This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Painted over serial # plate

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Tom Clark
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44021

Painted over serial # plate

Postby Tom Clark » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Looking at a cub and the serial number plate has been painted over . Is there a way to remove the paint without ruining the way the plate looks under the paint?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Painted over serial # plate

Postby Bob McCarty » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:26 pm

Tom, I can't offer a suggestion other than that Tim Talleur (tst) makes a clear decal that overlays the SN plate and makes it look like new. I would guess you'll need to use a paint remover to get the paint off and the black with come with it.

Bob
"We don't need to think more,
we need to think differently."
-Albert Einstein

Jason_Coffey
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 74011
Tractors Owned: -
1958 F Cub with Woods 42C
1962 LoBoy with FH & Mott Flail

Postby Jason_Coffey » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:36 pm

Acetone and shop towels will remove most of it. The serial should be stamped and easy to make out once some of the paint is removed. You can buy new plates and brass rivets? if you decide to buy it. The brass rivets/pins just push in.

Jack fowler
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby Jack fowler » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:25 am

If the paint on the plate is alkaloid-based paint (like IH/Case… ect) try a soft bristle tooth brush with alkaloid-based paint thinner on it and rub gently. You can buy the thinner at Walmart…the cheap stuff.

Rob in NH
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 03848
eBay ID: panelbeata
Tractors Owned: 1947 circle cub
1950 cub demonstrator
1957 cub
1967 cub

Postby Rob in NH » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:44 am

you can also use lacquer thinner. i then used some of tim's overlay decals on the plates, look like new after that.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:49 am

When I was a kid I remember scraping the paint of my Super A's serial number plate (by then it had been repainted about 20 years) with a screwdriver. Oh yeah. You know what they say about the Lord looking out for fools and children--the plate was almost pristine when I was done! It was a real thick coat and it just peeled right off. Old plate still looks good today.

THe previously suggested methods are all good. You have to be careful with the early-mid 50s Cubs with the sort of script serial number stampings. My experience has been that they're stamped so shallow it's easy to obliterate the numbers. I wouldn't use anything abrasive.

Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Brutalfly
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 64011
Tractors Owned: 1973 International Cub S# 241812

Postby Brutalfly » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:53 am

That is one thing I have seen when I have looked at tractors that I don't like.
I have never understood why people don't tape it off or put some time of cover on it or remove it.
I think the plates look pretty cool and can pop out at you.
I hope you get the paint off of it

Return to “Farmall Cub”