This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Portable Planers

Got a project that you are working on that is not a tractor? Maybe a barn to hold your tractors or just fun stuff like woodworking, glass, tools, sheds, gardens, custom implements, etc., this is the place to talk about it.
tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

Portable Planers

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:13 am

I managed to break a casting (pot metal) on my old Dewalt 12" planer. The guides had seized from setting too long and I used a little too much force. Dumb move. Anyway, I've been looking at the new offerings, and while I was perfectly happy with the Dewalt, Rigid is quite a bit cheaper. With the vast knowledge, experience and wisdom available here, does anyone have any advice. My current project will involve about 32 bd. ft. of ash for my 51 Chevy pickup bed, most involves red oak and poplar. Local sawmills are quite a bit cheaper than buying from lumber yards. If I had room and money. I'd get a floor model like we had in high school shop. John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100

Re: Portable Planers

Postby Barnyard » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:25 am

John, I am not familiar with their planer, but I use a few Rigid tools. They seem to be better and I believe they have a better warranty also.
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:54 am

I've used their pipe tools all my life (Dad was a plumber/heating man too). I figure their power tools should be OK, but I just thought I'd get some input. John

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:14 am

Consider Delta and Porter-Cable products.

Cost a bit more initially. But, and a big but, parts are still available for machines 30 and 40 years old.

Edit: I use to buy Delta equipment for the school's Industrial Arts/Technology shop because of their quality and parts availability. One spring I ordered a new Delta 12" diameter disk sander. Returned to school just before classes started in fall to find a green, off the wall, unfamiliar named, 12" disk sander sitting in the shop. I called the supplier and inquired as to why, when I has specifically ordered a Delta. Supplier said the school district had changed the order and selected this machine because it was $10- cheaper.
I have an excuse. CRS.

Pabst
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44333
Tractors Owned: Farmall cub 56-Spartacus
International cub 76
Cub L-F 194 Plow
Cub F38 Disk Harrow
Cub L-F1 Platform Carrier
Cub 54 Leveling Blade

Postby Pabst » Fri May 09, 2014 1:16 pm

John,
You may consider the outlet for porter cable and Dewalt. I know there is a porter cable in Valley view and Dewalt in Akron.

v w
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49053

Postby v w » Fri May 09, 2014 3:20 pm

There certainly are a lot of choices. I have a Rigid bandsaw. Parts can be a problem. Gave up and converted to Carter bearing guides - $180. Have a Delta planer. I like it but ..... the blades cannot be resharpened. The blade indexing works well and just put the blades in an you're ready to go, no need to set even. Delta blades from dealer $64, Amazon $48. Aftermarket blades from Amazon $29. I can see no difference. I reuse lumber and for that reason alone would use cheap blades but it is quick enough to change blades that an old set could be used for the first couple of passes. Aftermarkets are China, Delta are Taiwan. Vern

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 am

John:

I am still using my old Makita and I like it a lot. I have milled literally tens of thousands of bd/ft and lin/ft for everything from hardwood flooring to muntin bars for 9 over 9 lite doors.

Delta is not what it used to be although it is still one of the best provided the castings are the ones produced in Taiwan and not in China. Big difference! Any of the castings for most major brands that are mediu to high quality are done primarily by RexCut in Taiwan as they own all of the casting rights for Delta, Rockwell, Beaver and many others. Global economics I guess.

As far as Rigid - I have their shop vacuum and that is it. The rest of my power tools are either DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Milwaukee or Skil - pro series.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Projects Forum”