This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Garden Planter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: Garden Planter

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:53 am

I agree with you dick, my garden is 6,000 sq feet (50x120), and it would take longer to mount a planter than it does to plant it with the Earthway. I have done a lot of planting my hand, but age, 2 artificial hips, and a bad back have convinced me to do it other ways. Kind of like when I got my first cub, it came with a cultivator and I laid my garden out so I had room to use the cub to cultivate it. The first time though, i realized it took less time and work to till it with my rear tine tiller than to change from the belly mower to the cultivator and back again.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Brandon Webb
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40741
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub High Crop
1969 International 140
1975 International Cub

Cub 174 Planter with Row Markers
Cub 201 Planter with Row Markers
No. 27 Corn and Pea Attachments
No. 12 Rotary Weeder Attachment
Pittsburg Carry-Lift
Brookfield Buzz Saw
IH McCormick Seed Plate Test Stand

Postby Brandon Webb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:18 pm

I agree it takes longer to put everything on than it does to plant but it is a hobby. An hour in the garage in the spring time setting up is welcome after a long cold winter of doing nothing cub related. Once you plant simply remove your seed hopper, 2 bolts to remove the runner and bolt your cultivators on and your ready for the rest of the gardening season. I agree the hand planters are very capable. I couldn't see gardening without cultivating and side dressing so if your going to do that your only a runner away from planting with a cub. If you don't cultivate your garden with a cub then it isn't big enough to worry about using a cub to plant with if that makes any sense. These tractors were designed to save time and labor, there really isn't much you can't configure a cub to do in the garden.

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Nice garden, Brandon.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

tmays
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39154
Tractors Owned: 1969 Farmall Cub
1952 Cub
1942 Farmall H

Postby tmays » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I like the earthway planter. Works well for me. If you plant a variety, then extra plates is a plus. With that said, I also have a planter for my cub. Only gets used to plant a small pea patch, but I absolutely love doing it.
Thomas

Papa's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 31553
Tractors Owned: 1966 Int'l Cub, C-2 mower 2005 Farm-Trac, 7ft Harrows and Box blade 1976 Int'l Cub, Woods 59 mower, Turn Plow, Full set of cultivators, Harrows, 174 Planter & Fertilizer unit 1953 Farmall Cub,full set of spring cultivators, wheel weights,
PTO belt pulley, snow plow and misc parts.

Postby Papa's Cub » Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:07 pm

I thank everyone for your prospective, experience and advice. A couple months back I was looking for a set of Cub harrows and complaining about the price of the sets I'd saw on ebay when someone suggested I look on craigs list. I live in rural south Georgia where the towns are more like communities. Craigs list seemed like a long shot, but, worth a try. Two days later a man whom I'd known all my life responded to my ad with a set at what I thought was a fair price. The second best part, he lives only 12 miles from me. So I'll just back off buying a Cub planter for a while and expand my search. I'm probably gonna try one of those walk behind planters this year. Thanks again, Tom.
If you always do what you've always done -- you'll always get what you've always got!

dbboss
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 39338
eBay ID: dbboss
Tractors Owned: '63 Massey Ferguson 35 diesel deluxe
'50 Farmall Cub

Postby dbboss » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:05 am

My Earth way works good enough. Picked it up at a garage sale for $3! I don't need a planter for my Cub, but would love and need a side dresser.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:24 am

rexxon wrote:.

I use a 185 IH unit on a toolbar works great for larger areas,

If anyone wants a real planter for a Cub, this, or a JD 71, is the way to go, or maybe even an IH 184. They will plant a lot more accurately, the 185 or 71 will have disk openers which do a way better job than a runner planter. They are off the charts as far as a "neat" attachment goes, but there is no way I would ever spend $1000 or even $500 for a 172 or a 174 planter, let alone actually expect to plant with it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:58 am

Tom, what do you intend to plant with a Cub mounted planter?
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Xperimental
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47359
Tractors Owned: Farmall 200
1956 Farmall Cub
1961 Farmall Cub
Farmall 460D
International 656D Hi-Clear
Farmall 806D
Allis Chalmers 5020

Postby Xperimental » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:27 am

Super A wrote:
rexxon wrote:.

I use a 185 IH unit on a toolbar works great for larger areas,

If anyone wants a real planter for a Cub, this, or a JD 71, is the way to go, or maybe even an IH 184.

I have a single John Deere 71 that is set up for the Cub fast hitch. I used it for the first time last year and had a lot of problems with it skipping. I think the problem was that I did not have not enough pressure on the drive wheel. My Cub was missing it's depth control lever at the time. This spring I will use it on a Cub with a depth control. I will mostly use it to plant sweet corn.

rexxon
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21853

Postby rexxon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:14 pm

I use my 185 planter on my 385 tractor and have two other units I would like to put on my 240 utility fast hitch toolbar but have not figured out how to set down pressure on the drive wheel, I have to crank good pressure on my 385 toplink to get it to work good. But once set that baby will set'em down as pretty as any thing you ever saw.

I plant almost everything with it, I even plant kale and rape with the beet plate and a special green plate. I know those plates say you need a special knocker and pawl but I rebuilt mine with the standard parts and it works great.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:22 pm

rexxon wrote:
I plant almost everything with it, I even plant kale and rape with the beet plate and a special green plate. I know those plates say you need a special knocker and pawl but I rebuilt mine with the standard parts and it works great.

I've got two 185 units, and corn and bean plates. I want to get some sorghum and other plates for it. I wondered about the special knockers and stuff.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:02 am

I use both...And happy with both...Depends on what and how much I'm planting....A Cub planter is nice,,,but costly....Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 pm

I guess I got lucky. I bought 2 eathway walkbehinds, with full plates for each, and the sdie dressers. I got both of them for 5 dollars a peice. Ive used them for 3 years now and they work great. The only bad thing is with small seends like cabbage seeds, they can wirk themselves behind the seed plate and get ground up. But for corn or beans, they are the best.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Scrivet
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63664

Postby Scrivet » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:38 am

leerenovations wrote:....... I got both of them for 5 dollars a peice......... The only bad thing is with small seends like cabbage seeds, they can wirk themselves behind the seed plate and get ground up...........
Maybe they don't like cabbage :lol: With the money you saved buying the planters you can afford a few more seeds :D

leerenovations
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74857
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick Farmall Cub (Farmalice), 1949 Ford 8N (Red), Unidentified horse drawn road grader with 8 ft moldboard.

Postby leerenovations » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:00 pm

Scrivet wrote:
leerenovations wrote:....... I got both of them for 5 dollars a peice......... The only bad thing is with small seends like cabbage seeds, they can wirk themselves behind the seed plate and get ground up...........
Maybe they don't like cabbage :lol: With the money you saved buying the planters you can afford a few more seeds :D

Well no harm for me. I hate to say it, butthe biggest head of cabbage Ive ever grown was about the size of a softball. Guess the german side of my family never taught me the proper way to grow cabbage.
Tractors are like watermelons: the RED is good and you throw away the GREEN.

Return to “Farmall Cub”