This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Trailer Suggestions

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New Trailer Suggestions

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:13 pm

Stanton,
I was looking at replacing my 5' X 10' "one cub" trailer last year, after much research I ended up with an 18' car hauler (16' flat and 2' dovetail) and so far it has met my needs great! The max I planned on hauling was 2 cubs and it easily handles those.. or one cub and a couple cadets... or a bunch of cadets! I am glad I went with the dovetail, it makes loading easier and safer in my mind, but may create a problem in your circumstance with a drag potential. The length of mine makes positioning it a bit of a challenge in the firends barn where I store it, but I have that down now, not a one person job though. Side pockets are nice, both for tie down options and optional sides as others have noted. I also like the removable ramps that store under the back, I stayed away from the folding ramps for several reasons, including the gas mileage loss noted. I added a side mount spare tire carrier, tongue mount tool box and put a heavier duty jack on it. The box is obviously handy for storing tie downs, blocks and other needed things in one place. I had the jack moved back so, with the trailer hooked up, the tailgate cleared easily when it was open, figured I would forget some time and ding it! The jack is like 8K capacity so I can unhook a loaded trailer if that was ever needed. Another nice option on the jack is a pin comes out and you can quickly drop the bottom down, saves a lot of cranking! I also replaced the regular bulbs for some LED lights, I had two go out and was told the conventional bulbs take a beating on an empty trailer, causing them to blow. I still want to add some kind of jacks to the back to stabilize when loading/unloading.
Here is two cubs on my trailer, first time, before I added the "options" (with one being a LoBoy, shorter, they easily fit).
Attachments
2013-05-30_11-11-52_358_resized (2).jpg
2013-05-30_11-11-52_358_resized (2).jpg (212.69 KiB) Viewed 233 times
David

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:22 pm

dgrapes59 wrote: Another nice option on the jack is a pin comes out and you can quickly drop the bottom down, saves a lot of cranking!

Yes, get this if you can. It takes a lot of cranking to move that jack a foot. If you can pull a pin to drop it you will appreciate it later on.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Mine is still a work in progress. Five and a half by twelve, all home built except hitch, jack and spindles. Used VW Rabbit hubs and spindles (tandem). Made so spindles can be dropped (they are), axle can also be placed above springs to lower. Tandem is on channel iron so it can be moved under trailer to change center of gravity. Has about 2K miles on it, still waiting for paint and floor. Needs hydraulic brakes and stake pockets added.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Another option since the trailer length or beavertail may cause dragging problems is a tilt deck. The tilt deck eliminates the need for a beaver tail so the tail will set higher and besides that, they're pretty cool... :wink:

A trailer like the one above will give the best of both worlds, a nice wide deck and being a deck over the deck will sit higher allowing less oppertunity to drag.
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:25 pm

ricky racer wrote:Another option since the trailer length or beaver tail may cause dragging problems is a tilt deck. The tilt deck eliminates the need for a beaver tail so the tail will set higher and besides that, they're pretty cool... :wink:

The problem I see with that is when you have two pieces of equipment to load. If you haul two Cubs, the front will tilt down once the first Cub is loaded. If you try to drive on it while pulling an implement, it may drop down as soon as the heavier weight of the tractor goes over center causing a lighter implement to hang off the back if it hasn't gotten on the trailer.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:16 pm

Depends on how it's made. I have seen them with hydraulics that raise and hold it up.

A couple thoughts about Trailer GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating); keep in mind it is usually the weakest link that sets the amount. Tires, wheels, hubs, axles all contribute. You may have two 7,500 axles which would be 15,000 lbs but if you have four tires rated for 2,000 lbs on them then your Trailer GVWR is 8,000 lbs.

Make sure you understand how they come up with the GVWR stamped on the trailer. There are a couple different ways to do it and if you are thinking they used method "A" and they used method "B" you could be "C"ing Mr. "D"OT get upset. :(

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:40 pm

In my opinion the best way to get a trailer is to convince a friend to buy it then offer to store it for him. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

dgrapes59
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45067
Tractors Owned: 1951 Cub, 2-1955 Loboy w FH, a few plows, discs, mowers, blades, carrier & such
Several '61 CC Originals, Cub Cadet 100, several 102's & 122's, 124, various CC options & implements, #1Trailer, 1963 Springfield, JD 770, Ford 8N

Postby dgrapes59 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:44 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:In my opinion the best way to get a trailer is to convince a friend to buy it then offer to store it for him. :lol:

You are right there.... but I am on the wrong side..... :cry:
Attachments
20131223_133732_resized.jpg
20131223_133732_resized.jpg (236.74 KiB) Viewed 200 times
David

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 64070
Tractors Owned: 1942 Farmall AV, serial #87025
1947 Farmall Circle Cub, serial #2116
1948 Farmall Cub, serial #46066

Postby Stanton » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:58 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:In my opinion the best way to get a trailer is to convince a friend to buy it then offer to store it for him. :lol:

I like that, John. Good advice!

