This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor Setting or Startup Procedure

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
pferguson1962
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 76513

Carburetor Setting or Startup Procedure

Postby pferguson1962 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:33 pm

I've just completed the rebuild on my cub and almost got it started. I was so excited that it kicked off and ran like it should. Let me start by saying that I purchased a original style IH carb off of E-Bay (seller said it was off of a running cub) to replace the Zenith carb that someone had put on it years ago.
I choked it a little while starting and it kicked off really good. It ran for about a minute or so before shutting off. I tried multiple times with and with out choke but it would never really kick off and run again. I did notice that I had gas dripping out of the bottom of carburetor where the air cleaner connects. My first thought was that it was flooding. I did not change the set screw on the carb since it came from a "running" cub.
Does anyone have advice on setting the carb and getting everything set up so that it will start and run as it should? A failsafe startup procedure would be great.
Thanks Paul

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carburetor Setting or Startup Procedure

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:30 pm

If you did nothing to the carb, chances are that some accumulated crud was broken loose during shipment and is now lodged in the main metering jet.
First -- remove the pipe plug in the bottom of the bowl and let a cup or two of gas run in to a clean clear container. Then check for contaminants in the bottom of the container. I'm confident that you will probably find some. Replace the plug.
Second -- With the gas shut of at the sediment bowl, remove the main metering jet from the side of the carb (brass hex head near the very bottom of the carb). Examine the holes for foreign material and use a small soft wire (a piece of copper telephone wire works great) to clear the obstruction. Spray the jet with carb cleaner being careful to protect your eyes. Repeat the process and blow the jet out with air. Before reinstalling the jet flush the carb with gas, catching the outflow in that clean clear container. Check the container for contaminants, if clean. Reinstall the jet.
Third -- Turn on the gas and fire it up.

If you are unable to get clear gas to come out of the carb, it is time for disassembly and a thorough cleaning of the carb.

Good Luck.
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

pferguson1962
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pferguson1962 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks for advice Bill. I will give your suggestions a try. What about the jet screw at the top of the Carb? How should it be set?

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:36 pm

For now, I would leave the screw where it is and see how it preforms after following Bill's advice. Once the Cub is running it can be determined what to do next.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

pferguson1962
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pferguson1962 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 pm

Okay, quick question.. It's late and I can't seem to find where to create a new post/question about a different topic. I have another question to post but can't find the link like I have in the past.Hopefully one of you guys will see this and help me out.

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Postby Barnyard » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:16 pm

At the top of the Cub Forum you will see a button that says "New Topic". Click on it to start a new topic.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”