This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Wouldn't you just know it?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Wouldn't you just know it?

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:06 pm

Ok. I'm just about done with that cheap metal pressure plate I had installed new when I had the tractor rebuilt in 2010. The adjustment screws (flat screwdriver type) ears continued to break off making adjustments all but impossible.

Some of you were kind enough to suggest trying my old original IH pressure plate. Ok, I agreed. But where in the heck did I put it after moving? I knew I had seen it after the move, but in that little shed there is so much stuff it is hard to find much of anything.

This past weekend I was working on something else, (can't even remember what that was now! :roll: ), when I had to get something out of one of the tool drawers. The drawer I was trying to get open wouldn't open, and I kept stepping on something on the floor.

In frustration, I moved the creeper that I was stepping on, and found a couple of other things under it. Moved a couple of them, and there was a flat looking IH box. Yep, opened it and there was my old pressure plate. :{_}: I picked it out of the box, looked at the pressure plate facing, and it was smooth as the brand new one. Ah hah! Now we're talking.

I tried to press down on the springs, and no go. Plenty of spring pressure left in them. I removed one of the adjustment screws and took it to Lowes with me for sizing.

No, Lowes didn't have what I needed. But, here's the adjustment screw size: 5/16-24 x 3/4". Adjustment lock nut was I think .186 inches tall +/- according to my digital calipers.

Ordered Hex allen screws from McMaster-Carr in 1" lengths with the 5-24 threads along with grade 8 lock nuts. Test fit shows I'm on the track.

Why the extra 1/4 inch? Many of us have run into not having enough threads to get better adjustments. I figured an extra 1/4 inch would give me all I needed without hitting anything under there. So, I hope to get the Cub split soon and replace the pressure plate.

Dale Finch: Get with me if you haven't put your tractor together yet. This might be a reasonable upgrade to your Cub if it's still split.

Cheers!
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dale Finch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27517
Tractors Owned: '51 Cub #140966 "Bruno" with Woods 59 mower
'55 Cub #187541 "Betty" with Fast Hitch
'55 Cub #190482 "Ben" with Woods 42 mower
'55 Cub #191739 "Bertha" with Woods 42 mower
'56 Cub #194370 "Boris" with Mott Flail mower

Re: Wouldn't you just know it?

Postby Dale Finch » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:08 pm

My '55 Cub is not only no longer split, but day before yesterday I started for the first time since total "Exploded Parts Diagram" imitation!! The Mechanic in the Sky must have been looking out for me, because he (Ben) started right up and everything worked!!!

So...are you coming up to Boss'? I arrived a couple hours ago, and the gang is on their annual bus trip. Just hope Ed behaves himself!! Come on up!
Dale Finch
Circle of Safety

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:22 am

" The Mechanic in the Sky must have been looking out for me, because he (Ben) started right up and everything worked!!!"

Wow, Dale. I always thought Zeus was into turning wenches, not wrenches. :roll:

Unable to make anything extra happen right now. Way too many brands in the fire. These are the times when I need at least four or five of me to help get things done.

Oh well. That's life.
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:47 am

SundaySailor wrote:....... These are the times when I need at least four or five of me to help get things done.......
for me that would mean 4 or 5 times the mistakes. :cry:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:56 am

Me and you both John.

Billy

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:21 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:
SundaySailor wrote:....... These are the times when I need at least four or five of me to help get things done.......
for me that would mean 4 or 5 times the mistakes. :cry:

Now John. Don't confuse the issue or any of my multiple personalities, ok?

We already have enough of a hard time trying to agree on something. :help:

Return to “Farmall Cub”