This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rusty gas tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Re: Rusty gas tank

Postby Jason_Coffey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:28 am

Here's a picture of my hole. I don't really think there's much hope for it. It's a shame because the hood itself is in great shape.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (488.27 KiB) Viewed 402 times

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason_Coffey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:39 am

Well after a few minutes of cruising the interwebs, I found this stuff MarineTex http://www.marinetex.com/Marine-Texfaqs.html#Anchor-Marine-44867 that is supposed to be great for fixing rusty holes in gas tanks, among other things. It is resistant to gas. I figure if I can seal it up with this stuff then coat the inside with the red kote I ordered I may be in business. One guy posted a review on Amazon saying that this stuff makes JB Weld look like denture cream, haha!

Worth a shot to save my hood.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:53 am

Typically, when rust holes show up, a major portion of the tank bottom is also rusted. Almost rusted to the point of being holes. Waste of time and money trying to repair.

For the money expended on RedKote and Marine Tex you could purchase a clean solid tank and hood.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason_Coffey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:06 am

I have roughly $37 tied up so far. Please direct me to a hood/tank for $40 I will buy it right now. The cheapest I have found so far is $150 plus freight. I'm trying to contact a guy in AR but I havent been able to get in touch him yet. Not to mention the hood is in great shape I hate to toss out an original piece in good condition. :?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 am

Keep in mind that any replacement tank is not likely to be perfect either. You might end up with one that has little or no rust but needs $100 worth of body work next to the light brackets. If you have one that is truly straight on the outside, I think it is worth an attempt at patching/sealing. If you are doing it yourself, you aren't out that much expense to try it. Just be very careful to exactly follow the directions for your sealer. If it fails, you can go back to looking for the perfect replacement.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:59 am

Jim Becker wrote:Keep in mind that any replacement tank is not likely to be perfect either. You might end up with one that has little or no rust but needs $100 worth of body work next to the light brackets. If you have one that is truly straight on the outside, I think it is worth an attempt at patching/sealing. If you are doing it yourself, you aren't out that much expense to try it. Just be very careful to exactly follow the directions for your sealer. If it fails, you can go back to looking for the perfect replacement.

I think Jim is right on. Notice too your rust holes are in the lowest part of the tank. I bet the rest of the bottom is more solid. You should be able to assess and tell.

If you are happy with the condition of the rest of the tank/hood, I would certainly try to save it.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason_Coffey » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:02 am

I agree. It seems the weak spot is the low center section. I just read about some sealer at Autozone that is supposed to work really well too. My plan is to finish cleaning the bottom of the tank, apply the MarineTex to the bad areas, once dry I will seal over that with the sealer from Autozone, and then seal inside the tank with Red Kote. If that doesn't seal it I don't figure anything will. :lol:

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:01 am

Jason, If you're going to clean the rust on the inside with phosphoric acid (etch and prep, evaporust, etc.) or muriatic acid, I'd suggest you do that prior to applying the MarineTex unless the label clearly states that it is resistant to those acids.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:28 pm

I understand going with a new tank if it is a common hood. Some of us have holes in the tank on hoods that are a bit more rare... like the 1955 "No Holes" hood. I would be very interested to know how the repair works on this hood as I have found my tank to be just a little bit "porous" over this Winter. Started with a 1/4 tank of gas, and now it is bone dry!

Thanks and I'll keep watching for the results!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Mike,

Unless you find evidence of fuel dripping, consider evaporation as the culprit. BTDT. Ask Carl. :D
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jason_Coffey » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:13 am

Hengy wrote:I understand going with a new tank if it is a common hood. Some of us have holes in the tank on hoods that are a bit more rare... like the 1955 "No Holes" hood. I would be very interested to know how the repair works on this hood as I have found my tank to be just a little bit "porous" over this Winter. Started with a 1/4 tank of gas, and now it is bone dry!

Thanks and I'll keep watching for the results!

Mike

I'm just waiting for everything to get here. Once I get started, I'll take pictures as I go.

Hengy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15101
eBay ID: lacrosseorgans
Skype Name: Mike.Hengelsberg
Tractors Owned: 1949 Cub "Merlin"
1955 Cub "Lewis"
Cub Trailer
A-60 Blade
Cub-22 Mower
193 Plow

Postby Hengy » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 am

Don McCombs wrote:Mike,

Unless you find evidence of fuel dripping, consider evaporation as the culprit. BTDT. Ask Carl. :D

Thanks, Don. Yes, there is evidence of dripping along the lower right edge of the tank and also down the right side of the panel. I think it might be from a seam because the inside of the tank looks pretty good. I need to take my tank off and really clean it up and examine, but I have to get Merlin out of the garage first in order to start the teardown on Lewis!

Mike
Mike (Happy as a Lark in Allison Park, PA)
Image Image

Check out my Restoration Thread (1955 Cub, Lewis)

RandyPenn88
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 35224
Tractors Owned: 1953 Farmall Cub

Postby RandyPenn88 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:05 am

Has anyone had any results from using Apple Cider Vinegar to remove rust from the inside of the tank before sealing with RedKote? I have seen many post on youtube and thinking about trying it myself.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:01 pm

Jason:

Take the tank to your local gas tank/radiator repair shop. They can most likely fix the holes and check for any other weak spots. Then they can mig weld it or tig weld the tank, re-clean, seal and do the pit filling and prime it for you. I had Grannys tank done 2 years ago .. cost me about 100 bucks Cdn .. or so .. and it is sealed with Red Kote, primed .. and oh yeah .. the found a mess of pin holes and fixed that right up... they are getting another tank to play with in a few months...

It is also a good safety idea. Red Kote and the other chemicals are not good for ones respiratory system .. ask me.. :(
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”