Also, Scrivet, the actual ball/tongue connection rating. The trailer may be able to carry more weight than the tongue is rated to pull.

I appreciate all the posts from everyone. Good food for thought. I have a buyer for my 14 footer tomorrow, so it looks like I'll be making some decisions real soon. I'll let you know what I decide. Thanks again and have a great weekend!!
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:47 am

Since I have never seen your driveway, I only have limited suggestions, but I have seen where people had a problem with where their driveways meet the street causing vehicles to drag that a grating was added at the curb/gutter to raise it up. That being said, I used to have a 16 foot trailer and could get by with it, but since Scrivet and Rabbit Holler Flash own an 18 footer they store under a shed at my place, if I had to buy one of my own it would be an 18 footer, not a 16. At Sikeston, Mp. there are several places that build trailers, and will design what you need. Check if there is a place in your part of the country that also builds them and could come up with a way to raise it some and give more clearance. Of course if you raise it the ramps will need to be longer. I wonder about putting a tag axle with smaller wheels close to the rear to keep it from dragging. Wouldn't need springs on them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:00 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:I wonder about putting a tag axle with smaller wheels close to the rear to keep it from dragging. Wouldn't need springs on them.

I've seen big castor wheels on the backs of motor homes. My trailers both drag heavily coming in or out of my driveway. I just let the 16' trailer drag, leaving marks on both the drive and the street. I put some 4x4 rubbing blocks on the back of the frame of the gooseneck. Usually, I can go in or out and only the blocks drag. I've had the trailer about 10 years and worn out one set of blocks (needed replacement when about an inch was gone to keep other parts of the trailer from dragging).

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:19 pm

Officially sold my trailer this morning. Also found out that when I pulled out of my driveway to the north (right), it didn't drag at all. :wink: I always pull out to the south (left) because that's the way to the highway and all the tractor shows. That's when it scrapes a little. The road out in front of my house slopes from south down to north (left to right), to I might be able to get away with a longer trailer 16'-18' and just turn to the right (go the back road to the highway).

Anyway, will start the search soon.
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

Stanton
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Stanton » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:46 am

Looked at a local trailer retailer yesterday (Sunday), they were closed but encourage visitors. Saw an 18'x7' (16' flat w/ 2' dovetail) that the rear bottom clearance appears to be higher than my old trailer. That opens up several options. Also got to compare a 16' and an 18' side by side and agree that an 18' might be better.

Will let you know what I end up with... :coffee:
Stanton
Image Circle of Safety

ricky racer
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49120

Postby ricky racer » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:46 am

Stanton wrote:Also got to compare a 16' and an 18' side by side and agree that an 18' might be better.

Will let you know what I end up with... :coffee:

I don't think I've ever heard someone say, I wish my trailer was just a couple feet shorter. :lol: :lol:
1929 Farmall Regular
1935 John Deere B
1937 John Deere A
1941 John Deere H
1952 John Deere B
1953 Farmall Cub

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:37 pm

Barnyard wrote:
ricky racer wrote:Another option since the trailer length or beaver tail may cause dragging problems is a tilt deck. The tilt deck eliminates the need for a beaver tail so the tail will set higher and besides that, they're pretty cool... :wink:

The problem I see with that is when you have two pieces of equipment to load. If you haul two Cubs, the front will tilt down once the first Cub is loaded. If you try to drive on it while pulling an implement, it may drop down as soon as the heavier weight of the tractor goes over center causing a lighter implement to hang off the back if it hasn't gotten on the trailer.

Most of the commercially built versions I have seen tilt hydraulically. To me they don't look like they would pull good though--axles are too near the center.

Several tractor friends have gooseneck deck-over trailers with hydraulic dovetails--the entire deck is hinged behind the rear axles and tilts to the ground for loading. To me that would be the way to go for someone wanting a tilt bed.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Return to “Off Topic”