This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

LoBoy 185 tire size dilemma

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
skorper
10+ Years
10+ Years

LoBoy 185 tire size dilemma

Postby skorper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:47 am

Hello to all. I am having trouble trying to get tire chains for my 1979 LoBoy 184. I used to have a '49 Cub and plowed snow from my drive with the front mount grader blade. I sold that and bought the 184. When I went to try the chains on the 184 they didn't fit the rear tires. They were too short. So I went to my local Tractor Supply Store and asked the man at the special order counter to get me some chains. He was not familiar with Cubs or LoBoys at all. I told him the size of my rear tires, which were listed as 13.6-16.1 on the sidewall. He said I must have written the numbers down wrong as he did not have any listings for that size of a tire at all. I told him that the rims measured seventeen and a half inches and he told me that I wrote the number down wrong for sure then because the second set of digits on the tire size gives the rim size in inches. Then I told him that my chains from my old Cub with 24 inch rims were too short. He said that was not possible, if my new rims were only 17 and a half inches. He basically acted like I was nuts and quit talking to me, except for saying to go check the numbers again. So I left the store and went to check my numbers again on the sidewall. Sure enough, the tire size was 13.6-16.1, but upon checking further, I see that below that it says it is for mounting on 11 inch rims?! What gives? Maybe someone can explain this to me.
I may be getting older but I still refuse to grow up.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:17 am

skorper - tire sizes get confusing sometimes but the guy selling special orders at your Tractor Supply store should know better. He is in the wrong business.
The first number of the tire size indicates the tread width of the tire 13.6". The statement on the tire that says "for 11" rims" indicates the tire is intended to be used on a rim that is 11" wide. Rim width is measured at the inside edges of the bead flanges. The other number 16.1 indicates rim diameter at the bead seat. So if you measured 17 1/2" to the outside edge of your rims, that would be about right.
Even though the rim diameter is much smaller than the standard 24" cub rim, the increased width and height of the turf tread tire on your 184 will require a larger set of chains since the overall size of the wider tire is greater.
If you go to http://www.tirechain.com you will find chains to fit your lo-boy.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:12 am

You can't expect the guy behind the counter to know everything about everything, especially with what they pay at a "big box" store like TSC. Even a true tire expert may not know every size tire that's ever been made off the top of his head. At some point, he's going to have to rely on some sort of reference material. If the size isn't listed in his reference material, he's going to question whether you're giving him the right information.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:25 am

Matt, I agree that you can't expect a sales clerk to know everything about everything, but from skorper's description of the clerk's comments indicates he has an "attitude". That is one of the greatest downfalls of the "Big Box" stores. The staff is ill prepared to assist a customer if they can't find it on a shelf somewhere. That is why it is so frustrating sometimes to shop in places like that.
I guess I remember too much from the days when stores used to provide service as well as products.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:00 am

BigDog has it right, I went to TSC in Warren Ohio and i got the run around when i was trying to get blades for my c3 mower. First the clerk, wanted me to bring the blades in and when I did he told me he would call me back for a price. Two weeks went by and no call so I went back and brought the blades back and he told me the same thing to wait for a call. GRRRRRR! Skorper , i hope you have better luck somewhere else.

skorper
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby skorper » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:22 pm

Thanks BigDog for explaining it clearly and to all of you for your comments. You are a great help. There is still a Case/IH dealer within a half an hours' drive from me but in the past two years we have lost two locally owned and very helpful shops here in town. The first was another Case/IH dealer and the other was a small engine Lawn/Garden supply store and repair garage that was familiar with the old magneto ignitions and could still order aftermarket parts such as 6volt generators, etc.
I may be getting older but I still refuse to grow up.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”