 8' wide and wouldn't fit between the fencers. combine that with the 16' length which made it very difficult to load a tractor and trailer type plow to haul to plow days. Usually I made two trips each way, once to haul the tractor and once to haul the plow. Loading and unloading larger farm tractors like my John Deere A and Regular was a bit dangerous too. The relatively narrow deck left very little room for error. The Regular had half of the steel wheels hanging over the edge of each side of the trailer. Now keep in mind, if I was only hauling Cubs, the width probably wouldn't be an issue and again, I like the lower deck height.

My current trailer is a 20' long 102" wide, deck over (deck over the wheels) with a beaver tail and full width fold down ramp. There is much less drama when loading or unloading tractors. The extra length allows me to drive my larger tractors on board with the trailer plow hooked up and just gives me enough room to fold up the ramps. I can easily load 2 tractors too. I also need a wooden deck due to the steel wheels on several of my tractors.

The extra width is nice and I think it makes it safer loading but with the wider deck you gain deck height so it's kind of a trade off.

The full width ramp makes it really nice for loading and unloading tractors and equipment too.

The ramp with it's expanded metal doesn't cause too much drag but the beaver tail does add to wind drag.

Anyway, that is what works for me and why. Again, everyones need is different which is cool because there are so many different trailers out there you shouldn't have any trouble finding what will work for you.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Rick Spivey
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 29518

Postby Rick Spivey » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:43 pm

Current trailer is a very heavy built 16' tandem axle, with a landscaper expanded metal tailgate. I added brakes to both axles and stake pockets. I discovered the other week that the tailgate costs me about 3-4 mpg, even though expanded metal.

Next trailer? 18' tandem axles, all brakes, low pipe rail with stake pockets, and 3' or so dovetail. Ramps, no gate, and preferably removable that store under the deck (best gas mileage).
Rick Spivey
'52 Cub ("Great Personality") 148xxx
'48 Cub with FH ("Gunny Cub") 38xxx
'57 Lambretta (a slow work in progress)
'74 Triumph TR6 (Mama's toy)

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Rick I agree about those tailgates. They are a huge drag. The difference with and without is amazing
Thomas

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:52 pm

ricky racer wrote:Having several equipment trailers in the past, I've formed my own opinion of what I need in a trailer but no one trailer is best for everything or everyone. Probably the best overall type of trailer is a 5th wheel or goose neck style trailer as far as towing and capacity. Those are also usually the most expensive type of trailer and usually require a heavy duty 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Myself, I've never owned one nor have I had a big desire to get one. All of my trailers have been "bumper pull" trailers. That leaves the bed of the truck open to haul other stuff, or hold a truck cap or camper.

The trailer I had before my current trailer was a 16' car hauler very similar to the one owned by Eugene. It was a good trailer and I liked the lower deck height but one of my tractors is a '29 Farmall Regular which is about 8' wide and wouldn't fit between the fencers. combine that with the 16' length which made it very difficult to load a tractor and trailer type plow to haul to plow days. Usually I made two trips each way, once to haul the tractor and once to haul the plow. Loading and unloading larger farm tractors like my John Deere A and Regular was a bit dangerous too. The relatively narrow deck left very little room for error. The Regular had half of the steel wheels hanging over the edge of each side of the trailer. Now keep in mind, if I was only hauling Cubs, the width probably wouldn't be an issue and again, I like the lower deck height.

My current trailer is a 20' long 102" wide, deck over (deck over the wheels) with a beaver tail and full width fold down ramp. There is much less drama when loading or unloading tractors. The extra length allows me to drive my larger tractors on board with the trailer plow hooked up and just gives me enough room to fold up the ramps. I can easily load 2 tractors too. I also need a wooden deck due to the steel wheels on several of my tractors.

The extra width is nice and I think it makes it safer loading but with the wider deck you gain deck height so it's kind of a trade off.

The full width ramp makes it really nice for loading and unloading tractors and equipment too.

The ramp with it's expanded metal doesn't cause too much drag but the beaver tail does add to wind drag.

Anyway, that is what works for me and why. Again, everyones need is different which is cool because there are so many different trailers out there you shouldn't have any trouble finding what will work for you.

If I could find what I wanted, I would love to have a deck-over trailer configured like this, but with about a 7500 lb. GVWR. Everything I have ever seen was built to haul real heavy equipment on and needed at least a ton truck to pull it.

My hauling rig is a 16' +2' dovetail Load Trail car hauler, like the one in the picture here: http://www.loadtrail.com/detail.cfm?mod ... el%20Frame I've had it since 2003 and I like it. It pulls good, brakes on both axles, ramps are removable so I can use it as a plain ol' flatbed for other jobs. It has rack pockets on the side and I built a set of wood racks for it to haul mulch, etc. I've added a small L-shaped toolbox for my chains and binders, and have welded several D-rings along the rails for chaining down. I can haul a Cub and a Super A on it at the same time if I want to. It's sized right for my half ton truck.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 am

Al, I know what you mean. It took me a while to find mine. It has 2 5000# axles and I can haul about 8000# on it. Most trailers like this are way heavier than mine. If you are shopping for a new trailer you most likely can have one built the way you want and not pay any more than you'd expect to for one off the lot. I was lucky to find mine used.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:39 am

Couple of thoughts. How big/heavy is the tow vehicle? What is your largest expected load weight? How often do you plan on using the trailer?

Fortunately in Missouri, 6 year license plates for trailers are dirt cheap.

Before I purchased my trailer, I paid a neighbor $100- to transport a tractor and implements. That was 15 years ago and fuel costs were much less expensive. Guessing, on my using the trailer a couple times a year, it has paid for itself. Used the trailer to recover daughter's vehicle. Saved considerable towing fees.

Thinking back, my daughter, my dad, and my son, has borrowed, used, the trailer. Paid for itself several times over. Oh. I did add a wench to the trailer tongue to move implements, cars, etc. onto the bed.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:44 am

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts. They've been helpful.

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:Tell us a little more about what you plan to do with it. Only for hauling cubs and implements?

Would use it for an occasional mulch or dirt hauling, but primarily for tractors/equipment. If it had side pockets, I can construct low side boards if needed. My biggest load may be the '45 Farmall H, or a Cub and the No. 100 manure spreader, or two Cubs together. I'm thinking a 16' trailer; any longer and I will have to reshape my driveway to prevent dragging (angle/slope where it meets the road). My 14' drags just a bit now.

Eugene wrote:...How big/heavy is the tow vehicle? What is your largest expected load weight? How often do you plan on using the trailer?

Current truck is a Dodge Ram 1500, 5.9L V8, with HD tow package. Probably use it for hauling tractors 4-6 times a year with each trip not exceeding 100 miles one way.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:01 am

Yes definitely get the pockets. That was a must when I bought my last trailer. I also wanted an 18 footer so two Cubs and any smaller detached implement would fit easy enough.

A Cub and a spreader won't fit well on a 16 foot trailer without overhang in the rear and tucking the spreader tongue under the Cub. I have to disconnect the spreader and scoot it under the draw bar to get it on my trailer.

Also keep in mind, the GVW is the total weight of the load as well as the trailer. If your H is 3,500 pounds and the trailer weighs 2,000 pounds you will have exceeded the GVW. You have probably already considered a 7500 GVW, but I thought I would throw that out there.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:53 am

Stanton, Are you sure you can get a Cub and the 100 spreader on a 16' trailer?

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 am

Barnyard wrote:Yes definitely get the pockets. That was a must when I bought my last trailer. I also wanted an 18 footer so two Cubs and any smaller detached implement would fit easy enough. A Cub and a spreader won't fit well on a 16 foot trailer without overhang in the rear and tucking the spreader tongue under the Cub. I have to disconnect the spreader and scoot it under the draw bar to get it on my trailer.

Also keep in mind, the GVW is the total weight of the load as well as the trailer. If your H is 3,500 pounds and the trailer weighs 2,000 pounds you will have exceeded the GVW. You have probably already considered a 7500 GVW, but I thought I would throw that out there.

Bob McCarty wrote:Stanton, Are you sure you can get a Cub and the 100 spreader on a 16' trailer? Bob

Pipe dream, perhaps. Just don't think an 18' foot trailer is going to do well on my driveway--could be mistaken, especially if I build it up a bit. Good to know. GVWV ratings I'm looking at are at 7,000 (with 2 axles rated at 3,500 each, one brake). Might add additional brake to 2nd axle and a break-away kit.

Like this one: http://coopertrailers.net/detailcargo.asp?ID=68956
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Denny Clayton
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45365
Tractors Owned: Home to "Rusty", the 2007 and 2009 Cub Tug Champion.

Postby Denny Clayton » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:07 pm

Stanton, I went with a 10,000# GVW 18 footer and never regretted it. I always have a good cushion on peak capacity no matter what I haul.

'61 Lo-Boy
'60 FH Lo-Boy
'60 Lo-Boy
'57 FH Cub "Rusty" (CubTug winner 2007 & 2009)
Member of Ohio Chapter 6
Circle of Safety

Return to “Off Topic”